Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 23 Jan 2015 (Friday) 23:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need Help Pricing a Job

bryzf1
740 posts
Gallery: 200 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 23, 2015 23:26 |  #1

I've been asked to shoot a soccer tournament for two different teams. It's a youth club team ranging from 7-12yr olds... The coach is looking for full day coverage at the tournament of both teams.

Does anyone have a suggestion on what a reasonable bid would be? I understand that I need to be compensated for my drive time, shooting time, and processing of the pics. I just want to see what would be reasonable.

I would also be putting the pics on my website for them to purchase prints after the tournament.

Bryan
1DX | A73 | 17-40L | 24-70LII | 35L | 50 1.4 | 85L | | 70-200LII | 200 f/2L
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
JacobPhoto
Goldmember
1,434 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jan 23, 2015 23:46 |  #2

How many hours of shooting is expected from you? How much 'down time' is there between games? What's your normal day rate? Are you just being asked to produce digital files? or prints as well?

~ Canon 7d / 5D ~ Novatron strobe setup + Vagabond
~ Some L glass, some flashes, the usual

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jan 24, 2015 13:49 |  #3

Also make sure the coach is not thinking that you are handing over the images vs selling on your website.

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,133 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Jan 24, 2015 20:31 |  #4

Why are they paying you to shoot if they then have to pay again in order to get the images. Or are you paid by the team and give them images to use, then sell prints to the parents?

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

bryzf1
THREAD ­ STARTER
740 posts
Gallery: 200 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 24, 2015 21:48 |  #5

Dan Marchant wrote in post #17398554 (external link)
Why are they paying you to shoot if they then have to pay again in order to get the images. Or are you paid by the team and give them images to use, then sell prints to the parents?

This is my dilemma. The coach is hiring me to shoot for both of his team which are traveling soccer teams. I've done some sports portraits for his kids in the past and he's seen my action shots from high school basketball games... I would ideally want to just put them on my site and he as well as the parents can order prints directly from there, but if I'm charging a day rate for the tournament for him to pay I feel like that should include some prints.

Bryan
1DX | A73 | 17-40L | 24-70LII | 35L | 50 1.4 | 85L | | 70-200LII | 200 f/2L
flickr (external link)

bsmotril
Goldmember
2,516 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Jan 24, 2015 22:23 as a reply to  @ bryzf1's post |  #6

Consider publishing low resolution (1024 pixels) to social media or a public gallery with your logo/watermark that the players can share and that the coach can use to promote his teams. Then put a high res gallery online with no watermark where parents can buy prints they want. USe something like zenfolio or Smugmug for that.

Gear List
Galleries: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/smopho/ (external link) --- http://billsmotrilla.z​enfolio.com/ (external link)

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,301 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 25, 2015 02:25 |  #7

Any figure the coach would agree to would have you working below minimum wage.

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,133 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Jan 25, 2015 08:09 |  #8

bryzf1 wrote in post #17398636 (external link)
The coach is hiring me to shoot for both of his team which are traveling soccer teams.

Sorry but its still not clear what the purpose is. Is the coach hiring you personally or on behalf of the team and to what end - what does your client intend to do with the images? If you are being hired and paid specifically so the team can send prints to the parents then selling prints yourself isn't going to happen. If they are hiring you for some other purpose they may or may not want to selling prints. You really need to clarify what your client wants/expects before you can decide what else can be done with the images.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

Larry ­ Johnson
Goldmember
1,282 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2011

Jan 25, 2015 08:56 as a reply to  @ bryzf1's post |  #9

Looks like you've gotten lots more questions than suggestions. Must be frustrating.
If you feel like you owe someone some prints because you were paid for a full day of work, then the obvious answer is to ask for a minimum charge for your shooting and processing time, and make your money selling the prints. I'm not a pro and have never priced a job, so can't help you there. Be proactive and spell out to the coach what you need and what your terms are. Have him sign a contract. Might be wise to include in the contract some form of advertising clause that states the coach will notify team parents that there will be a pro photographer taking pics and they will be made available for purchasing.

flickr (external link)

pat.kane
655 posts
Joined May 2005

Jan 26, 2015 17:53 |  #10

Does the tournament have national prestige or is it simply another weekend tournament? The former provides some incentive for the parents to want to buy sports candid photos. If the latter, they'll likely have plenty of other options available to them during the course of the year to meet their photo needs, to include the pics on their iPhone and photos provided for free by the other parents.

Doing sales after the fact vs. on-site also reduces your chances of profiting from the event.

Why not set a day rate that includes the electronic files on a USB drive following the event and leave it to the coach to share the images? You'll likely find this is more profitable than relying on spec sales that may never materialize. I believe once you provide the quote though, texkam will be proven right. It's been my general experience the rate I charge is more than most parents are willing to pay. Fortunately, there are some parents who realize the value they get when they pay for game coverage.

1Dx Mk II, 5D4 and some L glass (gear list / feedback)
http://MaxPreps.DMVpix​.com (external link)
http://www.DMVpix.com (external link)

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jan 26, 2015 17:57 |  #11

If you just set a day rate with x number of CD'S included (one for each kid) then you know how much you will make. Shoot the full game and burn all images on each cd then there is no sorting. Send all to the coach to hand out. Doing this way allows the coach to pick up the entire bill or pass it along to the parents.

Larry ­ Johnson
Goldmember
1,282 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2011

Jan 26, 2015 18:23 |  #12

Littlejon Dsgn wrote in post #17401560 (external link)
If you just set a day rate with x number of CD'S included (one for each kid) then you know how much you will make. Shoot the full game and burn all images on each cd then there is no sorting. Send all to the coach to hand out. Doing this way allows the coach to pick up the entire bill or pass it along to the parents.

great idea.

flickr (external link)

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jan 26, 2015 18:31 |  #13

Larry Johnson wrote in post #17401584 (external link)
great idea.

I am one that likes to know exactly how much I will be walking away from a job with. This type of pricing allows for that. I know what I want to make in a day. I also do not want to have to bother with print sales after the fact. This allows you to dial in your settings and you could shoot in Jpeg with minimal editing on the back end.

sponsored links

2,100 views & 0 likes for this thread
Need Help Pricing a Job
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.