Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
Thread started 25 Oct 2014 (Saturday) 18:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Kirk or RRS L Bracket for 5DMkIII?

jecottrell
324 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Oct 30, 2014 09:50 |  #16

I use a RRS for my 5Diii with grip. I find it very difficult to get the rubber covers open on the connections for plugging in a remote release.

sponsored links
lovemyram4x4
Goldmember
2,198 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Mar 2013

Oct 30, 2014 11:40 |  #17

jecottrell wrote in post #17241638 (external link)
I use a RRS for my 5Diii with grip. I find it very difficult to get the rubber covers open on the connections for plugging in a remote release.

Does yours fit tight enough on the strap ring to prevent any rotation of bracket?

jecottrell
324 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Oct 30, 2014 13:59 |  #18

lovemyram4x4 wrote in post #17241821 (external link)
Does yours fit tight enough on the strap ring to prevent any rotation of bracket?

Explain a bit more. Do you have problems with the bracket moving?

lovemyram4x4
Goldmember
2,198 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Oct 30, 2014 14:29 |  #19

I do with my Sunwayfoto bracket because the cut out to clear the strap ring is much wider than the ring so the screw in the tripod mount is the only thing to prevent any rotation of the bracket. I often shoot with a TS-E lens and having the camera level is often important, I do this quick and simply with my leveling base but since my current L-bracket can rotate a bit after getting bumped around for awhile the camera may not be level in portrait orientation.

I didn't release that this would be an issue for me when I bought the Sunwayfoto and chose it because it had the stop screws the RRS and Kirk lack but is also much cheaper while being a known good quality brand.

The Kirk while it actually clamps onto the strap ring would take care of the about concern, it brings in other issue for me. It makes it harder to remove so I can put the camera into an underwater housing(not really a concern anymore since I decided to wait to see what comes next before investing in a new housing) but I also use the that strap ring for a quick release for a second connection when using my sling straps and it wouldn't do much good if my primary is on the L-bracket and the bracket falls off.

I hope that makes it clearer about what I'm wanting to know, if not I can take a quick picture of what wrong with my my current setup.

jecottrell
324 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Oct 30, 2014 21:58 |  #20

Ahh, I see what you're talking about.

No, I don't have any problems like that. If you look at the photos on this (external link) page you can see how there is a lip on the front and the rear of the plate that keeps this from happening. As long as the mounting screw is snug, there's no way for it to give.

lovemyram4x4
Goldmember
2,198 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Oct 30, 2014 23:18 |  #21

It definitely looks like the bottom has little to no extra clearance which would help if the top still had excessive clearance around the strap ring. I just remember reading about one of the RSS L-brackets having the problem I'm concerned about and I think it was for the 5DIIIG but I think it was only on early models and later corrected(whihc would make buying a used one a gamble).

I still find it odd the RSS & Kirk both leave the stop screws off their L-brackets, all my RSS clamps are designed to use them and my Kirk plate on my 300 has them.

Not too long ago I ordered a used RSS L-bracket from B&H but they miss-labeled it as one for a grip

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 31, 2014 02:57 |  #22

The early version of the RRS 5DIII bracket had a lip which left a mark on the body of the camera. This is fixed in the new version (rev A), I've checked my camera several times since getting the bracket, and no mark.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

Killjoy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,648 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 31, 2014 07:15 |  #23

Definitely stay away from the used market then. Thanks Tom. :)

Some people hunt with a gun. I use a Canon.
My Smugmug (external link) page
All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy.

NemethR
847 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Oct 31, 2014 08:42 |  #24

Well, with Kirk you can reach Warp Speeds.
So I would definately choose James Tiberius over the other one :D

Roland | Hobbyst Photographer
Nikon D850 | Nikon 85mm f/1.8G

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 01, 2014 04:30 |  #25

Killjoy wrote in post #17243403 (external link)
Definitely stay away from the used market then. Thanks Tom. :)

Not necessarily, the old and new brackets have a different revision number, if it is revision A, it is good, if not, avoid.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

Killjoy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,648 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 07, 2014 15:23 |  #26

FWIW, I got the Kirk. Once I can put it on my camera (in about 17 days) I'll let you folks know what I think.
Thanks again for all the input.

Killjoy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,648 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 22, 2015 23:08 |  #27

Well boys and Girls, I do like the bracket. It's much easier to switch between portrait and landscape on the tripod, without having the weight of the camera pulling it over when trying to shoot in portrait mode.
But that's what it's all about. Right?
Thanks for all your input.

KaosImagery
Goldmember
1,368 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 23, 2015 20:06 |  #28

Glad you like the Kirk bracket. They're not cheap, but if they do what you need, they serve their purpose.

Website (external link) flickr (external link) 500px (external link) FaceBook (external link)

Timphoto
Creme de la Curmudgeon
8,827 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Apr 2008

Jan 25, 2015 12:13 |  #29

eddieb1 wrote in post #17241451 (external link)
Take a look at the Sunwayphoto L brackets. Quality is great and it looks pretty much the same as the RRS bracket. Plus, it's 1/2 the price. Bought mine from an ebay seller. Fast delivery, too.

That mirrors my experience. I purchased a Sunwayphoto L bracket for a different camera and while it may not be as finely executed as the RRS, it's still very good and an excellent value for the money at 63% less than the RRS unit.

Tim

sponsored links

5,849 views & 0 likes for this thread
Kirk or RRS L Bracket for 5DMkIII?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.