Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 15 Aug 2013 (Thursday) 19:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

It's Already 2AM: 35th Edition... Welcome to The Blue Oyster Bar.

this thread is locked
FJ ­ LOVE
Cream of the Crop
20,883 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jan 18, 2015 17:33 |  #7696

solepatch wrote in post #17388340 (external link)
Alright so I've been switching back and forth between Tidal HI-FI and Spotify whenever I've been on the computer this weekend. If you're an audiophile and have a good pream and set of speakers or headphones(I have used both with my M-Audio BX-8a monitors and Sennheiser 404 HD headphones) there is a perceptible difference in the audio quality. The music does tend to sound a little fuller and a little warmer, I believe most people will probably notice that there is generally more bass, but my roomate didn't hear any difference in the highs although I could. It isn't a huge difference however and for some songs I didn't really hear any difference at all. I also tried listening on my roomates laptop speakers, and the earbuds I use with my phone for running. I couldn't hear a difference at all, so if you don't have access to pretty good hardware I would save your money and go with Spotify.

I tend to prefer the Spotify interface for both the PC and Android versions over Tidal's. It's mostly just an aesthetic thing but functionally the biggest advantage is that it shows the songs on each album together so that you don't have to go to each album's page to see the songs from that album. I also feel like the search function on Spotify works a bit better, it is usually able to predict what it is that I'm looking for before I get the entire title or artist name typed out. I did not find this to be the case with Tidal. I have not really tried out the discovery options on Tidal but Spotify gives you a much larger list of similar artist than Tidal does.

Spotify has a slightly better selection, for big name artist both platforms have pretty much the same stuff on offer and the big omissions from Spotify seem to be consistently missing from Tidal as well. Where spotify eeks ahead here are with artist that aren't as well known, I noticed this when going through last months BIRP.fm playlist(which anyone that is into indie artist should check out) and adding the songs I like to my playlist and Spotify had noticeably more of them. Spotify also includes singles and where the artist appears on compilation albums in their discography as well which is nice.

I would love to see a social feature like what Spotify offers in Tidal, I have a lot of friends who I agree with musically and being able to see what they are listening to is amazing. I would also love to see the listen and find feature from Tidal implemented in spotify, this is similar to Shazaam where the app can listen to a song and find it in the library. Otherwise they seem to be pretty even feature wist. A feature that I am very happy to see from Spotify is the ability to download anything you want for playback when you don't have a data/internet connection. I use this daily for my commute to and from work.

The price difference is pretty massive though, with Tidal twice as expensive as Spotify I don't think I will be making the switch. For most people I think spotify is probably the way to go just because I doubt most people have the hardware needed to hear the difference, its cheaper, a little more polished, offers a slightly larger library, and if you're going to use it with mobile you will probably be turning the bit rate down so that you don't have to sell your soul to your wireless provider. It is very cool though that the option is out there, and I hope that Spotify sees this and gets motivated to offer FLAC themselves at least for offline playback.

thanks for the thorough review and your opinion, i just found Tidal and can really notice a sound quality difference, i don't use it on my phone but use my USB out to a DAC on 3 separate systems , each one better and of upgraded quality and studio monitor speakers so i get the full dynamic range Tidal offers, having said that $20/month while not a lot of money seems like a lot when i can listen to most of these songs on my own library, still deciding what to do 8-)

DILLIGAF about your bicycle or your gear

sponsored links
FJ ­ LOVE
Cream of the Crop
20,883 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jan 18, 2015 17:34 |  #7697

tonyniev wrote in post #17388345 (external link)
Comet Lovejoy with Pleiades- Canon 5D2, 70-200 mm at 70 mm, iso 6400, F2.8, 20 seconds on Celestron CG5 mount

nice work Tony :-D

dgrPhotos
Cream of the Crop
7,501 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2011
Post edited over 7 years ago by dgrPhotos.

Jan 18, 2015 19:01 |  #7698

One from today. Some harsh lighting early on.

IMAGE: http://www.dgrphotos.com/img/s6/v138/p1063211043-5.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.dgrphotos.c​om/p471804544/e3f5f502​3  (external link)

vipergts831
Has the TF retired? Or just being utterly lazy?
44,123 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Apr 2009
Location: Taking better shots with an iPhone than MDJAK with a 1DX

Jan 20, 2015 09:46 |  #7699

Computer is all built out and runs blazing quick. My cousins loaded witcher 2 and ran it on maxed out settings with no issues at all. They were mighty impressed although witcher 3 would be a problem when it releases :lol:

Only hiccup we ran into was the PSU. None of us knew that newer PSU (Corsair brand) does not stay on but rather only turns on when temps reach a certain level. So when we were first testing the build (before bolting it inside the case) we saw the fan turn on for a quick spin then just turn off. We were dumbfounded. Thought something was wrong with the PSU as everything else was up and running. A quick google search confirmed. Corsair actually ended up adding that first power up quick spin due to so many people calling them thinking something was wrong since nothing happened. :lol:

-Omar- Flickr (external link) , 5px (external link)
Phaseone 645DF+...because only the best will make up for my lack of skills.
Beginners worry about gear, professionals worry about skill and masters worry about light

Blurr ­ Cube
...a lucky id-iot that didn't get electrocuted...
15,147 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 20, 2015 09:51 |  #7700

vipergts831 wrote in post #17391211 (external link)
Computer is all built out and runs blazing quick. My cousins loaded witcher 2 and ran it on maxed out settings with no issues at all. They were mighty impressed although witcher 3 would be a problem when it releases :lol:

