Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 22 Jan 2015 (Thursday) 17:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Problem with colors in Photoshop

deviangel
201 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited over 4 years ago by deviangel. (2 edits in all)

Jan 22, 2015 17:46 |  #1

Hello,

Please , I need your help.I have a problem that I noticed recently. When I shoot a picture on my Canon 60D display it looks all great and good but when I open my raw in PS and I save the picture I get really really cooler pictures. I have to press Proof Colors in PS in the VIEW menu in order to see how the saved picture will be like and it looks nothing like the original showed in the Camera Display. I've reset the setting on the camera, re-installed PS, I have set the color setting and profiles matching the camera and PS and still the same thing. This is how its shown in the Camera LCD Display

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

This is what I get when I save it. I only get the same picture in PS after I press proof colors and have RGB monitor choosen.

HOSTED PHOTO

I am really scared that it might be the sensor but I doubt it, if it was the sensor it would show it the same in the Camera Raw window and Ps just different in the LCD display. Please do help me guys/girls I am really lost :(

Canon 6D | Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM | Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM |
https://500px.com/devi​angel

sponsored links
deviangel
THREAD ­ STARTER
201 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 22, 2015 17:49 |  #2

And these are my color settings :

Camera Raw

HOSTED PHOTO

Photoshop

HOSTED PHOTO

Damo77
Goldmember
4,617 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 22, 2015 18:03 |  #3

What screen do you have, and how is it calibrated?

Damien
Website (external link) | Facebook (external link)

deviangel
THREAD ­ STARTER
201 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 22, 2015 18:44 |  #4

Damo77 wrote in post #17395305 (external link)
What screen do you have, and how is it calibrated?

I have asus g75vw I know that the monitor is FULL HD and I think it has 3D, I just changed windows and installed the drivers on my GTX 660M... If you are asking for my monitor on the PC I guess I haven't calibrate it. How do I do that ? Is it like software or?

Damo77
Goldmember
4,617 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 22, 2015 18:46 |  #5

No, hardware. A device such as an X-Rite or Spyder.

Damien

Damo77
Goldmember
4,617 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 22, 2015 18:47 |  #6

http://damiensymonds.b​logspot.com …-monitor-calibration.html (external link)

Damien

deviangel
THREAD ­ STARTER
201 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 22, 2015 19:02 |  #7

Damo77 wrote in post #17395367 (external link)
No, hardware. A device such as an X-Rite or Spyder.

living in such small and poor country its impossible to find those things, that's why I prayed it was software....

Do you think the calibration is the problem?

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,745 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008
Post edited over 4 years ago by kirkt. (2 edits in all)

Jan 22, 2015 20:03 |  #8

I'm not sure I understand what I am looking at - the first picture in the first post is how the image looks on your CAMERA LCD? How are you capturing that image? The second picture you posted in your first post is the resulting image that appears in PS after you open your raw file (presumably in the ACR interface) and then render it to an image with the Adobe Standard camera profile in ACR - what are your white balance and tone settings during raw conversion?

I am confused as to what specifically is the problem. Are you worried that the default ACR raw settings do not match the JPEG preview of the raw that shows up on your camera's LCD? They should't necessarily match, especially if you use a different default white balance and camera profile.

When you proof colors, what proofing profile are you using(EDIT - I see you chose RGB monitor profile - sorry!)? I don't see how this has any postiive correlation to the image on your camera's LCD except for by coincidence.

Please clarify.

kirk

Kirk
---

deviangel
THREAD ­ STARTER
201 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 22, 2015 20:21 |  #9

kirkt wrote in post #17395475 (external link)
I'm not sure I understand what I am looking at - the first picture in the first post is how the image looks on your CAMERA LCD? How are you capturing that image? The second picture you posted in your first post is the resulting image that appears in PS after you open your raw file (presumably in the ACR interface) and then render it to an image with the Adobe Standard camera profile in ACR - what are your white balance and tone settings during raw conversion?

I am confused as to what specifically is the problem. Are you worried that the default ACR raw settings do not match the JPEG preview of the raw that shows up on your camera's LCD? They should't necessarily match, especially if you use a different default white balance and camera profile.

When you proof colors, what proofing profile are you using(EDIT - I see you chose RGB monitor profile - sorry!)? I don't see how this has any postiive correlation to the image on your camera's LCD except for by coincidence.

Please clarify.

kirk

The first image is how the picture looks on my camera LCD, how I am capturing that image and how it looks in Adobe Camera Raw. When I save it and view it, post it on stock image sites or even put it on flickr it looks like the second picture no co-relation with what I'm viewing on my camera LCD.

It has no correlation that is my problem, If I proof it I can see how the save file is going to be which is very different than the image on the camera LCD, the image I capture.

