Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 22 Jan 2015 (Thursday) 09:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EOS 450D - Very poor image quality

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,547 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Dec 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by MakisM1.

Jan 24, 2015 11:29 |  #31

GeoKras1989 wrote in post #17397757 (external link)
I believe Gerry means that with the contrast and sharpness cranked up, he can see better whether or not the AF has done its job to his liking. I shoot raw, and crank up the sharpening when I am in using the back LCD to determine focus hits/misses. It works. But you are right, it has no effect of AF performance. It just allows you to better see the AF results.

Exactly

rrblint wrote in post #17397765 (external link)
Yep, I do the same thing Gerry S(7,1,1,0).:-)

To everyone who's saying "Contrast doesn't affect AF":

He's not saying that it does. He's just saying that it optimizes the on-camera preview so that he can check at 100% magnification on the LCD TO SEE IF THE FOCUS IS PERFECT and if not then reshoot. The RAW file remains unaffected.

That's right

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #17397791 (external link)
this is a good idea that i had not considered. It is especially nice as my eye sight is starting to fade with age.

do you need to shoot RAW + JPG or is the picture style applied to the small preview file used by the camera even if shooting RAW only?

Age is but one factor :oops: I shoot RAW only

rrblint wrote in post #17397799 (external link)
No need to shoot RAW+JPEG. RAW-only is fine as the LCD preview uses the camera settings for display, even though the actual RAW file remains unaffected.

Exactly!

The software I use (Shotwell for database) will use the JPEG information to create a JPG file whether I like it or not, for detailed viewing on the PC. I use these JPEGs to decide which RAW files to work with, but that's just my workflow. I could just as easily bypass Shotwell when importing the photos and use Darktable as the database (very similar to LR) but I like the quick access Shotwell gives me to over 15000 photos I have, complete with tags.

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

sponsored links
Frodge
Goldmember
3,075 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Jan 24, 2015 13:20 as a reply to  @ MakisM1's post |  #32

When you take the files into Lightroom, what are you typically doing? I'm curious as to what changes most of you are makin to the file.

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,239 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Jan 24, 2015 14:09 |  #33

Frodge wrote in post #17398001 (external link)
When you take the files into Lightroom, what are you typically doing? I'm curious as to what changes most of you are makin to the file.

It varies from file to file Frodge. Unfortunately there is no "One Size Fits All" workflow for Lightroom or any other processing software.:-)

Mark

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,557 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by Left Handed Brisket. (2 edits in all)

Jan 24, 2015 14:17 as a reply to  @ rrblint's post |  #34

yes exactly ^

this is the order I work in:

Cull bad shots and do some basic organizing
Set set color temp and tint (aka white balance)
Set exposure, contrast, saturation, recover highlights and shadows. These settings are all tied together, none is really first or last.
Clarity/Structure
Crop
Sharpen / Noise Reduction

All of the above are virtually requirements, but it is dependent on the event/shoot. Sometimes steps are skipped.

As I am processing the images i refine my organization with stars or color codes. i always do "correct color" first and then create any variations from the originals.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Jan 24, 2015 14:18 |  #35
bannedPermanent ban

Frodge wrote in post #17398001 (external link)

I usually start by culling rejects. Then, if necessary group shots that need similar gross adjustments like WB and Exposure.

After that I work my way down the DEVELOP panel.

BASIC TAB
I generally decrease contrast a bit. For most well exposed shots I don't touch the (Highlights, Shadows, Blacks, Whites) sliders.

My defaults are as follows (where I start):
Clarity: +10
Vibrance: +15
Saturation: +5

Skip HSL/Color/B&W tab.
DETAIL TAB
Sharpening: Amount 35 (tweak with NR), Radius 0.5, Detail default, masking 50

NR: Luminance is ISO based, higher ISO needs more. (Tweak with sharpening). I don't use the Detail and Contrast sliders. They just confuse my interplay between Sharpening and NR.

Color: just enough to almost kill color noise, also ISO dependent.

Lens Corrections. I check ENABLE PROFILE CORRECTIONS.

That sounds like a lot, but it takes me way less than a minute to do a group of photos. I don't spend a lot of time agonizing over perfect. Good enough really is.

If I blow the shot in camera, or lighting is funky, I can fix a lot of crappy work in the HSL/Color/B&W tab. Sometimes I want manual vignetting and distortion corrections. Lens Corrections tab/Manual gives me all that. These last few things are generally attempts to fix something I did wrong. As I improve, I get fewer shots needing this stuff.

