Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 19 Jan 2015 (Monday) 10:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Off camera flash

freestylee30
796 posts
Gallery: 164 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 19, 2015 10:41 |  #1

This is all very new to me! The first time was a complete failure (but a learning experience) and until now I wasn't happy enough with the results to bother sharing. This weekend I finally got my wife and son to sit down with me again for a few shots and I'm thrilled enough with the results to at least share this time around :-)

(I've also been practicing my B&W conversions a little)

IMAGE: http://bmaps.zenfolio.com/img/s12/v170/p1060635257-5.jpg

IMAGE: http://bmaps.zenfolio.com/img/s12/v171/p656708792-5.jpg

IMAGE: http://bmaps.zenfolio.com/img/s12/v172/p873298355-5.jpg

IMAGE: http://bmaps.zenfolio.com/img/s5/v116/p804419170-5.jpg

I have one more shot from this set (my wife) that I used for my 52 week project, if you are interested: https://photography-on-the.net …hp?p=17389167&i​=i85353958

Brandon | zenfolio (external link)| ♥ feedback ♥
Eternal Blue Forever Green
Image Editing OK

CANON 5DIV 50 f/1.8 85 f/1.8 135 f/2L 70-200 f/2.8L IS II
ROKINON 14 f/2.8 | TAMRON 15-30 f/2.8 VC 24-70 f/2.8 VC | SIGMA 35 f/1.4 Art |

sponsored links
Derf
604 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 19, 2015 10:43 |  #2

I like the color versions

Canon 7D / Canon 40D / Opteka 6.5mm / Sigma 18-35 1.8 / Canon 50mm 1.4 / Canon 50mm 1.8 / Tamron 28-75 2.8 / Tamron 70-300VC
WWW.LongIslandWallpape​rs.com (external link)

ShutterTonight
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Dec 2014

Jan 19, 2015 12:06 |  #3

I would lose the heavy vignetting

heinekid
50 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Jan 19, 2015 12:10 |  #4

they good really good to me...gj!

-train hard, get haunafied #haunafied
Canon stuff | Tamron stuff | Pocketwizard stuff | f-stop stuff | Pelican stuff

Griffey24
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Nov 2014

Jan 19, 2015 12:44 |  #5

Looks great to me!

What gear / flash are you using?

What did you change from your first "failure", to this time around?

Thanks for sharing!

Gart
462 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 19, 2015 13:29 |  #6

Brandon,

I prefer the color more than the B+W's.

Vignette, if you purposely did this, doesn't bother me but a little tighter crop (especially on your son) to lose some of the dead space would work.

If I had to find something that I would pass to learn from, it would be: The shadow from your wife's nose crosses her lip. The shadow from your son's fades away at that point (corner of lip). Although your shot is not done in true Rembrandt style, the shadow shouldn't touch the lip.

These are good shots. You and your family should be pleased with the results.

Gart

freestylee30
THREAD ­ STARTER
796 posts
Joined Jun 2007
Post edited over 5 years ago by freestylee30.

Jan 19, 2015 14:22 |  #7

Thanks for the opinions and compliments so far guys, appreciate it.

ShutterTonight wrote in post #17389783 (external link)
I would lose the heavy vignetting

Gart wrote in post #17389925 (external link)
Brandon,

I prefer the color more than the B+W's.

Vignette, if you purposely did this, doesn't bother me but a little tighter crop (especially on your son) to lose some of the dead space would work.

If I had to find something that I would pass to learn from, it would be: The shadow from your wife's nose crosses her lip. The shadow from your son's fades away at that point (corner of lip). Although your shot is not done in true Rembrandt style, the shadow shouldn't touch the lip.

These are good shots. You and your family should be pleased with the results.

Gart

Yes, the Vignette was done on purpose (playing with Radial filter in LR). I realize not everyone likes vignette/heavy vignette but personally I liked it better than without. It was one of the last things I did to the image.

Good info on the shadows Gart, thank you. I'll try and keep a better eye on this next time. I know there are all sorts of "styles" but I don't know yet how to recognize or setup for each. I was just going for something that looked "ok" in my limited testing. I really should be spending more time on the reading part of learning, but it's so much more fun to "do" ;-)a

Griffey24 wrote in post #17389855 (external link)
What gear / flash are you using?

I went pretty cheap for the setup because this isn't something that I think I am going to do all too often, but it was still something I wanted to learn to do. Honestly, I'd prefer to be outside hiking and aiming my camera at landscapes, but it's winter, the weather is crappy and I'm lazy.. so anyways...

I'm using a Speedlite 430 EX (I've had for a number of years) and then I picked up the following:

Yongnuo RF-C603 (external link) (wireless shutter / flash trigger) - I chose these because they were pretty cheap, had good enough reviews, plus I could buy more and link together, and I liked that they doubled as radio shutter release. I figured if I ever got into this more and needed a better system, at least I'd have these as RF remote shutter that is wayyyy more flexible than my cheap IR one.
Westcott 43-inch umbrella (external link)
Cowboy Studio light stand (external link)
Cowboy Studio umbrella stand mount bracket (external link)

Yes, I am reading The Strobist - Lighting 101 (external link) :lol:

Griffey24 wrote in post #17389855 (external link)
What did you change from your first "failure", to this time around?

