Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 09 Jan 2015 (Friday) 16:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help with Warranty

Mattyy
98 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Jan 09, 2015 16:40 |  #1

My beloved 5D3 has gone in for repair with the company I bought it from and they've come back to me saying the camera has been dropped and that's why the shutter needs fixing.

I have not dropped the camera as they think I have and they refuse to do the repair under warranty and have hit me with a huge bill, has anyone had similar story when it comes to warranty? What would be the best course of action?

Thanks in advance :(

5D Mark3 | 600D | EF 50mm f/1.4 | EF 70-200mm f/2.8 II L | Canon 16-35mm f/2.8 II L
Website (external link)
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Trvlr323
Goldmember
3,290 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 09, 2015 16:50 |  #2

When you say company you bought it from do you mean the retailer is acting as an intermediary between yourself and Canon or do you mean the warranty is provided by a 3rd party like Mack?

Sometimes not taking a photograph can be as problematic as taking one. - Alex Webb

Mattyy
THREAD ­ STARTER
98 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Jan 09, 2015 16:54 as a reply to  @ Trvlr323's post |  #3

Third party, mistake by me as pointed out when I contacted canon, told me it was a "grey import" and the woman explained what that entailed. She said that canon could repair it but if it had a warranty which it did, to use that... But it looks like it wasn't much of a warranty if they try to wriggle out of it :/ i feel pretty sick after seeing the bill :-(

5D Mark3 | 600D | EF 50mm f/1.4 | EF 70-200mm f/2.8 II L | Canon 16-35mm f/2.8 II L
Website (external link)
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Trvlr323
Goldmember
3,290 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 09, 2015 16:58 |  #4

Canon knows whether or not is is grey by the serial number anyway as they control distribution. It sounds unfortunate but there is probably little recourse at this point.

Sometimes not taking a photograph can be as problematic as taking one. - Alex Webb

Mattyy
THREAD ­ STARTER
98 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Jan 09, 2015 17:47 as a reply to  @ Trvlr323's post |  #5

Well I was wondering if anyone knew if contacting these repair companies to re asses? It definitely has not been dropped... They could say that to everyone coming in for warranty repair so surely they would need documented evidence of why they feel it has been dropped?

Website (external link)
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Blurr ­ Cube
...a lucky id-iot that didn't get electrocuted...
15,147 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 09, 2015 18:07 |  #6

Somewhat relevant article by CPW I believe:

http://www.canonpricew​atch.com …nd-grey-market-explained/ (external link)

Near the bottom:

"Warranty: By the book, you only get warranty in the region your item was originally destined for. If you have a Canon Japan camera, technically you’d have to send your camera back to them for warranty service. In practice though, Canon USA is extremely lenient with its warranty service, especially if you bought the body in the USA. We’ve never had a reader tell us their US-bought camera was rejected for warranty service. Note, the above statement doesn’t apply to clearly imported versions (i.e. different camera name (650D vs. T4i), tampered serial number, etc).

Canon repair centers have stated they can’t figure out what’s import vs not based on serial number. We’ve had a few readers tell us that sending a non-US version body for warranty repair was successful, but not enough overwhelming evidence for us to loudly announce it. At this time we recommend trying to send items in for warranty repair, even if they’re import version; Canon seems to stand behind their products and that’s a good thing! Contrast this with Nikon: Nikon USA repair centers won’t touch a grey market item, even if you’re paying for the repair!

Note, in this situation, warranty is at the discretion of Canon and they can unilaterally change their policies at any time."

I'd ask more on how they determined it was dropped if you know it wasn't. Also, how did Canon know it was gray? Hope things work out though.

| Canon EOS Systems |

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,525 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Jan 09, 2015 23:53 |  #7

Mattyy wrote in post #17374435 (external link)
Third party, mistake by me as pointed out when I contacted canon, told me it was a "grey import" and the woman explained what that entailed. She said that canon could repair it but if it had a warranty which it did, to use that... But it looks like it wasn't much of a warranty if they try to wriggle out of it :/ i feel pretty sick after seeing the bill :-(

Was there any exterior damage to the camera that would indicate that it was dropped? If not then the best you can do is try to make it more hassle than it is worth so that they give in a do it under warranty. Call them back, inform them that it hasn't been dropped and that you want it reassessed/fixed under warranty. If they wont do this (or they still say it was dropped)...

1. Inform them in writing (registered/signed for) that the camera has not been dropped and that you require that they honour the warranty and do the work or explain what evidence they have that the camera was dropped.
2. Unless they provide some pretty damning evidence that it was dropped (which obviously they shouldn't be able to do) issue a small claims court claim against them. Hopefully the hassle of this will get them to back down (and you can cancel proceedings).

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

Mattyy
THREAD ­ STARTER
98 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Jan 10, 2015 02:29 |  #8

Thank blur cube that's very helpful thankyou :) and it was just by the serial number she was able to say it was a grey import, I was gutted as I legitimately thought it was a genuine company.

Dan Marchant wrote in post #17374977 (external link)
Was there any exterior damage to the camera that would indicate that it was dropped? If not then the best you can do is try to make it more hassle than it is worth so that they give in a do it under warranty. Call them back, inform them that it hasn't been dropped and that you want it reassessed/fixed under warranty. If they wont do this (or they still say it was dropped)...

1. Inform them in writing (registered/signed for) that the camera has not been dropped and that you require that they honour the warranty and do the work or explain what evidence they have that the camera was dropped.
2. Unless they provide some pretty damning evidence that it was dropped (which obviously they shouldn't be able to do) issue a small claims court claim against them. Hopefully the hassle of this will get them to back down (and you can cancel proceedings).

