Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 22 Jan 2015 (Thursday) 09:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EOS 450D - Very poor image quality

Frodge
Goldmember
3,076 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Jan 23, 2015 18:50 |  #16

MakisM1 wrote in post #17396214 (external link)
Also, you need to understand what post-processing is done in-camera and what you need to do yourself. A SOOC jpg can come in different flavors, based on the profile you have selected (including some home-made you may choose to make).

Where do you suggest a good place to start is for homemade JPEG sooc?

sponsored links
MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,574 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Dec 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by MakisM1.

Jan 23, 2015 19:43 |  #17

Frodge wrote in post #17396948 (external link)
Where do you suggest a good place to start is for homemade JPEG sooc?

You can copy a Standard to the custom profile and then play with sharpness, contrast, skin color. Canon as quite a few ready made ones, and an editor to make your own. Haven't gone that far myself.

http://www.canon.co.jp​/imaging/picturestyle/​editor/ (external link)

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

Intheswamp
Goldmember
1,420 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2013

Jan 23, 2015 19:45 |  #18

Frodge, I'm not sure, but I think you're asking what profile is a good one to use "in camera". I like to use "Faithful".

Pardon me if I missed the question.

Ed

www.beeweather.com (external link)

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Jan 23, 2015 21:08 |  #19
bannedPermanent ban

Intheswamp wrote in post #17397009 (external link)
Frodge, I'm not sure, but I think you're asking what profile is a good one to use "in camera". I like to use "Faithful".

Pardon me if I missed the question.

Ed

You missed, but only by a little. There are downloadable Custom Profiles available. Perhaps someone else knows where. I have downloaded profiles called Emerald, Autumn Hues, and P-Snapshot. You install them in the 1, 2, & 3 User Defined Profiles. Or, as mentioned above, you can create your own. I tried messing with it a few years ago. I prefer to shoot raw and work from there in LightRoom.

WARNING: I often dispense advice in fields I know little about!

Intheswamp
Goldmember
1,420 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2013

Jan 24, 2015 07:36 |  #20

Thanks for the clarification on the profiles. I shoot RAW+jpg and usually edit only the RAW file. I need to further my education and go to RAW-only. I think for now I'll stick with Faithful, no need to hang that learning curve if I'm trying to stop saving in-camera jpegs. :)

Ed

www.beeweather.com (external link)

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Jan 24, 2015 08:32 as a reply to  @ Intheswamp's post |  #21
bannedPermanent ban

I started out with digital about 5 years ago. I tried JPG for a while but was never able to get the results I could get using raw. With a little bit of practice, it becomes natural and you know what to do just by looking at the shots. Raw is just easier to work with, once you get used to it.

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,574 posts
Joined Dec 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by MakisM1. (2 edits in all)

Jan 24, 2015 08:38 |  #22

I shoot a Custom Profile based on the standard, but with Sharpening cranked up and Contrast up one notch. Skin Tones -1.

The first year I was shooting the 60D I was invited by a friend to shoot his children's music recital. Low light, not much space... I decided to use Faithful for the first time. I couldn't get critical focus with any of my lenses (EF 50 f1.8, EF 70-200 f2.8II or EFS 18-200). I freaked out, since my friend was depending on me... After a lot of chimping, I settled on the EF 50...

Brought home a bunch of photos and a big cloud of doubt. Going through PP, a little bit of sharpening and a custom Darktable profile did the trick.

A lot of people use Faithful or Neutral to shoot for the histogram and I don't object to this. I shoot for the perfect AF, and for this I need sharpening and contrast. The effect on the histogram is minimal and well within what I can do with the RAW in Darktable.

Horses for courses.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i37.photobucket​.com …878DT1024_zpsa8​9ca9e8.jpg (external link)

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Jan 24, 2015 08:41 |  #23
bannedPermanent ban

I agree with Gerry. N(0,0,0,0) is best for ETTR, which is best for getting the most out of Lightroom.

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,072 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 24, 2015 09:46 |  #24

MakisM1 wrote in post #17397619 (external link)
I shoot for the perfect AF, and for this I need sharpening and contrast.

AF doesn't care about the picture style you use. You may do, when you look at the result on the screen, but next shot with AF will be the same, regardless of whether you thought the previous one looked good or not on the screen.

Anders

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,574 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 24, 2015 09:57 |  #25

apersson850 wrote in post #17397693 (external link)
AF doesn't care about the picture style you use. You may do, when you look at the result on the screen, but next shot with AF will be the same, regardless of whether you thought the previous one looked good or not on the screen.

I chimp to see whether the AF was on the spot or whether I need to try again. The AF may not care, but you can either guide it, or repeat. Minute changes in contrast can change the behavior of the 'uncaring' AF.

Gerry

mrfixitx
607 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 24, 2015 10:25 as a reply to  @ MakisM1's post |  #26

Except contrast adjustments done through picture system are applied after the picture is taken. autofocus does not use any information from pictures styles when focusing.

Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships! - Ansel Adams (external link)
http://www.brandons-photography.com/ (external link)

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Jan 24, 2015 10:31 |  #27
bannedPermanent ban

mrfixitx wrote in post #17397748 (external link)
Except contrast adjustments done through picture system are applied after the picture is taken. autofocus does not use any information from pictures styles when focusing.

I believe Gerry means that with the contrast and sharpness cranked up, he can see better whether or not the AF has done its job to his liking. I shoot raw, and crank up the sharpening when I am in using the back LCD to determine focus hits/misses. It works. But you are right, it has no effect of AF performance. It just allows you to better see the AF results.

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,242 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Jan 24, 2015 10:41 |  #28

Yep, I do the same thing Gerry S(7,1,1,0).:-)

To everyone who's saying "Contrast doesn't affect AF":

He's not saying that it does. He's just saying that it optimizes the on-camera preview so that he can check at 100% magnification on the LCD TO SEE IF THE FOCUS IS PERFECT and if not then reshoot. The RAW file remains unaffected.

Mark

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,853 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by Left Handed Brisket.

Jan 24, 2015 11:07 as a reply to  @ rrblint's post |  #29

this is a good idea that i had not considered. It is especially nice as my eye sight is starting to fade with age.

do you need to shoot RAW + JPG or is the picture style applied to the small preview file used by the camera even if shooting RAW only?

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,242 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Jan 24, 2015 11:13 |  #30

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #17397791 (external link)
this is a good idea that i had not considered. It is especially nice as my eye sight is starting to fade with age.

do you need to shoot RAW + JPG or is the picture style applied to the small preview file used by the camera even if shooting RAW only?

No need to shoot RAW+JPEG. RAW-only is fine as the LCD preview uses the camera settings for display, even though the actual RAW file remains unaffected.

Mark

sponsored links

15,375 views & 1 like for this thread
EOS 450D - Very poor image quality
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.