Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 23 Nov 2014 (Sunday) 15:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 1D Mark III for hockey

rickec
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Nov 23, 2014 15:57 |  #1

Hey everyone, have a few questions regarding the C.Fn settings on the 1D III for shooting ice hockey.
I have the exposure and white balance down no problem and just wondering about C.Fn. III-2,3,4 and 5. I have C.Fn III-8 set to 1

I have read conflicting articles regarding these settings ( depends on what you're shooting I guess )
Any advice would be appreciated.

sponsored links
xarik
Goldmember
1,776 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2013

Nov 24, 2014 14:16 |  #2

Following as I literally just purchased a 1D3 for hockey and sports in hopes that it's as sharp as my 6D

Bodies: Canon 5D3 - Canon 1D4
Lenses: Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 DG OS HSM SPORTS - Canon 100mm F2.8 L - Canon 70-200mm F2.8 L - - Canon 85mm F1.2 L V2 - Canon 40mm F2.8 Pancake
Extras: 2 Neewer TT520 Speedlites - Manfrotto 3021BPRO and ballhead

Check out my Flickr (external link)!

rickec
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 02, 2014 17:43 as a reply to  @ xarik's post |  #3

Hey xarik, wonder why nobody wants to offer any suggestions for our " antique" ID III's ? Maybe I might have better luck posting in the "1D III" forum.

Anyways, I shot 3 hockey games since my original post and I find I am having great success with C.Fn III-2 set in the middle, III-3 set to 0, III-4 set to 1 and III-5 set to 1. I have also changed III-8 to 2. I also make sure I am focusing for a least 1 second in AI Servo on the subject that I want to photograph using back button focus.

I am using the 70-200 f 2.8 II L and like I said it really is working well. Give these settings a try and see how you make out.

Gary ­ Wiant
Goldmember
1,008 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 02, 2014 18:22 |  #4

Give the thread a little time with the new update it may take a while for people to find this. There are a ton of 1D3 users on here it may be old but it is still an amazing camera especially for sports. I'll do my best answering these questions

I haven't had my 1D3 for real long but it has really changed my photography and not only my sports photos.

C.fn iii -2 I keep at the 2nd slowest so if players skate in front of who you are focusing on this will let the camera maintain focus without jumping to the player (s) cutting across in front of you. Don't be afraid to go slower.

C.fn iii -3 This I have set on 0 this is similar to the last this helps keeps the subject in focus.

C.fn iii -4 I have this set on 0 from what I've been told this keeps the camera focusing on the AF point and not jumping from one AF point to the next AF point.

C.fn iii -5 I have this set to 1 when you lose focus this keeps the camera from cycling through the focus.

I have C.fn iii -8 set to 0 this setting kind of goes with the other settings I gave you. If you can keep the AF point on your subject keep these settings, but I've found with C.fn iii -2 on the slower settings you camera will maintain focus even if you can't keep the AF point on the subject.

Good luck

Gary Wiant
1D mk IV - 1D mkIII - Eos- M - 70-200mm F2.8 IS Mk II - 24-105L f4 - 50 f1.4 - 100 2.8 Macro - M22mm - M18-55 - Canon Ef-Ef-s to M converter - 1.4x VIII & 2x VII extenders - 540EXII Flash, Flash Zebra SF-18 Ext. Battery Pack, Kenko Extension Tubes - Manfroto Macro Bracket - Lensalign Flickr (external link)

Socal82
142 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Dec 03, 2014 21:54 as a reply to  @ Gary Wiant's post |  #5

Rickec

Im new to the 1d3 myself and its a upgrade from my 50d. I have my C.fn setting similar to Gary Wiant and it helps while focusing. It takes a second to pick up focus but stays on there and doesn't jump around when someone else enters the frame. I shoot high school basketball so lighting is horrible on a good day. Wish it could do better in low light but better then my 50d for sure.

Dunner
43 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jan 21, 2015 22:05 |  #6

I have had my 1D III for a few years now and use similar settings as outlined by Gary. I shoot hockey and lacrosse indoors and have had great results with this setup. I've been tempted to move from this camera but can't see a good replacement for the money.

Brandon ­ Anderson ­ Photos
907 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jan 25, 2015 15:40 |  #7

I remember seeing a article by Peter Reed Miller on his settings for the 1d 3 but I can't seem to find it. I have my camera set to his settings. Ill keep looking for it and if I find it ill post it

Gear: 2-1D MkIII's | 5D Gripped | 50D Gripped | Rebel 6.3 | 70-200L F2.8 MkI | 17-40 L F4 | 300mm f2.8L | 28-135 3.5/5.6 IS | Nifty Fifty | Canon 15mm 2.8 Fisheye | (2)Norman 400b | 430 ExII | Some Studio Lighting | Go Pro Hero | Go Pro Hero 2
Web Site www.ba-photos.com (external link)

sun5150
160 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 25, 2015 21:39 |  #8

This for the MKIV

http://www.sportsshoot​er.com/news/2371 (external link)

sponsored links

2,955 views & 1 like for this thread
Canon 1D Mark III for hockey
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.