Only hiccup we ran into was the PSU. None of us knew that newer PSU (Corsair brand) does not stay on but rather only turns on when temps reach a certain level. So when we were first testing the build (before bolting it inside the case) we saw the fan turn on for a quick spin then just turn off. We were dumbfounded. Thought something was wrong with the PSU as everything else was up and running. A quick google search confirmed. Corsair actually ended up adding that first power up quick spin due to so many people calling them thinking something was wrong since nothing happened. :lol:

Yeah, I'd definitely think something was wrong if the psu fan didn't spin at all. I'd be confused too by a quick spin up. :lol:

| Canon EOS Systems |

Blurr ­ Cube
...a lucky id-iot that didn't get electrocuted...
15,147 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 20, 2015 09:53 |  #7701

dgrPhotos wrote in post #17388814 (external link)
One from today. Some harsh lighting early on.

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://www.dgrphotos.c​om/p471804544/e3f5f502​3  (external link)

Yeah, looks pretty bright in some spots. 8-)

| Canon EOS Systems |

vipergts831
44,123 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 20, 2015 10:09 |  #7702

Blurr Cube wrote in post #17391222 (external link)
Yeah, I'd definitely think something was wrong if the psu fan didn't spin at all. I'd be confused too by a quick spin up. :lol:

Yeah it was totally weird. Once we started running programs you can see it spin up and once witcher 2 was running you could really see it go to work :lol:

Beginners worry about gear, professionals worry about skill and masters worry about light

FJ ­ LOVE
Cream of the Crop
20,883 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jan 20, 2015 10:31 |  #7703

good stuff Omar (apple shares are down with the rumors you are leaving) :lol:

i had the skinny geek over last night, thinking about upgrading my board and processor and adding a new SSD as my old one is starting to slow down, left over parts will be used to beef up some of my older PC's, enjoy your new rig

DTBaan
THREAD ­ STARTER
"male gigolo"
14,858 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 20, 2015 10:41 |  #7704

FJ LOVE wrote in post #17391265 (external link)

i had the skinny geek over last night, thinking about upgrading my board and processor and adding a new SSD as my old one is starting to slow down, left over parts will be used to beef up some of my older PC's, enjoy your new rig

so.. were you satisfied?? :-P

DTBaan
THREAD ­ STARTER
"male gigolo"
14,858 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 20, 2015 10:44 |  #7705

I have the same psu. and I like that the fan doesn't operate unless it's heated up. the one feauture I liked for my so called quiet system :)

when playing games the gpu fan is the one making the loud noise. which makes me want to get the newer gpu with the new design. bigger fan and open flow will benefit my needs :D

vipergts831
44,123 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 20, 2015 10:57 |  #7706

FJ LOVE wrote in post #17391265 (external link)

ROFL! @ Apple stock!

Awesome man! Any thoughts of what you want to upgrade to?

DTBaan wrote in post #17391280 (external link)

Ayo!

DTBaan wrote in post #17391287 (external link)
I have the same psu. and I like that the fan doesn't operate unless it's heated up. the one feauture I liked for my so called quiet system :)

when playing games the gpu fan is the one making the loud noise. which makes me want to get the newer gpu with the new design. bigger fan and open flow will benefit my needs :D

Yeah totally weird at first! But like you i like that much better than always on.

Funny i read reports about the R9 290 being loud but the saphirre tri-x version didnt seem to be loud at all even with the 3 fans it has built into it.

solepatch
Goldmember
1,202 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2012

Jan 20, 2015 13:59 |  #7707

vipergts831 wrote in post #17391296 (external link)
ROFL! @ Apple stock!

Ayo!

Yeah totally weird at first! But like you i like that much better than always on.

Funny i read reports about the R9 290 being loud but the saphirre tri-x version didnt seem to be loud at all even with the 3 fans it has built into it.

Same for my R9 280's from Sapphire. I had read that they would be loud but they are definitely quieter than my old single card setup.

Aaron
Canon 6D | 70D | Σ35 F/1.4A | Tamron 24-70 F/2.8 Di VC USD | 40 F/2.8 | 85 F/1.8 | 70-210 F/3.5-4.5 | Rokinon 14 F/2.8 | 430ex ii | YN-622C | Zoom H4N
Canon EOS M | 22 F/2 Pancake | C/Y Zeiss 50 F/1.4 t*

FJ ­ LOVE
Cream of the Crop
20,883 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jan 20, 2015 17:35 |  #7708

DTBaan wrote in post #17391280 (external link)

I'm never satisfied  :p

FJ ­ LOVE
Cream of the Crop
20,883 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jan 20, 2015 17:38 |  #7709

vipergts831 wrote in post #17391296 (external link)

i picked up a new SSD today (samsung 850 pro) looking at a new board , CPU and memory for my upgrades everything else is still top drawer stuff

DTBaan
THREAD ­ STARTER
"male gigolo"
14,858 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 20, 2015 18:14 |  #7710

FJ LOVE wrote in post #17391843 (external link)
I'm never satisfied  :p

Well... If you keep it for too long your hand might break.

..... Oh.... Wait.... :p

sponsored links

1,046,886 views & 407 likes for this thread
It's Already 2AM: 35th Edition... Welcome to The Blue Oyster Bar.
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.