Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 18 Dec 2014 (Thursday) 15:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

$2000 off 1DX Am I missing something?

Strontium
Durr?
7,409 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jan 25, 2015 15:30 |  #46

Let's analyze this!

hang your cross wrote in post #17399803 (external link)
Have a blessed day.

You need to understand what plagiarism is about. It's about using other people's work to benefit your own. As you can see, there was no intent on me getting ahead by using the statement in which was a response to someone in particular.

I'm pretty sure that most people understand what plagiarism is. You, though, seem to think it applies here.

If you have trouble reading for understanding, I can set you up with some reading material / lessons in order to help you guys out better.

I know how to cite sources in multiple styles. Here, on an Internet forum I already stated where I got my information and that was quoted by another poster as well. When I read a thread, I read every post to make sure I know what's going on; not just one person's reply and then complain because I had no clue what's going on.

It is fairly obvious, to me, that you have no clue how to cite sources. If you did, you would know that you don't just do it once. This is not a book.

I stated CPW from the beginning. Learn to read Internet forums.

Again, this is not a book.

Have a blessed day.

I am I

sponsored links
bryzf1
Goldmember
1,004 posts
Gallery: 380 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 25, 2015 21:55 |  #47

back to the topic at hand... what is the difference between the grey market camera at these heavily discounted prices? Just lack of warranty?

Bryan
Switched to Sony - A7iii | A9 | 12-24G | 28 f/2 | 35 f/1.4 | 50 f/1.8 | 85 f/1.4GM | 135 f/1.8GM | 100-400GM
flickr (external link)

PhotoPrice
181 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 25, 2015 22:16 |  #48

bryzf1 wrote in post #17400344 (external link)
back to the topic at hand... what is the difference between the grey market camera at these heavily discounted prices? Just lack of warranty?

A Canon USA warranty is not guaranteed, but historically Canon USA has provided warranty service to grey market items. This, however, is a policy they can unilaterally change at any time.

Additionally, the accessories and packaging may have been regionalized to a region other than the USA. For the 1D-X this isn't a big deal as the default battery charger LC-E4N is international and 'corded' already; likely the seller opened the box and provided an additional USA power cord for the battery charger. (For other bodies it's a different charger than the USA model. e.g. for the 5D Mark III the international battery charger LC-E6E is two-piece with a separate cord, the USA charger LC-E6 has the two-prong plug built into the charger itself.)

Grey market bodies from certain regions are limited in the language selection available on-camera. (Bodies from Japan & Asia are limited to English, Chinese, and Japanese. Bodies from South America and Europe have the same language selections as USA/Canada.)

On the "soft" side, these unauthorized eBay dealers have much stricter return policies (restock fees if returning if not defective). Think of them as low-margin, no-frills, overstock resellers.

One thing to note is, the deal in the OP of this thread is not a legitimate grey market deal, but is from a bait and switch store. The deal from AllNewShop/GetItDigita​l via eBay at $4199 is legitimate, but beware of the aggressive upsell call.

dog ­ rocket
931 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 25, 2015 22:50 |  #49

Wow, I missed all the fun here. Sorry I played a small role in that.

This is a good informative thread and I hate to see it closed so maybe a mod can clean it up so we can continue to follow this deal and others like it. This price is best-yet for the 1DX and I'm sure I'm not the only one following intently.

Anyone here buy one of these deals yet?

Randy...

bryzf1
Goldmember
1,004 posts
Gallery: 380 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 26, 2015 00:28 |  #50

Thank you "PhotoPrice" for your informative reply!

Bryan
Switched to Sony - A7iii | A9 | 12-24G | 28 f/2 | 35 f/1.4 | 50 f/1.8 | 85 f/1.4GM | 135 f/1.8GM | 100-400GM
flickr (external link)

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007
Post edited over 5 years ago by bps.

Jan 26, 2015 11:56 |  #51

Yes, $4,199 is an amazing price for a grey market Canon 1DX. CPW has been gathering data (to their best extent possible) on these specific purchases and they do a great job of helping consumers understand the differences between US models, imported models (grey-market), and even US models purchased from non-authorized dealers. For example, read CPW's short article below and be sure to also read the comments too. It's a very informative read.

http://www.canonpricew​atch.com …y-deals-5d-mark-iii-1d-x/ (external link)

I really appreciate folks that help photographers navigate the sometime murky waters and CPW does great job.

Bryan

My Gear List

dog ­ rocket
931 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 26, 2015 17:21 |  #52

Yes, I have been following those comments as well. I have even responded (under "Randy"). CPW answered the question I posted there by responding that only one 1Dx buyer reported his being a US model while all the others were 5D3 buyers.

Randy...

Charles ­ Brown
153 posts
Joined Oct 2007
Post edited over 5 years ago by Charles Brown.

Jan 26, 2015 23:23 |  #53

One or two recipients of the grey market 1DX reported receiving a body with firmware revision 2.0.7.

The latest firmware from Canon is 2.0.3. The rumor mill blogs took those forum reports like a football and ran with it to make "news" that a new "unannounced" firmware release has been issued by Canon. I interpret the user reports with more skepticism, wondering if the firmware uploaded onto these grey bodies is a hack of some sort.

If I were to consider one of these eBay deals, I would definitely be looking into the version and validity of the firmware that ships with them.

Thank goodness "hang your cross" was shown the exit door.

dog ­ rocket
931 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 27, 2015 15:25 |  #54

Hmmm... this is disconcerting. Now I feel the need to wait to hear an explanation to this. :(

Randy...

tmalone893
Goldmember
2,024 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Joined Jan 2006
Post edited over 5 years ago by tmalone893.

Jan 29, 2015 12:59 |  #55

Charles Brown wrote in post #17401953 (external link)
One or two recipients of the grey market 1DX reported receiving a body with firmware revision 2.0.7.

