Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 13 Jan 2015 (Tuesday) 13:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Who uses a 135L for street photography?

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jan 21, 2015 18:02 |  #31
bannedPermanent ban

Personally, I would never use the 135L for street shooting. I like wides to get right into the street scenes rather than shooting from the outside looking in...but that's just my style. For me, its either a 35 or 24 for street.

sponsored links
Xyclopx
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2008
Post edited over 4 years ago by Xyclopx.

Jan 21, 2015 20:13 |  #32

Hogloff wrote in post #17393697 (external link)
Personally, I would never use the 135L for street shooting. I like wides to get right into the street scenes rather than shooting from the outside looking in...but that's just my style. For me, its either a 35 or 24 for street.

I think that the wider angles do tend to put the viewer closer, but I think more importantly than the focal length or angle of view is the tightness of the shot, and whether the subject appears to recognize you.

For instance, if you took a 300mm shot of a closeup of a person's face with his eyeballs staring straight in your direction, as a viewer of the resulting image, wouldn't you be fooled into thinking you were right there staring eye to eye with the dude?

Photographs themselves are illusions. There is no photograph that reasonably resembles how the original image looked in your mind. The trick is make the viewer see what you want them to see.

So, I would argue that focal length may not be that important sometimes. Just something to ponder.

Dean Chiang (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear (external link)
My Photos (external link)
Instagram @xyclopx (external link) @feetandeyes (external link) @gastramour (external link)

Lenty007
221 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined May 2006
Post edited over 4 years ago by Lenty007.

Jan 22, 2015 01:35 |  #33

The beauty about street photography is the versatility.
One likes to go wide for more story telling.
Others like to go narrow, like myself "in search of the perfect spontanious portrait".
Make no mistake, wide angle or huge tele, the subjects KNOW when you have taken the shot.
In most of the cases people are cool with it but, exceptionally, some need a bit TLC to ensure them that you're not taken advantage.
For the photographs point of view its fun to do with the changing moments. It keeps you on your toes and be aware of your surroundigs.

For this thread I've chosen two examples, one with my beloved 400F2.8 and the other with (a more handholdable) Tamron 150-600 at 600.
The pics are untouched (besides made smaller) so I suppose exif will be present.

Good luck out there and have fun!

Greetings,

Alain

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Xyclopx
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 22, 2015 09:27 |  #34

Lenty007 wrote in post #17394193 (external link)
The beauty about street photography is the versatility.

exactly.

Dean Chiang (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear (external link)
Instagram @xyclopx (external link) @feetandeyes (external link) @gastramour (external link)

Masa ­ Yume
36 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Feb 19, 2015 13:07 as a reply to  @ Lenty007's post |  #35

Thanks for that insight and xyclopx's as well. I've been on the fence for this lens for a long time. I used to tell myself that pure street depended on using wide angle lens and getting close, since that's the way some of the more well known street photographers do. I was doing what they did.

After doing that for a few years, I've come to realize that I don't always want the subject to be aware of what I'm doing, because waiting for the shot can negatively influence the subject. By being 5 ft away, I'm interfering with what's happening.

I think a 135L might be fun to try street in a different way.

Xyclopx
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Joined Jul 2008
Post edited over 4 years ago by Xyclopx.

Feb 19, 2015 13:49 |  #36

Masa Yume wrote in post #17439353 (external link)
Thanks for that insight and xyclopx's as well. I've been on the fence for this lens for a long time. I used to tell myself that pure street depended on using wide angle lens and getting close, since that's the way some of the more well known street photographers do. I was doing what they did.

After doing that for a few years, I've come to realize that I don't always want the subject to be aware of what I'm doing, because waiting for the shot can negatively influence the subject. By being 5 ft away, I'm interfering with what's happening.

I think a 135L might be fun to try street in a different way.

IMAGE: http://pics.xyclopx.com/img/s6/v139/p567301520-5.jpg
Three Men (external link) by Dean Chiang | Xyclopx (external link)

This was a shot using the long end (70mm) of my zoom lens. I was standing across the street. I realize that most people aren't gonna like the color processing, but I think converted to BW it would be an interesting shot for the masses. (I actually took ~100 photos of the same people/area over 30min, standing in the same place, trying to get the absolute most perfect situation and composition. I cannot believe none of them gave me the eye or the finger!--though I'd take a shot of that too ha ha.)

Anyway, I think this shot breaks many "rules" of street photography. It's not gonna be liked by all, but whateverz right?

I'd love to try the 135L... and it does beautiful portraits too.

sponsored links

14,142 views & 6 likes for this thread
Who uses a 135L for street photography?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.