Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 02 Dec 2014 (Tuesday) 07:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Where is the normal classifieds??? (Must have 30 posts and 30 day membership to see)

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,383 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 17, 2015 03:30 |  #241

it's really not that hard to contribute 30 posts to this forum...head to a gear section...offer up advice...head to a photo sharing section offer up a compliment...if you can't be bothered to do that, then i don't think a lot of people would miss you around here...posting stupid one line posts here isn't really going to help you sell stuff...anyone that looks at your classified is probably going to look at your post history...and if it's just something to fill the quota then you're not helping yourself by making you look like an active member

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
cxk5075
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 18, 2015 08:57 |  #242

I mostly lurk. Don't understand why you need a minimum to BUY equipment...

Ron ­ Bailey
Goldmember
1,108 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Aug 2007
Post edited over 6 years ago by Ron Bailey. (2 edits in all)

Jan 18, 2015 21:48 |  #243

cxk5075 wrote in post #17388024 (external link)

The same reason that retail stores have security cameras, security tags hidden in merchandise, plains clothes security, armed security, etc. They like to keep the merchandise secure.

What good is a buy/sell forum that is plagued with thieves, scammers and losers? Most of those that fall into those categories are really not going to invest the time it takes to establish a reputation, they are looking for a quick pigeon, an easy mark, a 'smash and grab' so to speak. The folks in charge on this forum are doing what they can to keep the buy/sell a great place to do business.

Come on in, look around, post some images, ask some questions and before you know it, you have the minimum. If that's too much trouble...it's your loss.

http://www.ronbaileyph​otography.com/ (external link)

thattunut
56 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Sep 2008

Jan 19, 2015 17:22 as a reply to  @ Ron Bailey's post |  #244

Here's some more 1 liners so I don't get missed too much < rolls eyes>

Lurking and buying for over 6 years while leaving positive feedback for others... but, not posting enough... there's the red flag for you.

I'm sorry sir, you aren't allowed to shop in my store until you have bought so many items... No sir I understand you can't look at any of the items... you have to buy them first.

Canon 7D
Canon 70-200 4L IS - Canon 28-135 MK II - Canon 60mm f2.8 USM macro - Canon nifty fifty - Canon Extender 1.4 II - Manfrotto mono and tripod for support - and 2 sizes of Lowepro's to carry it all .

invi2003
Goldmember
1,253 posts
Gallery: 437 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Jan 22, 2015 08:10 |  #245

cxk5075 wrote in post #17388024 (external link)

Same here

vetralens
30 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jan 22, 2015 14:31 |  #246

Ron Bailey wrote in post #17389062 (external link)
Come on in, look around, post some images, ask some questions and before you know it, you have the minimum. If that's too much trouble...it's your loss.

While I understand the point of that, some people are just not social creatures by nature, and that extends to online personas. Others, maybe their best contribution to a forum is the ability to buy and sell and offer unique goods to their fellow hobbyists. I think it's interesting that some people are saying "Just post 30 brief comments," while others are saying "if all you can manage is 30 one liners then I don't trust you anyway." So. Not sure if there was a point to this comment but hey it gets me closer to that big 3-0.

Ron ­ Bailey
Goldmember
1,108 posts
Joined Aug 2007
Post edited over 6 years ago by Ron Bailey.

Jan 22, 2015 20:21 |  #247

vetralens wrote in post #17395023 (external link)
While I understand the point of that, some people are just not social creatures by nature, and that extends to online personas. Others, maybe their best contribution to a forum is the ability to buy and sell and offer unique goods to their fellow hobbyists. I think it's interesting that some people are saying "Just post 30 brief comments," while others are saying "if all you can manage is 30 one liners then I don't trust you anyway." So. Not sure if there was a point to this comment but hey it gets me closer to that big 3-0.

I'm not a very social creature either, but if 30 posts is a major hurdle to folks then so be it. Maybe that's one of the reasons it is there.

The bottom line is that this is Pekka's baby and he can raise it any way he likes. Makes no difference what you or I think. Or anyone else for that matter.

If there are members who don't like the rules then they don't need to play. I know that may sound harsh, but it's just a reality. I don't belong or post in some other forums because I just don't care for the rules, etc. Same thing applies here. It's not a democracy. Nor should it be.

Again, I'm not trying to be a smartas* or flip, it just is what it is.