LR certainly has a learning curve. The reward for your invest is shots tweaked the way YOU want them, not the way some Canon Engineer thought you'd like them. Occasionally, I check my work against SOOC Picture Style default JPGs. I would guess that 98% of the time, I like what I produce more. Once you get used to it, it takes no time at all. The hardest part for me is still culling rejects.

WARNING: I often dispense advice in fields I know little about!

Copper ­ NYC
386 posts
Joined Sep 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by Copper NYC.

Jan 24, 2015 14:35 |  #36

Frodge wrote in post #17396948 (external link)
Where do you suggest a good place to start is for homemade JPEG sooc?

MakisM1 wrote in post #17397006 (external link)
You can copy a Standard to the custom profile and then play with sharpness, contrast, skin color. Canon as quite a few ready made ones, and an editor to make your own. Haven't gone that far myself.

http://www.canon.co.jp​/imaging/picturestyle/​editor/ (external link)

Here you go, this is one of the most comprehensive PSP for jpegs I found on the net.

http://cinescopophilia​.com …-styles-picture-profiles/ (external link)

40D Gripped, 50D, T2I Gripped, 5D Mark III Gripped, EF-S 18-55 IS, EF-S 55-250 IS
EF 28 f/2.8 IS, EF 40 2.8 STM, EF 50 f/1.4 USM,
EF 85 f/1.8 USM, EF 100 f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 24-105L f/4.0
EF 28-80 USM, the good one with metal mount and ring USM.
EF 28-80 USM V, EF 28-135 USM IS, EF 100-300 USM, EF 100-400L USM IS.
Rokinon 14 f/2.8

Frodge
Goldmember
3,075 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Jan 24, 2015 15:44 |  #37

Thanks so much for all the tips and tricks, including the link copperny. Much appreciated.

ksbal
Goldmember
2,745 posts
Gallery: 374 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 24, 2015 16:33 |  #38

I had a 450D (Xsi) and the one consistent thing I noticed was soft focus on outer points, vs the center, and if an image was underexposed it would be much softer than the correctly exposed shot.

Godox/Flashpoint r2 system, plus some canon stuff.

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 24, 2015 16:35 |  #39

Tobougg wrote in post #17394654 (external link)
Hi Folks,

I recently acquired an EOS 450D 3nd Hand, in good condition.
I Picked it up cheaply, and managed to get a standard Canon 18-55 Lens for it and i thought they'd
be similar in image quality unless you were doing serious photography but wow.

The difference between the 2 camera's is huge.
Her's is just so crisp, and even at high magnification there is a huge amount of sharp detail,
i took a picture of her in my camera when she was curling the ends of her hair with one of those GHD things from 6 feet away with my Canon, when i zoomed just once or twice, i could see no definition around any edges, i could BARELY see GHD written in the big letters and the gold on black writing of the made in x-country was just a small fuzzy gold blur.

None of the edges are defined, everything seems VERY soft, and even sharpening slightly in an editing program just doesn't give me what i need.
I thought maybe with a high quality camera like this that i'd notice some softening and blurring on distant shots etc, but even in close shots, medium shots etc it's very streange. I've got a 16mp camera on my phone that can almost match the quality im getting from the 450D... am i doing somethin wrong? i tried manual and auto, tried many different shots. And the Nikon is just wiping the floor with it, i'd say there's approx 3x as much detail in each shot. Here's an example of my Canon's shots im talking about, any suggestions? Here's 3 examples.
[A]

I agree with some of the other comments, it's difficult to see your comparisons and methodology but when I had my XSi /450D it produced sharp pics

XSi / 450D with Tamron 90 and 100-400

IMAGE: http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4107/5171189033_b248ea725e_b.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3714/12526249203_fa1719494b_b.jpg

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 25, 2015 11:15 |  #40

By "zooming in" do you mean on the camera lcd screen on at home on your computer screen? The 450D, aka Xsi is an old camera with a low resolution lcd screen that cannot show sharp details on the back of the camera. Try viewing your pics on a computer screen.

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 28, 2015 17:36 |  #41

HappySnapper90 wrote in post #17399457 (external link)
By "zooming in" do you mean on the camera lcd screen on at home on your computer screen?.

I think the OP has left the scene
perhaps contemplating her "image quality" compared to the old XSi

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Jan 28, 2015 19:15 |  #42
bannedPermanent ban

Agreed. There must be some basic personality differences among photographers. My first thought when I don't get what I want/expect is, "What did I do wrong?" Seems like some folks go to equipment failure first. The camera is a stupid box that does what it is told. If it isn't performing well, check the instructions you gave it.

WARNING: I often dispense advice in fields I know little about!

sponsored links

14,577 views & 1 like for this thread
EOS 450D - Very poor image quality
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.