Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk 
Thread started 17 Jan 2015 (Saturday) 16:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Using a CPL for wildlife

blackchrome
625 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2012

Jan 17, 2015 16:06 |  #1

Hope I didn't miss this somewhere in another thread, was curious if anyone is using one in the field on larger wildlife SPECIFICALLY during harsh day lighting and if they where happy with the results. Or any negative feed back. So pro/cons/and or preferred brand with good results.Thank you!

Stacy Shane

sponsored links
Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,034 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 4 years ago by Tom Reichner.

Jan 17, 2015 22:34 |  #2

Stacy, could you explain what a CPF is? I googled it, and the first page did not yield any pertinent results.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006
Post edited over 4 years ago by sandpiper.

Jan 17, 2015 22:52 |  #3

I am guessing that they mean a CPL.

I don't really see a use for one in wildlife photography as it won't have any effect on the animals, however it could be useful to bring out a blue sky in the background, or reduce the reflection in water or off foliage if that was what they wanted. Personally, whilst I do use CPLs with other subjects, I don't use them when shooting wildlife or birds.

blackchrome
THREAD ­ STARTER
625 posts
Joined Feb 2012
Post edited over 4 years ago by blackchrome.

Jan 18, 2015 06:39 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #4

Tom, yes I meant CPL, and thank both you for responding. Right now I just see a lot of dull skies in my shots and I do not want to overly process them to correct. I was hoping to get a little feed back on anyone using them that had positive results and or negative. If they added to shadow's ect. Just overall effects on the images minus what they are known to do. I just didn't want to drop a lot of money on one to regret the purchase. But at the same time was curious on overall results.
And I will see if I can get the moderators to change my tittle.

Stacy Shane

blackchrome
THREAD ­ STARTER
625 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jan 18, 2015 06:48 as a reply to  @ sandpiper's post |  #5

Yes Sandpiper you nailed it. I just seem to be dealing with a lot of extreme lighting right now. Was hoping for better color contrast in my dull skies. Without overly effecting the photo. Shadowing ect..... Was just curious if anyone was using them getting good results on wildlife images.

Stacy Shane

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
15,926 posts
Gallery: 2498 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 18, 2015 08:35 |  #6

Theres some that think its a must for birds and small critters and I see there point in what they shoot but here where I live I'm walking through bush and such chasing what ever it is Im after. I don't bait so I cant setup and wait for the critter to walk up to me. So I have just found a way to shot in very minimal light and just make the best of it. I still shoot everyday so its not like I wait for the good day. I can say some of my most interesting stuff comes from bad light shining through.

Shot handheld leaning on a solid

For instance this guy, don't try this at home lol,....wait I was at home............1/20, f5, iso400, 214mm,.............

IMAGE: https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2910/14236724635_5c44401721_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/nG3W​ez  (external link) IMG_6035 (external link) by Jeff Manser (external link), on Flickr

...............1/25, f5, iso800, 300mm

IMAGE: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5537/14230802941_23132d976e_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/nFwz​Vp  (external link) IMG_6176 (external link) by Jeff Manser (external link), on Flickr

Jeff ........, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

blackchrome
THREAD ­ STARTER
625 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jan 18, 2015 08:51 as a reply to  @ Pondrader's post |  #7

Thanks for the input Jeff, and spectacular shots, that guy is huge he is eating well! Love how intense the color of his coat is. Beautiful.
I am leaning on picking one up and just experimenting with it to see what kind of results I end up with. I'm sure with that I will no when it will be useful and when not. For now it will have to wait though.

Stacy Shane

blackchrome
THREAD ­ STARTER
625 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jan 18, 2015 08:58 as a reply to  @ Pondrader's post |  #8

Also Jeff I have a lot of open country here, We do have the heavy wooded areas but right now a lot of game is in the lower wintering ground so I am getting a lot of shots that are sky lined so to speak.

Stacy Shane

blackchrome
THREAD ­ STARTER
625 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jan 18, 2015 09:00 |  #9

Here's a low res example from facebook where I wish I had more dramatic tone's in the sky.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Stacy Shane

Pondrader
15,926 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited over 4 years ago by Pondrader.

Jan 18, 2015 09:57 |  #10

I see what your getting at, I never liked the light in the eye from the flash, so I just take what I can get, I would just walk around them until I can get on eye level,..tell a couple Moose jokes and they'll follow you anywhere.

are you using lightroom ??

flickr (external link)

blackchrome
THREAD ­ STARTER
625 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jan 18, 2015 10:04 as a reply to  @ Pondrader's post |  #11

I did Jeff it didn't work lol. They just rolled their eyes.

Stacy Shane

Pondrader
15,926 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 18, 2015 10:23 |  #12

lol

flickr (external link)

blackchrome
THREAD ­ STARTER
625 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jan 18, 2015 10:26 as a reply to  @ Pondrader's post |  #13

Opp's missed this Jeff, that's a yes on the lightroom.

Stacy Shane

Pondrader
15,926 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 18, 2015 10:45 |  #14

Stacy where do you live ??

flickr (external link)

Pondrader
15,926 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited over 4 years ago by Pondrader. (3 edits in all)

Jan 18, 2015 10:50 |  #15

Those bear shots were the worst shooting condition's ever just try setting you camera at 1/20 and see just how hard it is to get the shot without motion blur. all I did was concentrate on holding that camera so steady trying not to rock the camera pushing that shutter. I have to say I took quite a few trying to get a handful that were good. didn't look until it was all over. I was shooting the 7D and I hate noise and it was getting dark. one more thing,...he was fresh out of the den stuffing himself with grass imagine how big he was by fall. gota find him again??

flickr (external link)

sponsored links

5,045 views & 0 likes for this thread
Using a CPL for wildlife
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.