Peace.

bigburpsx3
31 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 24, 2015 00:49 |  #248

The new rules make sense. I have been inactive for a few months and came back to see this. Been a lurker for years since the beginning of my photography career, but I guess I should contribute now.

mpix345
Goldmember
2,870 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 24, 2015 07:42 |  #249

This is my last post to this thread. I'm giving up on it because I really don't understand why so many folks don't "get it". I understand that they would prefer not to have to post, and I understand that having 30 throw-away posts really doesn't do much to give them credibility, but I'm pretty sure the overall idea is that the buy and sell section works best when the people buying and selling "know" each other because they interact in various sections of POTN.

I'd rather buy from someone who has clearly used the gear and maybe even posted about it. Someone who justs buys & sells may be a flipper who really cannot substantiate the condition of the equipment. While that is not the end of the world, I'd rather work with folks who are using the classifieds as a way to try various gear without getting killed by buying new all the time, not simply looking to make a profit.

Beyond that, this is a community. I don't think it is too much to ask that everyone contribute a little. And 30 posts is a little.

Please carry on with your snarky comments to drive post count. I know I will be more aware of that in the future, and will try to only deal with contributors to POTN.

Hintzanity
30 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jan 24, 2015 11:08 |  #250

I've been away from this forum for a little over three years. Back in the fall of 2011, I purchased a few thousand dollars' worth of photography equipment from several members and since I had everything I needed, I've been busy taking photos ever since. I came back now to sell some of the things I bought since my family is in a very dire financial situation. I only had 28 posts when I left and I fully respect the 30-post, 30-day requirement. Thank you for doing your part to help ensure that this is a safe community for both buyers and sellers.

Ron ­ Bailey
Goldmember
1,108 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 24, 2015 15:28 |  #251

mpix345 wrote in post #17397568 (external link)
This is my last post to this thread. I'm giving up on it because I really don't understand why so many folks don't "get it". I understand that they would prefer not to have to post, and I understand that having 30 throw-away posts really doesn't do much to give them credibility, but I'm pretty sure the overall idea is that the buy and sell section works best when the people buying and selling "know" each other because they interact in various sections of POTN.

I'd rather buy from someone who has clearly used the gear and maybe even posted about it. Someone who justs buys & sells may be a flipper who really cannot substantiate the condition of the equipment. While that is not the end of the world, I'd rather work with folks who are using the classifieds as a way to try various gear without getting killed by buying new all the time, not simply looking to make a profit.

Beyond that, this is a community. I don't think it is too much to ask that everyone contribute a little. And 30 posts is a little.

Please carry on with your snarky comments to drive post count. I know I will be more aware of that in the future, and will try to only deal with contributors to POTN.

Also my last comment.

I Know for a fact there is at least one member here and on FM that sells gear from a pawn shop he runs. Yeah, just what I want to buy. Not.

I'll only buy from a member who contributes and knows the history of the item. And yes, I look up the last 50 posts from someone before I buy/sell. Your attitude does make a difference in the deal.

tvm777
30 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Feb 02, 2015 11:59 |  #252

I'm. On the same boat. Looks useless. Since I've traded on the site without it. And never had problems.
This rule only ads more. Spam to the site. Useless information. Like this one. Just to make sense and try to reach more post counts.

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,383 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Feb 04, 2015 00:16 |  #253

tvm777 wrote in post #17411849 (external link)
I'm. On the same boat. Looks useless. Since I've traded on the site without it. And never had problems.
This rule only ads more. Spam to the site. Useless information. Like this one. Just to make sense and try to reach more post counts.

it only adds more spam/useless information when those that are trying desperately to hit their quota post spammy, useless posts...if they posted to help others out, which would probably take about the same amount of time as a useless post...then the community improves, and get's better...also posting spammy, useless posts isn't going to help them look better...if i was buying or selling from someone, i'm going to look at their post history, and if it's only 1-2 word responses for everything, i'm going to pass...

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

eXact
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 04, 2015 00:27 |  #254

Thanks, didn't know they changed it!

pandaghost
39 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jul 2011

Feb 08, 2015 17:43 |  #255

Oh... I got it. Thanks.

sponsored links

54,585 views & 54 likes for this thread
Where is the normal classifieds??? (Must have 30 posts and 30 day membership to see)
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.