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 22, 2015 22:14 |  #10

I never trust the image I see on the camera LCD for judging exposure or colours, as it isn't all that accurate. It is really only there so you can see if you got the shot or not.

Also you have to understand the difference between what you see on the camera and what you see in a raw editor, they are two different files and can look very different. The raw image on your computer is just that, raw data converted to an image by the software on the computer to a set of default values that you have chosen (or not, if that is the case, but it still has default values). The image on your LCD is a jpeg that has been processed, often significantly, and will display those changes. If you are not using a picture style that is quite minimal in what it does (such as faithful or neutral) then the processing could be cranking up the contrast and saturation, changing the colour balance (landscape for instance punches up the greens, portrait attempts to get the best flesh tones) and more. If you have some fairly heavy mods going on in picture styles, they will ONLY affect the jpeg and that is what is used on the camera LCD. The original (unpunched) raw could look very subdued by comparison, but you will only see that on your computer.

I can remember when I first started using raw I got quite disheartened when opening files in PS, they initially opened all bright and punchy then after a few seconds went comparatively drab and lifeless (until I processed them). This was because PS first opened the jpeg preview file while it rendered the raw file, then switched to the raw.

Some camera LCDs do have a slight colour cast as well (my original 5D has a quite noticeable one) and that could explain why one image is warmer on the camera than on the computer. You are looking at different files, processed differently, on different hardware, which may not be calibrated identically. I would be very surprised if they looked identical.

ejenner
Goldmember
3,736 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 22, 2015 22:36 |  #11

First think I would do is shoot raw+.jpeg and load up the .jpeg into PS.

Then if the raw looks different, it is just the processing, so perhaps you can set the defaults appropriately in ACR. Comparing those will have nothing to do with monitor calibration.

Now if the .jpeg looks way different than in PS, then you need likely need to adjust your monitor (it might be bet too blue). However, that is dicey because LCDs are not exactly reliable. Still if it is that far off, it will at least likely get you closer.

Edward Jenner
5DIV, M6, GX1 II, Sig15mm FE, 16-35 F4,TS-E 17, TS-E 24, M11-22, M18-150 ,24-105, T45 1.8VC, 70-200 f4 IS, 70-200 2.8 vII, Sig 85 1.4, 100L, 135L, 400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

deviangel
THREAD ­ STARTER
201 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 22, 2015 22:37 as a reply to  @ sandpiper's post |  #12

The thing is that when I sent the RAW file to my friend who is also a photographer had cold colors, while in my Adobe Camera Raw had warm colors. That's what confuses me

deviangel
THREAD ­ STARTER
201 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited over 4 years ago by deviangel.

Jan 22, 2015 22:49 |  #13

ejenner wrote in post #17395639 (external link)
First think I would do is shoot raw+.jpeg and load up the .jpeg into PS.

Then if the raw looks different, it is just the processing, so perhaps you can set the defaults appropriately in ACR. Comparing those will have nothing to do with monitor calibration.

Now if the .jpeg looks way different than in PS, then you need likely need to adjust your monitor (it might be bet too blue). However, that is dicey because LCDs are not exactly reliable. Still if it is that far off, it will at least likely get you closer.

when I right click on the picture and press preview in windows the picture has to warm colors, when I press view in full screen it's like everyone see it.... That's what makes me angry and confuses me.

I recalibrated the monitor and now from LCD on the Canon and isn't that far off however on other screens its a bit off....

I just started shoot just RAW ( almost an year), before I used to shoot RAW + JPG

deviangel
THREAD ­ STARTER
201 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited over 4 years ago by deviangel.

Jan 22, 2015 23:30 |  #14

For example this picture I took, I see this girl's skin white, red lipstick and hood and the rest of the nature right from it( right for the viewer) is B&W.

( this is now after my try for re-calibration. How do you see it?

x
TOO LARGE!
EMBED PREVENTED, IMAGE TOO LARGE:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net …346596477427966​7181_o.jpg
Click here to see our image rules.

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006
Post edited over 4 years ago by sandpiper.

Jan 22, 2015 23:38 |  #15

deviangel wrote in post #17395685 (external link)
For example this picture I took, I see this girl's skin white, red lipstick and hood and the rest of the nature right from it( right for the viewer) is B&W.

( this is now after my try for re-calibration. How do you see it?

x
TOO LARGE!
EMBED PREVENTED, IMAGE TOO LARGE:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net …346596477427966​7181_o.jpg
Click here to see our image rules.

It looks correct to me, but I don't know that I am seeing what you are seeing. I see red lipstick, but I don't know if it is the same shade of red as you see. I also see flesh tone in her face, so do you mean white as in actually white, or caucasian? It isn't white in the sense that the snow is white. Also, you say "red lipstick and hood", do you mean the hood is red to you? I see it as black.

sponsored links

3,968 views & 0 likes for this thread
Problem with colors in Photoshop
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.