Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
Thread started 13 Dec 2014 (Saturday) 17:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Moving from Canon to Olympus

MarkoPolo
Goldmember
2,203 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Dec 13, 2014 17:30 |  #1

I have shot Canon SLR's and DSLR's since 1998 and Canon point and shoot longer than that. I have no qualms about Canon quality, especially with L level glass. But last year at Yellowstone, the weight of a 7D with battery grip and the 70-200 f/2.8 II just became too much. And a full kit is now almost impossible to get into a legal sized carry on for air travel.
So. last January, I sold my 70-200 (on this forum) and bought the Olympus OMD-E-M1 body and 12-40mm f/2.8 Pro lens. Sort of a trial run if you will. I figured I could back out and return to Canon if the Oly gear was not up to snuff.
Well, it's a year later and I now have a rather complete set of Oly lenses, with the new 40-150mm f/2.8 Pro just arriving. Honestly, as Olympus fills out their Pro line of glass, I can't think of any reason to stay with the much larger and heavier Canon gear. In my opinion, the sensor and image quality is far above the 7D (don't know about the 7D Mk II) and the body is built like a Swiss watch, with more pro features than the 7D for sure. While waiting for Oly's 300mm f/4 Pro lens (remember, field of view is twice 35mm) I still am using my Canon 400mm f/5.6 manually with an adapter. My expectation is the new 40-150mm f/2.8 will track moving objects well, even close to the 7D. I'll report back as I get a chance to use it that way.
My wife's Christmas present is an OMD-E-M1, 12-40mm f/2.8 and the 40-150mm f/2.8. So we are now well on our way to Oly Land:lol:
I much agree with Michael Reichman's comments on Luminous Landscape that 16 MP on a 4/3 sensor is enough for anything short of huge prints. So far I am very pleased with Olympus's offerings and really like the smaller size and lighter weight. Now, with the forum being open to other brands, I look forward to posting shots here and discussing the pro's and con's of the switch.
Look for a lot of Canon gear on the for sale forum in the coming weeks.
Mark

Mark

Olympus OM-D E-M1 pro body, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 Pro lens, M.Zuiko 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 ED SWD lens, M. Zuiko EC-14 1.4 Teleconverter, M. Zuiko 60mm f/2.8 Macro lens, M.Zuiko 9-18mm f/4-5.6 lens, M. Zuiko 75-300mm f/4.8-6.7 II lens, Canon 400mm f/5.6 L lens with Canon to OLympus converter, Nissin Di-466 Flash

sponsored links
britinjapan
224 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Dec 13, 2014 19:00 |  #2

I had the Olympus OMD for about a year, and the 75mm 1.8 as well as Voigtlander 25mm 0.95 which I enjoyed a lot, but Im glad that I kept my Nikon D700, and later got the Df, before selling the Olympus. The weight difference is substantial, but there is something that the micro 4/3 cannot do - can't put my finger on it - but the photos were flat. They did a very good job, and the lenses are very fine, but its not a substitute to a DSLR by Canon nor Nikon. Ive now got the 6D, and happy Im back in DSLR only land. Think carefully of selling your gear. You may want to revisit having both. The Olympus for travel, and the DSLR for stuff like portraits is my opinion.

Canon 6D, 35mm F2 IS, 50mm F1.2L, 85mm 1.2L, 135mm F2L, 24-70 F4L, Tokyo, Japan

TMaG82
Goldmember
1,080 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2008
Post edited over 4 years ago by TMaG82.

Dec 13, 2014 19:14 |  #3

The E-M1 is a great camera and the lens lineup is very mature. I had a great 5-6 months shooting the E-M1, granted at the time I only shot with the 12-40 and the Panasonic 25 1.4. A big reason I didn't keep it is because having an infant I was shooting indoors the majority of the time and even with a 1.4 prime there was visible noise shooting indoors, even at lower ISO and viewing on an iPad screen. Also after shooting in 3:2 format for so much of my shooting life, changing to 4:3 just seemed 'off' to me.

