Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 22 Jan 2015 (Thursday) 17:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Problem with colors in Photoshop

deviangel
THREAD ­ STARTER
201 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 22, 2015 23:48 |  #16

sandpiper wrote in post #17395691 (external link)
It looks correct to me, but I don't know that I am seeing what you are seeing. I see red lipstick, but I don't know if it is the same shade of red as you see. I also see flesh tone in her face, so do you mean white as in actually white, or caucasian? It isn't white in the sense that the snow is white. Also, you say "red lipstick and hood", do you mean the hood is red to you? I see it as black.

When I took the picture I played with the hue.
I mean as red only the lipstick, the hood is black. The snow is white, and the face is caucasian but like a flash has hit it ( I used flash white balance on the camera for the snow). On my girlfirends lap top the face is yellowish.

Thank you all I am really sorry to bother you but I'm in panic mode :(

Canon 6D | Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM | Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM |
https://500px.com/devi​angel

sponsored links
sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 23, 2015 00:00 |  #17

deviangel wrote in post #17395698 (external link)
On my girlfirends lap top the face is yellowish.

I am not seeing yellowish, it is a natural (but pale) skin colour. The image looks to be well balanced with no colour casts.

If you start viewing images on multiple screens, especially if they aren't properly calibrated, you will see differences. They should be minor between properly calibrated displays, but you will go crazy expecting to make them all look identical.

deviangel
THREAD ­ STARTER
201 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited over 4 years ago by deviangel. (2 edits in all)

Jan 23, 2015 00:06 |  #18

sandpiper wrote in post #17395704 (external link)
I am not seeing yellowish, it is a natural (but pale) skin colour. The image looks to be well balanced with no colour casts.

If you start viewing images on multiple screens, especially if they aren't properly calibrated, you will see differences. They should be minor between properly calibrated displays, but you will go crazy expecting to make them all look identical.

This is a picture that I processed right now after trying to re-calibrate my monitor. I made it a bit reddish and vintage. I am sorry really to bother but how do you see it? On my girlfriends lap top it is cold has to much blue and red, while on mine it's red and yellow dominate.

https://www.flickr.com …86484080@N02/16​344824232/ (external link)

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 23, 2015 00:14 |  #19

I can't see it (or a link I can cut the essentials from) and I am about to hit the sack. It is 6 am here and I have just finished an all nighter processing a shoot I promised to deliver for the morning, so I am in dire need of a few hours kip.

I'll check it out when I get up about lunchtime :-)

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 23, 2015 09:33 |  #20

That doesn't look cold or blue to me, it looks as I would expect it to.

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,746 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008
Post edited over 4 years ago by kirkt. (2 edits in all)

Jan 23, 2015 11:00 |  #21

I am still not understanding. It sounds like you are using windows, and ACR to convert your raw to an RGB image in PS.

I still do not understand how you got two different images in PS by converting the same raw file in ACR into PS (your first post). Did you change settings in ACR to try to convey the difference between images you view on your camera LCD versus what you see after you save the image from PS to a JPEG or similar file format?

You need to describe your workflow and what the problem is. If you are concerned that the image displayed on the back of your camera (the LCD) does not match what you see when you open the raw image file in ACR, that is not a problem, it is the difference between the embedded JPEG you are viewing on a non-calibrated 3 inch LCD versus the default rendering of your raw data in ACR, with whatever settings you have as default.

If you are opening the image in ACR, making edits and rendering the file to PS (image A) and then SAVING the image as a JPEG (image B) and opening both of them in PS and seeing distinct differences, then there is a problem in the workflow.

It appears that you are converting your raw into sRGB and using sRGB as your working space in PS. Fine. When you save your image from PS into a JPEG, for example, I ASSUME that you have not assigned or converted the image's profile to some other profile - that is, the image color numbers are still all in sRGB, as opposed to your display profile or some other profile.

Because you are comparing images on your display, any issues with your display not being calibrated should be equally applied to all images on your display. As soon as you introduce someone else's display into the mix, then you are no longer comparing apples to apples. However, if your display in not calibrated and profiled and someone else's is, then your image, displayed on a properly color managed display, will reveal the problems with your display.

So, please restate the problem and what is causing you concern, because at this point it is still unclear.

kirk

Kirk
---

Nathan
So boring
7,731 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 23, 2015 11:16 |  #22

Is your camera profile set to adobe standard? Might want to change your RGB workspace to Adobe (1998), if that's the case. I'm pretty sure I have my camera profile set to sRGB and my RGB workspace to sRGB, as well.

Not sure if that will solve it.

I do see what you mean between the warm Adobe Raw rendering versus cooler rendering after you save it. I'd also check your default Save settings to see if it's converting anything.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

deviangel
THREAD ­ STARTER
201 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 23, 2015 12:35 |  #23

Ok my problem was this. I had the profile on ACR and PS and the camera set to sRGB as it should be ( at least that how I've read on the internet and always has been on my PS). But the file in the Camera LCD and the ACR had warm colors, now after I saved it and tried to view it with any image viewing program or upload it to stock sites it would get cold colors, colors that are too cold.

