Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 04 Apr 2012 (Wednesday) 08:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Composition and all that Arty stuff - discussion thread.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,251 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Dec 11, 2014 14:48 as a reply to  @ post 16525382 |  #3736

oh look, i think if you would have pulled back and included the bottom of the banister that might help the composition. Not just because it looks cut off but also because it would push the hand rail above the center of the frame.

Nice colors though and interesting subject.

i probably would have ripped the bag off the bike seat. :evil:

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

sponsored links
airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
35,895 posts
Gallery: 141 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Jan 19, 2015 12:23 |  #3737

IMAGE: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/airfrogusmc/airfrogusmc025/15_zps037025a6.jpg

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,801 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 22, 2015 10:36 as a reply to  @ airfrogusmc's post |  #3738

That's really awesome, Allen! Of course the repetition of the stripes are what this is all about, but there is more to this than those stripes.

I like how there is an overall sense of movement thru the frame, on a diagonal, from lower left to upper right. That is the direction the women are walking in, and the crosswalk lines give very strong support to this movement. Those crosswalk lines are pulling double-duty here, as they are not only the anchor of the "repeating stripes" theme, but also lead the eye thru the frame.

Then there's the feet and legs of the walkers. One front foot firmly planted, the other front foot still in motion. And conversely, one rear foot at the apex of its departure from the ground, and the other just starting to lift. The only nit-pik I have is the very slight overlap between the right woman's pants and the left woman's front foot - if there had been separation there, instead of overlap, I think that would be preferable.....but of course one has no way to control such tiny details with moving subjects which must be captured spontaneously in an instant.

I can't help but look at the purse being carried by the woman on the left. If that purse had been a light color, I don't think this image would be nearly as effective as it is. One of the things that makes this image work so well is the fact that our eyes tend to stay focused on the diagonal axis created by the crosswalk, the feet/legs, and the striped handbag. Everything that is light in tone is located along this axis, and hence our eyes travel back and forth along the diagonal. That purse being dark helps it to blend into the dark upper left corner of the frame. It is light enough to see, and to recognize it for what it is, but not light enough to throw a curveball into the light & dark / positive & negative space dynamic that you've created. In fact, its inclusion is really quite masterful, as it provides balance to the "primary" handbag, without throwing the tonal distribution of the composition out of balance.

It is a pleasure to have such wonderful imagery to ponder.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

OhLook
Spiderwoman
17,844 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 22, 2015 16:15 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #3739

Tom (and Allen), another helpful stroke of luck is the white shoes on dark pavement.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

airfrogusmc
35,895 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 22, 2015 22:26 |  #3740

Hi Tom and Oh Look,

I just saw these comments and thanks. I really liked this as soon as a shot it. I saw the stripped bag and the stripes in the walk way and they were about 30 feet ahead and by the time I caught up I thought that i had missed the shot and they turned and started to cross the street and no one else was next to them so I quickly shot one frame and got real excited when I saw it on the LCD when I saw how the bag stripes were working with the other stripes. The feet and shoes were just icing on the cake.
Thanks again-Allen

Ricardo222
Cream of the Crop
16,066 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 23, 2015 02:20 |  #3741

To add to the excellent comments above...Allen, I have noticed in several of your street shots that you seem to have a knack for perfect timing...in this case, and others I have seen, of the subjects' feet! As Tom pointed out, there is movement happening, and it is heightened by the position of the feet. I guess a certain amount of luck comes into it when there is more than one person, but also I suspect that the subconscious has picked up the rhythm and you fire the shutter at just the right time. Ah, the "art" of street photography!

Growing old disgracefully!

airfrogusmc
35,895 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 23, 2015 13:41 |  #3742

Hi Ricardo,

Thanks SO MUCH for the kind words . And as you know I don't shoot FPS because these kinds of shots are about timing and anticipating it. That does take a lot of practice and I am usually a bit rusty for a while if I don't do it often. For the timing part it is about an anticipation. I can usually get someone in stride when they are walking but I do it when I think they will be in stride and I do it instinctively from as Bresson said a developed instinct. If I have to think about or try to do it I always miss it. And yes it is all about hitting the right moment.

airfrogusmc
35,895 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 25, 2015 18:30 |  #3743

How about another new one

IMAGE: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/airfrogusmc/airfrogusmc025/L1031338_zps9c52e0f4.jpg

mtimber
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,011 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 18, 2015 15:20 |  #3744

Just thought I would check in on the thread. :-)

"Lovely photo, you must have a really good camera"

[Hyuni]
Goldmember
1,186 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 19, 2015 11:39 |  #3745

Airfrog,

LOVE your PP and composition even more.

It really looks like you had an idea in your head and deliberately waited for an opportune moment, instead of "getting lucky"

I'd be interested how you prepare for them and what goes through your mind when you get ready to shoot

6D Rokinon 14 f/2.8 l EF 35 ƒ1.4L l EF 135 ƒ2.0L l EF 70-200 ƒ2.8L IS II l YN460 l 580EX II l Flick'd (external link)

airfrogusmc
35,895 posts
Joined May 2007
Post edited over 3 years ago by airfrogusmc. (3 edits in all)

Apr 23, 2015 09:17 |  #3746

[Hyuni wrote:
='[Hyuni];17482141']Ai​rfrog,

LOVE your PP and composition even more.

It really looks like you had an idea in your head and deliberately waited for an opportune moment, instead of "getting lucky"

I'd be interested how you prepare for them and what goes through your mind when you get ready to shoot

First thanks for the comments. Both the shot with the poster and the stripes shot were totally in the moment. I do sometimes find a spot and camp out but I also just wander and respond to what I see which is what happened with these two. I work with equipment that makes it real easy to see and shoot. Leica M Monochrom (B&W only digital camera) and a Leica 35mm lens. I usually shoot at high ISO, the MM has amazing high ISO response, and that allows me to shoot with fast shutter speeds like 1/500 or 1/1000. The lens has very usable DoF scales so I preset my focus and shoot at f/8 or f/11 so I am then just responding. No auto focus in the world is faster than being pre focused. This all takes some practice and if I don't get out and shoot for a few days I notice my timing can be a little off. I have no preconceived ideas and really see and shoot in hte moment. I think a lot before I go out and when I am looking culling through the images but I am just responding when I am actually shooting. Bresson referred to it as a "developed instinct".

airfrogusmc
35,895 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 23, 2015 09:24 |  #3747

Here's a couple of new ones where I waited but I usually don't wait long. Less than 5 minutes here.

IMAGE: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/airfrogusmc/airfrogusmc026/L1033102_zps0qg0fzmy.jpg
That one I was waiting for the right head to get into the center of the circle and the guy yawned just as he got to the right spot. I responded.

Here's another where I waited but only a few minutes here to. Way less than 5 minutes. A couple max. I just hoped that no one else would walk into this area.
IMAGE: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/airfrogusmc/airfrogusmc026/L1033105_zpsycwi4cp9.jpg

This was totally in the moment
IMAGE: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/airfrogusmc/airfrogusmc026/L1033004_zpssomospwc.jpg

airfrogusmc
35,895 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 23, 2015 09:27 |  #3748

IMAGE: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/airfrogusmc/airfrogusmc026/L1033051_zps7embh6ee.jpg

airfrogusmc
35,895 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 23, 2015 09:43 |  #3749

mtimber wrote in post #17480895 (external link)
Just thought I would check in on the thread. :-)

What's been happening in your world?

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,992 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Apr 24, 2015 01:41 |  #3750

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

sponsored links

405,874 views & 102 likes for this thread
Composition and all that Arty stuff - discussion thread.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.