I love shooting with DSLRs and would continue to do so now if it weren't for the size/weight of it all. I've found a setup that will work for me at the present in an a6000, but I do look forward to one day being able to shoot with a FF DSLR again. Maybe by then Canon will have a good enough sensor (I kid of course  :p)

Current Gear: Sony a7III, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
HEX Brand Ranger Clamshell Backpack, Ranger Sling

ccrider650
46 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Dec 20, 2014 07:25 |  #4

I kind of find myself in same boat. I’ve only had my E-M1 for a short time but find my 7D is not getting much use these days. The size and weight on the EM1 makes is more usable, so it gets taken more places.
It would be nice to use the funds from selling the 7D and lenses to fund more gear on the Micro 4/3 side of things. I’m just afraid in a year or so I may regret it. We all have different situations but it’s hard for me to justify keeping both sets of gear.

I guess it’s nice to be able to have choices…. :-)

Olympus E-M1, Oly 9-18, Oly 12-40, Oly 75-300

stink ­ tooth
245 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Dec 21, 2014 00:59 |  #5

I have had both formats for a while now and they both serve a role, and serve that role very well. Unlike most whom cant see switching form one to the other, I cant see not having both for intended purpose. The OMD line does not replace the full SLR kit, rather it complements it and is a reasonable substitute when the situation allows

bsmotril
Goldmember
2,516 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2006
Post edited over 4 years ago by bsmotril.

Dec 21, 2014 14:55 |  #6

I shoot a Canon 1DIV and 5DIII and have also owned an Oly EM5, presently have an Oly EM1 and EPL7. While the Oly's make great travel cameras and can produce beautiful results with a Metabones speed booster and fast Canon glass.....I could never give up my Canons at this point in time. The Servo AF and tracking ability of the Olys is not even close to Canon's capability for shooting sports or objects that change acceleration and direction quickly. If that aspect is not a requirement for the photography you do, one could be very happy with the results produced by the Oly bodies and their pro lenses.

Gear List
Galleries: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/smopho/ (external link) --- http://billsmotrilla.z​enfolio.com/ (external link)

ccrider650
46 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Dec 21, 2014 19:52 |  #7

bsmotril wrote in post #17344735 (external link)
The Servo AF and tracking ability of the Olys is not even close to Canon's capability for shooting sports or objects that change acceleration and direction quickly.

That's a good point. Not something I use a lot but it's nice when I need it. I guess another thought would be to save the Canon with a couple lenses for the soccer games and use the Oly for the rest.

hmm keep both?

We'll see...

Olympus E-M1, Oly 9-18, Oly 12-40, Oly 75-300

John_N
Goldmember
1,182 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 23, 2014 14:13 |  #8

I may be missing something but why bother with metabones?
The point of MFT to me is to keep it small and light - why bold on a Canon lens? I often find its not the body but the lens that makes DSLR so large and heavy.

flickr (external link) (magsnorton)
: Google+ (external link) : My Site (external link) : 5oopx (external link)

Strick
535 posts
Gallery: 85 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 23, 2014 15:20 |  #9

bsmotril wrote in post #17344735 (external link)
The Servo AF and tracking ability of the Olys is not even close to Canon's capability for shooting sports or objects that change acceleration and direction quickly..

Yes and no. I find it struggles with something like BIF but can handle certain sports pretty well. If the subject is large enough and somewhat predictable it can be used effectively. I have shot velodrome racing and USPSA Shooting with it and gotten some good results.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

www.strickphotography.​com (external link)

amanda_melb
66 posts
Joined Oct 2010
Post edited over 4 years ago by amanda_melb.

Dec 31, 2014 18:55 |  #10

I have a E-M1 and a E-M10 and can't stop thinking about selling half my kit for a 6D. What I'm thinking of selling is the E-M1 Pro kit with the 12-40F2.8, FL600R flash, battery grip and my 75mm F1.8 Zuiko for the 6D and 24-105L + a prime lens.

I've loved the E-M1 but I get frustrated with it in in low light. There is several shoots I do regularly where I can't really use flash as it will disturb the participants. I also find the E-M1 hunts with the 12-40 pro on it in certain low light situations.

I figure I can keep the E-M10 + Samyang 7.5mm fisheye + 17mm F1.8 and the 40-150 F4 I have for fun walk around/travel camera.

I like to shoot my fast Italian Greyhound in flight too, but the E-M1 struggles a bit tracking her but guessing the 6D will as well??