It was the first of a couple trial and error testing runs and really came down to the sync between flash and camera. I honestly still don't know where/why I am being limited, but after some more reading and more testing it looks like I'd limited to 1/160 for everything to sync up right. Once I figured this out, then I was able to concentrate more on where to position the umbrella, power of the speedlite, etc.

Question for those of you that specified you preferred the color versions - is it my conversion that you don't like, or just in general for this type of shot you prefer color? Curious, thanks!

Image Editing OK

Gart
462 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 19, 2015 15:30 |  #8

Regarding the question: "Question for those of you that specified you preferred the color versions - is it my conversion that you don't like, or just in general for this type of shot you prefer color? "

Comparing the color to the B&W's: On your son, the greys work good with the background (the yellow not so much but not overwhelming). For your wife, the blue top, color of hair, color in lips and skin is too good to not want to see it (the blue isn't the best color with grey background but it is very vivid).

Also, the lights in your wife's eyes are spot on.

Gart

Griffey24
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Nov 2014

Jan 21, 2015 09:21 as a reply to  @ Gart's post |  #9

I just think the colours look great on their own. Especially with your son, I like that his shirt (the grey) kind of blends with the background, but the yellow stands out more. His eyes look good in colour too.

ready ­ to ­ snap
595 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Jan 21, 2015 09:50 |  #10

Freestylee30, great job on the pics. For someone is is just learning you are way above the curve. I am taking notes and learning from this thread.

Griffey24
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Nov 2014

Jan 21, 2015 10:00 |  #11

freestylee30 wrote in post #17389993 (external link)
I went pretty cheap for the setup because this isn't something that I think I am going to do all too often, but it was still something I wanted to learn to do. Honestly, I'd prefer to be outside hiking and aiming my camera at landscapes, but it's winter, the weather is crappy and I'm lazy.. so anyways...

I'm using a Speedlite 430 EX (I've had for a number of years) and then I picked up the following:

Yongnuo RF-C603 (external link) (wireless shutter / flash trigger) - I chose these because they were pretty cheap, had good enough reviews, plus I could buy more and link together, and I liked that they doubled as radio shutter release. I figured if I ever got into this more and needed a better system, at least I'd have these as RF remote shutter that is wayyyy more flexible than my cheap IR one.
Westcott 43-inch umbrella (external link)
Cowboy Studio light stand (external link)
Cowboy Studio umbrella stand mount bracket (external link)

Yes, I am reading The Strobist - Lighting 101 (external link) :lol:

It was the first of a couple trial and error testing runs and really came down to the sync between flash and camera. I honestly still don't know where/why I am being limited, but after some more reading and more testing it looks like I'd limited to 1/160 for everything to sync up right. Once I figured this out, then I was able to concentrate more on where to position the umbrella, power of the speedlite, etc.

Question for those of you that specified you preferred the color versions - is it my conversion that you don't like, or just in general for this type of shot you prefer color? Curious, thanks!

Thanks for the info on the gear. I recently got a 430EX a few months ago, but haven't used it that much yet. That gear you listed is definitely in my price range for what I would first look to if I was going to dive more into this. Really useful, thanks!

freestylee30
THREAD ­ STARTER
796 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 21, 2015 14:52 |  #12

Gart wrote in post #17390083 (external link)
Regarding the question: "Question for those of you that specified you preferred the color versions - is it my conversion that you don't like, or just in general for this type of shot you prefer color? "

Comparing the color to the B&W's: On your son, the greys work good with the background (the yellow not so much but not overwhelming). For your wife, the blue top, color of hair, color in lips and skin is too good to not want to see it (the blue isn't the best color with grey background but it is very vivid).

Also, the lights in your wife's eyes are spot on.

Gart

Griffey24 wrote in post #17392895 (external link)
I just think the colours look great on their own. Especially with your son, I like that his shirt (the grey) kind of blends with the background, but the yellow stands out more. His eyes look good in colour too.

Thanks for replying re: color or b&w, appreciate it. I like the color versions better too. I've been meaning to practice b&w conversion and recently the only thing I've had to photograph has been people/portrait, so that's why I did both in this instance.

ready to snap wrote in post #17392942 (external link)
Freestylee30, great job on the pics. For someone is is just learning you are way above the curve. I am taking notes and learning from this thread.

Appreciate those kind words, thank you!

Image Editing OK

cali92rs
179 posts
Joined Oct 2014
Post edited over 5 years ago by cali92rs.

Jan 21, 2015 17:15 |  #13

I think the color one's look great. They both have really nice colored eyes.
I personally like the vignetting. My only small niggle is maybe cropping some of the left off the boy's photo.

Edit: Gart beat me to it.

6D, 16-35mm f4L IS, 24-105mm f4L, 50mm f1.8 STM, 135mm f2L, Tamron 70-300mm VC

sponsored links

2,722 views & 0 likes for this thread
Off camera flash
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.