I was thinking of asking the repair company for evidence of why they feel it's been dropped as I can categorically say it has not, I never expected a company to be so deceitful though. I didnt think about going to seek legal advice I was more thinking about insurance but that's probably the first route I should take thank you

Website (external link)
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

dkizzle
Goldmember
1,184 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 10, 2015 08:14 |  #9

Mattyy wrote in post #17375099 (external link)
Thank blur cube that's very helpful thankyou :) and it was just by the serial number she was able to say it was a grey import, I was gutted as I legitimately thought it was a genuine company.

I was thinking of asking the repair company for evidence of why they feel it's been dropped as I can categorically say it has not, I never expected a company to be so deceitful though. I didnt think about going to seek legal advice I was more thinking about insurance but that's probably the first route I should take thank you

I hope you have some pictures of how the camera looked before you sent it in. I also hope that it is returned to you in the same condition as you sent it.

I want to guest blog on your Landscape / Travel photography blog, PM for details

Trvlr323
Goldmember
3,290 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 10, 2015 09:36 |  #10

Dan Marchant wrote in post #17374977 (external link)

Visible damage of the exterior does not prove or disprove anything. The camera could have fallen foreword on a tripod directly onto the lens, dropped from height directly onto a battery grip or dropped while inside a case that provided protection against abrasions but not shock. In each of these scenarios (and more) the camera could have been damaged without a scratch.

One has to assume that a written request for repair has already been made following proper procedure. The warranty provider couldn't have refused a warranty repair if a proper request wasn't made in the first place. Whether a drop was mentioned or not that request has been denied.

As for legalities the warranty provider has the benefit of being a certified expert in cameras and camera repair and probably quite capable of backing up their conclusion in any forum legal or otherwise. As the pursuant the OP would have the burden of proof. Unless he or she is also an expert a 3rd party expertise would be required. Likely at a greater cost than the repair.

The warranty provider is a big corporation who has seen it all before, heard all the threats and likely has a lot of protection mechanisms built into the fine print of their warranties in the way of conditions and disclaimers. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a condition in the warranty that states legal claims must be made in the country, state or even city of the company's registration.

The absolute best one can hope for is some goodwill on the part of the company but 3rd party warranty providers aren't usually in the business of handing it out.

Mattyy
THREAD ­ STARTER
98 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Jan 10, 2015 11:02 |  #11

nqjudo wrote in post #17375354 (external link)
Visible damage of the exterior does not prove or disprove anything. The camera could have fallen foreword on a tripod directly onto the lens, dropped from height directly onto a battery grip or dropped while inside a case that provided protection against abrasions but not shock. In each of these scenarios (and more) the camera could have been damaged without a scratch.

One has to assume that a written request for repair has already been made following proper procedure. The warranty provider couldn't have refused a warranty repair if a proper request wasn't made in the first place. Whether a drop was mentioned or not that request has been denied.

As for legalities the warranty provider has the benefit of being a certified expert in cameras and camera repair and probably quite capable of backing up their conclusion in any forum legal or otherwise. As the pursuant the OP would have the burden of proof. Unless he or she is also an expert a 3rd party expertise would be required. Likely at a greater cost than the repair.

The warranty provider is a big corporation who has seen it all before, heard all the threats and likely has a lot of protection mechanisms built into the fine print of their warranties in the way of conditions and disclaimers. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a condition in the warranty that states legal claims must be made in the country, state or even city of the company's registration.

The absolute best one can hope for is some goodwill on the part of the company but 3rd party warranty providers aren't usually in the business of handing it out.

This has killed any hope I had :( I will still ask for the reason/evidence of it being dropped and see what they say after that but after reading your post I highly doubt I will get anywhere. I only took a picture of the packaging and how much protection I used as I didn't think it would come to this, I thought it would be a simple send off get repaired under warranty and return...

Website (external link)
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

PhotoPrice
180 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 25, 2015 22:22 |  #12

Blurr Cube wrote in post #17374534 (external link)
Somewhat relevant article by CPW I believe:

http://www.canonpricew​atch.com …nd-grey-market-explained/ (external link)

Near the bottom:

"Warranty: By the book, you only get warranty in the region your item was originally destined for. If you have a Canon Japan camera, technically you’d have to send your camera back to them for warranty service. In practice though, Canon USA is extremely lenient with its warranty service, especially if you bought the body in the USA. We’ve never had a reader tell us their US-bought camera was rejected for warranty service. Note, the above statement doesn’t apply to clearly imported versions (i.e. different camera name (650D vs. T4i), tampered serial number, etc).

Canon repair centers have stated they can’t figure out what’s import vs not based on serial number. We’ve had a few readers tell us that sending a non-US version body for warranty repair was successful, but not enough overwhelming evidence for us to loudly announce it. At this time we recommend trying to send items in for warranty repair, even if they’re import version; Canon seems to stand behind their products and that’s a good thing! Contrast this with Nikon: Nikon USA repair centers won’t touch a grey market item, even if you’re paying for the repair!

Note, in this situation, warranty is at the discretion of Canon and they can unilaterally change their policies at any time."

I'd ask more on how they determined it was dropped if you know it wasn't. Also, how did Canon know it was gray? Hope things work out though.

The above statement (in bold) only pertains to Canon USA repair centers. Canon UK is known to check and deny repairs to non-UK bodies.

Blurr ­ Cube
...a lucky id-iot that didn't get electrocuted...
15,147 posts
Joined Aug 2010
Post edited over 5 years ago by Blurr Cube.

Jan 26, 2015 00:29 |  #13

PhotoPrice wrote in post #17400368 (external link)
The above statement (in bold) only pertains to Canon USA repair centers. Canon UK is known to check and deny repairs to non-UK bodies.

Didn't realize OP was dealing with Canon UK. Nice to know Canon USA will stand by their products.

| Canon EOS Systems |

sponsored links

1,456 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help with Warranty
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.