But I'm still not 100% sure if this is the right move for me or not.

Canon 6D - Canon 50mm F1.4 USM
Olympus OM-D E-M10 - Samyang 7.5mm Fisheye - Olympus M. Zuiko 17mm F1.8 - Olympus 40 - 150mm
flickr (external link)

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
6,996 posts
Gallery: 69 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 01, 2015 12:05 |  #11

stink tooth wrote in post #17343954 (external link)
I have had both formats for a while now and they both serve a role, and serve that role very well. Unlike most whom cant see switching form one to the other, I cant see not having both for intended purpose. The OMD line does not replace the full SLR kit, rather it complements it and is a reasonable substitute when the situation allows

Great explanation that I agree with.

I'll have to say in good light the Oly is very impressive. I just dont feel it could ever replace my gear for serious shooting. I rely too much on higher iso performance to stop action while keeping the files relatively noise free.

In the OP's application I think the lighter form factor will be quite rewarding.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 50-140 | TT685
Sony A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS

ThatFireGuy
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Jan 01, 2015 20:39 |  #12

I'd say the same as the last two posters... in good light (daylight) I feel pretty decent wandering around with just the Oly, but as soon as the light fades enough to need to bump up the ISO, I notice the noise in a hurry. I don't see the Oly as replacing my 6D, but it's more than adequate for complementing it in the right situations. I've used the Oly to get some wonderful landscapes and family pictures, and anytime I need or want to roll with a lighter kit I grab the E-M5. But I do love the low-light capability of the full-frame Canon, and can't see myself moving solely to micro 4/3. Both are great tools with slightly different capabilities.

Canon 6D, 70-200mm f/4 IS L, 50mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.8, FDn 135mm f/2 (Ed Mika conversion), Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 24mm f/1.4 Art. Olympus E-M5, 12-40mm f/2.8, 75mm f/1.8.
flickr (external link)

Guille
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Jan 02, 2015 09:39 |  #13

I had the Canon 5D MKII and thought it was too heavy so I went and got a Rebel SL1 and love it. The image quality is excellent and very light, I also bought the 40mm pancake lens which is also great.
About a month ago I sold my 5D MKII and bought a 6D which has better IQ, it's lighter and in my opinion better. Latelly I have been using the Canon 35mm f/2 IS as my main walk around lens and I also carry a 85mm f/1.8. and a Sigma 12-24mm (which is heavy but is real wide) I am considering getting the 70-200 f/4 IS soon. I can shoot full frame with not so much weight and if I want to go really light I go with the SL1.

bsmotril
Goldmember
2,516 posts
Joined Feb 2006
Post edited over 4 years ago by bsmotril.

Jan 21, 2015 01:11 |  #14

John_N wrote in post #17347821 (external link)
I may be missing something but why bother with metabones?
The point of MFT to me is to keep it small and light - why bold on a Canon lens? I often find its not the body but the lens that makes DSLR so large and heavy.

I use plenty of 4/3 lenses. But the bokeh and focus isolation one can get with a cheap Canon 85 F1.8 and a metabones is magic to my eyes. Therein lies the beauty of 4/3......for about 1/3 the cost of what a Canon 50mm F1.2L would cost, I can get the same effect with an M43, Canon glass I already had, and the speedbooster. IT is also pretty awesome to put the 100-400L zoom on their too and shoot some birds outside.

Gear List
Galleries: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/smopho/ (external link) --- http://billsmotrilla.z​enfolio.com/ (external link)

scokar
Goldmember
1,072 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005
Post edited over 4 years ago by scokar.

Jan 25, 2015 20:16 |  #15

I picked up the OMD E-M1 in mid-December. I'm in the process of moving from a 5D Mark III system to "The Oly Land" [Silent 'H' i guess :)]

The E-M1 does need to bump up the ISO in lower light settings compared to the 5D. I don't mind too much as processing software keeps improving.

The autofocus system of the 5D will be _sorely_ missed. leagues above the E-M1.

Now i just need to convince people to buy my Canon gear.

and if any of you are having second thoughts and want to sell your 40-150 Pro lenses off dirt cheap, let me know :)

sponsored links

9,580 views & 7 likes for this thread
Moving from Canon to Olympus
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.