Now If I wanted to see the file in PS like I see it on the image viewing programs or the web I had to press Proof Colors and choose RGB monitor.

In order to fix this yesterday I started to calibrate my monitor with the windows calibration tool and gama calibration program. Now I no longer need to press proof colors and my RAW file in ACR and in PS are close to what I see on the camera LCD. I was worried that the calibration is not correct, so I did it again and again...( you get the point :-) ).

Before all of this - monitor calibration I had one RAW file sent to a fellow photographer and asked him how he sees it, and he told me he sees the colors cold as I did when I proofed the colors without him proofing them. And now after I calibrated the monitor I got worried that I may not start to see the colors as him and other people saw them when I used proof color and rgb monitor settings in PS.

So I decided to uninstall my graphic card driver and re-install it again in hope that the calibration will return to like it was default before me trying to calibrate it trough the windows tool or gama tool program and now I use NVIDIA settings.

After this last step my colors on the PS, ACR when are close to the proofed colors, now when I proof them are tiny slightly different than on the LCD. So now I am worried that I might have done really really bad calibrating and not see the colors as they should.

I hope you got what I am trying to say

Sorry guys English is not my native language and thank you for trying to help me :-)

deviangel
THREAD ­ STARTER
201 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 23, 2015 14:17 |  #24

Also i've noticed that the pictures are far different warmer and with more contrast on my tablet and my mobile screen, is it normal?

P.S. on the quick gama program my gama for all of the colors is set to 2.2, is that ok?

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,746 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Post edited over 4 years ago by kirkt. (2 edits in all)

Jan 23, 2015 15:24 |  #25

You are leaving out specifics so I will try to guess what you might be doing. In Photoshop, are you using the "Save for Web..." Dialog to save your image from within PS?

It sounds like you are assigning the image your display profile somewhere along the process, if soft-proofing with your display profile renders the colors "correctly" - but still, it is hard to tell. I understand how you are experiencing the problem, but you are not describing the process that leads to the problem, with specific details.

1) Open the raw image file in ACR and convert it into an RGB image in PS (we will call this image A).
2) Save that image as you are normally saving it (we will call this image B) - do a "Save As..." So you can retain image A in PS.
3) Open that saved image (image B) back in Photoshop, next to the image in Step (1) above (image A) - view the two images in a 2-up view so they are visible in PS next to each other.
4) Take a screenshot, and convert that screenshot to sRGB.
5) Post that screenshot here.

kirk

Kirk
---

deviangel
THREAD ­ STARTER
201 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 23, 2015 17:47 |  #26

I reset the Camera settings, reinstalled the driver on the laptop to the latest ( I had older one before) and everything is ok right now. The save file JPEG look almost identical to the RAW file which is opened in Photoshop.

I have 3 different monitors next to my lap top and the pictures are the same.

deviangel
THREAD ­ STARTER
201 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 23, 2015 19:13 |  #27

all of this problems started when I upgraded to windows 8.1, I am thinking of returning to windows 7

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,746 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 23, 2015 22:14 |  #28

Well, whatever the problem was, I'm glad you got it sorted out!

kirk

Kirk
---

deviangel
THREAD ­ STARTER
201 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited over 4 years ago by deviangel. (2 edits in all)

Jan 23, 2015 23:03 as a reply to  @ kirkt's post |  #29

Thank you !

I want to thank all of you for the advices, i know i am not active but i always lurk and check the topics and the posts.

I've re-installed my windows, I've downgraded from win 8.1 to win 7 since I am computer technician. I never had problems in PS with win 7, and also i just got PS CC its running so smooth. Do you guys it will be a problem? Or win8 is better?

Btw i compared the monitors again mine shows better contrast and better colors than the other 2 now but I guess its down to the thing that my screen is Full HD 3D and 17'3 inches while the others are smaller. The only difference is that i see more details while on those monitors are not there. For example different whites while they have just one white and less details.

I also found this on the official site of my laptop

Display Out-of-the-Box Needs Color Calibration
The display (FHD LED 3D) out of the box is a little on the cool side, so it is important that you calibrate the machine’s display before using it for any image editing or color grading. For SLR Lounge, we use and recommend the Datacolor Spyder 4 Elite, which we have previously reviewed.

Nathan
So boring
7,731 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007
Post edited over 4 years ago by Nathan.

Jan 24, 2015 13:25 |  #30

I still think it was user error. Something was not set quite right and we just couldn't pinpoint it. After all the reinstallations, you reset everything back to norm so you got rid of the problem. I'd only blame it on Win8 if others are also reporting similar issues. It's like replacing the entire engine when the only car problem you had was a bad fuel filter.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

sponsored links

3,972 views & 0 likes for this thread
Problem with colors in Photoshop
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.