The latest firmware from Canon is 2.0.3. The rumor mill blogs took those forum reports like a football and ran with it to make "news" that a new "unannounced" firmware release has been issued by Canon. I interpret the user reports with more skepticism, wondering if the firmware uploaded onto these grey bodies is a hack of some sort.

If I were to consider one of these eBay deals, I would definitely be looking into the version and validity of the firmware that ships with them.

Thank goodness "hang your cross" was shown the exit door.

dog rocket wrote in post #17402927 (external link)
Hmmm... this is disconcerting. Now I feel the need to wait to hear an explanation to this. :(

Looks like the firmware update was put in the cameras before it was announced. The update firmware was made available Jan. 28, 2015:-)

Name: Theron
MaxPreps Profile (external link)
My Gear

flickr (external link)
https://www.instagram.​com/theronmalone/ (external link)

Charles ­ Brown
153 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 29, 2015 23:26 as a reply to  @ tmalone893's post |  #56

Yes, the 2.0.7 firmware is genuine Canon. I found that out yesterday as well.

dog ­ rocket
931 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 30, 2015 17:43 |  #57

Yea, but now the deal's gone. lol.

Randy...

snowblower
123 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 30, 2015 22:29 |  #58

PhotoPrice wrote in post #17400362 (external link)
A Canon USA warranty is not guaranteed, but historically Canon USA has provided warranty service to grey market items. This, however, is a policy they can unilaterally change at any time.

Additionally, the accessories and packaging may have been regionalized to a region other than the USA. For the 1D-X this isn't a big deal as the default battery charger LC-E4N is international and 'corded' already; likely the seller opened the box and provided an additional USA power cord for the battery charger. (For other bodies it's a different charger than the USA model. e.g. for the 5D Mark III the international battery charger LC-E6E is two-piece with a separate cord, the USA charger LC-E6 has the two-prong plug built into the charger itself.)

Grey market bodies from certain regions are limited in the language selection available on-camera. (Bodies from Japan & Asia are limited to English, Chinese, and Japanese. Bodies from South America and Europe have the same language selections as USA/Canada.)

On the "soft" side, these unauthorized eBay dealers have much stricter return policies (restock fees if returning if not defective). Think of them as low-margin, no-frills, overstock resellers.

One thing to note is, the deal in the OP of this thread is not a legitimate grey market deal, but is from a bait and switch store. The deal from AllNewShop/GetItDigita​l via eBay at $4199 is legitimate, but beware of the aggressive upsell call.

I am one of those individuals that saw the $4,199 on CPW and jumped on the deal. It was just like what was said above, a very aggressive upsell call. I might have bit on it if I didn't see the followup warning post by CPW prior to them calling. I held firm on the price and now the body is on the way. I'm hoping for a USA model with a warranty card but if it's a grey market model I won't be upset. I figure that in the next year I will have to put an additional $2,500 into the body just to get to the break even point of what I would have paid for the USA model. After the first year the playing field is equal because the warranty is technically gone on both bodies. It arrives this Monday and I will post back what's in the box. Keeping my fingers crossed....

Canon 1D-X Mk II | Canon 1D-X | Canon 5DIII |Canon 8-15 F4L Fisheye | Canon 16-35 F2.8L | Canon 24-70 F2.8L II | Canon 35 F1.4L II | Canon 50 F1.2L | Canon 85 F1.2L II | Canon 70-200 F2.8L II IS | Canon 400 f2.8L | Canon 200-400 f4 IS Extender 1.4xL | Canon 800 F5.6L | Speed Light 600 EX II x6

KHAWACHEN
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 31, 2015 08:17 |  #59

snowblower wrote in post #17408082 (external link)
I am one of those individuals that saw the $4,199 on CPW and jumped on the deal. It was just like what was said above, a very aggressive upsell call. I might have bit on it if I didn't see the followup warning post by CPW prior to them calling. I held firm on the price and now the body is on the way. I'm hoping for a USA model with a warranty card but if it's a grey market model I won't be upset. I figure that in the next year I will have to put an additional $2,500 into the body just to get to the break even point of what I would have paid for the USA model. After the first year the playing field is equal because the warranty is technically gone on both bodies. It arrives this Monday and I will post back what's in the box. Keeping my fingers crossed....

Looking forward to your update. I saw the $4199 before CPW posted that was because i had my eBay app alert setup for new listed 1DX but didn't buy because have never heard of this seller.
CPW did later post and then later on said this seller is the same as GETITDIGITAL and later on updated with a little warning about their Upsell.
Kinda good thing i didn't buy because i don't handle stress well and it would not have gone well if the seller tried to upsell me. LOL vmad:-P

Also now that Canon will release new bodies next month, i'm kinda glad i didn't pull trigger on the 1DX.

Pls report back w/ pictures of your experience with this 1DX! :-)

eye2i
Goldmember
1,791 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Jan 31, 2015 09:07 |  #60

KHAWACHEN wrote in post #17408417 (external link)
Looking forward to your update. I saw the $4199 before CPW posted that was because i had my eBay app alert setup for new listed 1DX but didn't buy because have never heard of this seller.
CPW did later post and then later on said this seller is the same as GETITDIGITAL and later on updated with a little warning about their Upsell.
Kinda good thing i didn't buy because i don't handle stress well and it would not have gone well if the seller tried to upsell me. LOL vmad:-P

Also now that Canon will release new bodies next month, i'm kinda glad i didn't pull trigger on the 1DX.

Pls report back w/ pictures of your experience with this 1DX! :-)

Eh, shouldn't be too hard. especially on the phone. Just say NO, NO. Yep and NO to every offer.

sponsored links

14,588 views & 7 likes for this thread
$2000 off 1DX Am I missing something?
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.