Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Performing Arts 
Thread started 02 Jan 2015 (Friday) 19:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Mikael Akerfeldt of Opeth- Gas Monkey Live in Dallas, Tx Dec. 13, 2014

raeannaj
67 posts
Joined Dec 2014

Jan 02, 2015 19:05 |  #1

Here are two versions of the same photo.

#1) Adjusted to decrease haze, play with the beams, make sharper, and reduce noise.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

#2) I wanted to play with the mood of the photo.

HOSTED PHOTO

I am completely new to this so suggestions are welcome.

sponsored links
raeannaj
THREAD ­ STARTER
67 posts
Joined Dec 2014

Jan 02, 2015 19:06 |  #2

Here is the original photo... #3

HOSTED PHOTO

raeannaj
THREAD ­ STARTER
67 posts
Joined Dec 2014

Jan 02, 2015 19:07 |  #3

I know the images needed to be sharper in camera. Nothing I can do to fix that now other than adjust what I can in post work.

BJWOK
Cream of the Crop
5,901 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 04, 2015 19:55 as a reply to  @ raeannaj's post |  #4

Was actually gonna suggest that exact thing - looks like this shot missed focus? Either way, the recovery you did is nice :)

My name is Benon (BJWOK are my initials) :)
www.bjwok.com (external link) <<-- NEW LIGHTROOM CC & LIGHTROOM CC CLASSIC PRESETS FOR MUSIC PHOTOGRAPHERS
Benon Koebsch - Photographer (external link) (Facebook)
Gives A Minute (external link) (YouTube channel)

raeannaj
THREAD ­ STARTER
67 posts
Joined Dec 2014

Jan 05, 2015 12:11 |  #5

Thank you. I was hoping the images didn't look over-processed. Certainly out of focus but it was such a cool moment I didn't want to toss it. It looks better scaled down to a smaller size.

onona
511 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited over 3 years ago by onona.

Jan 15, 2015 14:40 |  #6

I'm sorry but I'd have to respectfully disagree. I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but in my opinion, there is nothing worth saving in this shot. You missed the focus, the composition feels unbalanced, and you have a microphone eating his head. I can see why you'd want to shoot the moment, as the light beams are lovely, but unfortunately everything in the execution here went wrong. Bad luck, or perhaps simply your lack of experience, probably a combination of both - either way, better luck next time! I find I learn something new at every gig, so hopefully you'll take away a lesson here. If you see the lights doing something cool, the first thing you need to do is move to a position where you've got a good framing of the performer. Then line up your shot, wait for the lighting to be just right, and shoot. Timing and patience are probably the hardest lessons to learn in live performance photography.

Leigh
I shoot concerts and stuff. (external link)

raeannaj
THREAD ­ STARTER
67 posts
Joined Dec 2014

Jan 18, 2015 20:55 as a reply to  @ onona's post |  #7

That is exactly why I posted in this forum. I am totally green and am figuring all this out. I do not take offence to your comments. I know the shot is lacking as are other images I took. This is merely a springboard to figure out what works and what doesn't. Unfortunately for me, the variables did not align this night. It happens. I am not discouraged.

I have some friends who play locally in small venues I can tag along with to work on this art. It will be helpful to move around freely and change shooting positions. It is limiting to be stuck in a tight crowd with people slamming into you from all angles. Trying to frame a shot and maintain focus in those conditions is ridiculous! Not to mention trying to protect your gear from being damaged.

Overall, I think I just need to shoot more and explore as much as I can. I get on here and look at a ton of work from all of you. I am reading through some sources for pointers. I just purchased new gear which is exciting. Now I have to get out there and learn how to use the darn thing!

At any rate, I appreciate your comments here.

onona
511 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited over 3 years ago by onona.

Jan 21, 2015 16:11 |  #8

Yup yup, just keep practising! As I mentioned, patience and timing take time to learn, and those were the two things that I found made the biggest difference in my own photography. When you wait for the right moments, you end up with a lot more keepers than throwaway shots. Watching the lighting is key, as the lights tend to move in a pattern that you can predict after watching for a few seconds. When it comes to live photography, I personally feel the lights are what make or break an otherwise good shot of the performers - you can get a great expression and moment, but if the lights are crap, so is the shot.

I didn't realise you shot this from the crowd, so I can imagine now your frustration at not being able to change angle. If it's any consolation, sometimes the pit itself can be totally rammed, forcing you to stay put. As such, an experience like this can actually be good practice as you're forced to get creative with a limited angle.

Anyway, good luck with your next shoot.

Leigh
I shoot concerts and stuff. (external link)

raeannaj
THREAD ­ STARTER
67 posts
Joined Dec 2014

Jan 22, 2015 15:39 as a reply to  @ onona's post |  #9

Thank you! Hopefully I will have some better shots on the next post. I look forward to hearing more feedback in the future.

sponsored links

1,195 views & 0 likes for this thread
Mikael Akerfeldt of Opeth- Gas Monkey Live in Dallas, Tx Dec. 13, 2014
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Performing Arts 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.