Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 20 Jan 2015 (Tuesday) 21:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

POTN G-series Speed Challenge #518 - One or Two people "portrait"

rpolitsr
5,977 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2005
Post edited over 4 years ago by rpolitsr.

Jan 20, 2015 21:30 |  #1

Challenge #518 - One or Two people "portrait"

Thank you for the participation and congratullations for the winning photos.

Although the three participants are the 'defacto' winners, I am glad that these are three beautiful portraits.
I will wait for the two people versions in another challenge.

Winners

• JimAskew - first – G11 – Nathaniel
    -
  • Car - second – G7 – Freyja
    -
  • HWolf - thirth – G15 – Starbucks faces
Jim, good luck and too many entries for challenge #519 :) you are the host and judge in charge.

rafael

Description of this challenge topic:

I'm almost in the allowed time limit to post a new challenge. Sorry for the delay.
The reason: I had to help setting up an improvised but almost complete mini-studio for shooting portraits in the field.

Portraits have bee asked before in these challenges, sometimes with very special requirements.

Influenced by the work of today, I will ask you portraits again.

Not essential the multiple lights, backdrops or other studio-like implements, just 2 things:

- a carefully chosen location.
- Composition and/or framing to make the face(s) of your subject(s) the main part of your photography.

To add some possibilities, I'm allowing up to a second person in your photo, if you like. This broadens the scope of the 'portrait' to brothers, twins, couples, mom with a kid etc.

No more than two persons please, to keep the importance of the faces in the photo.

Good luck.

To submit, click the button labeled 'POST TO THREAD' and put your Photo Title in the first line of the post, above your photo.
Don't forget your Camera Model.

Post until Monday noon GMT, 26 January 2015.

Photo Submissions

1. Camera -- Canon G-Series Camera G1, G2, G3, G5, G6, G7, G9, G10, G11, G12, G15, G16, G1X, G1X Mark II, G7 X and Pro1 only.
    -
  2. Time -- any on-topic photo taken at any time is eligible, although photos that have won other competitions should NOT be entered.
    -
  3. Size -- photo must be no less than 800 pixels and no more than 1024 pixels on the longest side, with NO BORDERS.
    -
  4. Post-Processing -- do whatever you like and the host will decide if it works.
    -
  5. Posting --
    • One photo per photographer in each challenge.
    • Photo Title in the first line of the post.
    • Camera model.
    • EXIF data, if you like.

6. Commenting -- No commenting on photos by anyone, including the photographer. Once the winners are declared, photographers can add comments to their images and everyone is invited to discuss.
    -
  7. Photo Display -- Photos must appear in this thread to be eligible.
    -

Time

One challenge every week, on the following schedule:
  • New Topic ... As soon as possible after winning.
  • Posting Starts ... Right after topic is announced.
  • Posting Stops ... Monday noon GMT
  • Winners Announcement ... As soon as possible, max. until Tuesday noon GMT.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Click FOLLOW THIS THREAD in the top right of the challenge's thread page.
Notifications of new posts will appear below the POTN logo and the main links in the top of each forum page.
Note: Email notifications are not active at the moment, they will be available soon.
Pay attention to your PMs or 'Heads Up!' messages. This will allow the host, helpful members or moderators to contact you about winning or ineligible photos.
Thank you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Click this sentence for Hosting Rules and Winners List.

Click this sentence for Discussion of Rules thread.

rafael
Canon EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.
My photo galleries (external link)
Marketplace: PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED IN POTN

sponsored links
Car
627 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jan 2008
Post edited over 4 years ago by Car.

Jan 21, 2015 07:39 |  #2

Freyja

G7

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i214.photobucke​t.com …reyja1020_zpsf7​9a91f9.jpg (external link)

JimAskew
Cream of the Crop
7,447 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 21, 2015 12:32 |  #3

Nathaniel
G11

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Jim -- I keep the Leica D-Lux 7 in the Glove Box just in case!
7D, G5X, 10-22MM EF-S, 17-55MM f/2.8 EF-S IS, 24-105MM f/4 EF L, Leica D-Lux 7

rpolitsr
THREAD ­ STARTER
5,977 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jan 26, 2015 10:58 |  #4

Challenge #518 is CLOSED for judging.
Congratulations to the winners!
I will choose the winners order as soon as possible.

rafael
Canon EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.

rpolitsr
THREAD ­ STARTER
5,977 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jan 26, 2015 20:23 |  #5

Winners announced on the first post

Thanks for your participation.

rafael

Car
627 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 27, 2015 07:10 |  #6

Congratulations Jim and HWolf and thanks Raphael for hosting and judging.
I'd really hoped that there would be more entries this week, there's not a photographer I know that's not got a portrait of someone :-)
Hopefully you'll get a better turnout for the next challenge Jim, good luck!
Carolyn

teekay
Goldmember
3,037 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Jan 27, 2015 10:57 |  #7

Congratulations to all three winners!

Car wrote in post #17402243 (external link)
.....there's not a photographer I know that's not got a portrait of someone :-) ...Carolyn

Well, you know one now, Carolyn - me! The few real portraits I've done were years ago with a film camera when I was also doing occasional passport photos while living in a small, very remote town with no other photographer. Apart from that, all my "people" photos have been informal shots that unfortunately could in no way compete with the cute kiddie shots entered. I did try to find one worth entering, but in vain.:-(

OhLook
Spiderwoman
19,081 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 27, 2015 12:26 as a reply to  @ Car's post |  #8

Carolyn, I skipped this week because, like teekay, I didn't have a suitable image and couldn't easily generate one. It may come as a surprise that not everyone's main interest is people. (It came as a surprise to me when I began to understand that most people's main interest is people.) My experience shooting faces is very slight, and I haven't the first idea how to light them. But this was a good theme for photographers who know how to apply it!

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

JimAskew
Cream of the Crop
7,447 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 4 years ago by JimAskew. (2 edits in all)

Jan 27, 2015 13:02 |  #9

Congratulations to Freyja and HWolf...great portraits. Many thanks to Rafael for the first place award. Nathaniel is my grandson :-) I grabbed that shot when the wife and I were visiting with him and his Mom and Dad (our son) in LA last Thanksgiving. I have always enjoyed portrait photography and as you can imagine get a lot of practice doing portraits with my wedding work. In fact I bought the 85MM f.1.2 EF L just to do portraits with. But I find the G-Series can do well given the right lighting and some TLC in post processing. I actually had two portraits to submit this week but after a debate with myself settled in on Nataniel. My other entry is of my lovely sister-in-law made a few years ago with my G10. Note: I upgraded to the G11 just to get the folding screen capability on the G11...my brother got the G10 :-) Here is my sister-in-law portrait. BTW, I confess to using Portrait Professional s/w in processing these...it is a marvelous tool in my wedding photography toolbox.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

JimAskew
Cream of the Crop
7,447 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 27, 2015 13:16 |  #10

I would like to encourage folks as well to jump in and participate. I just posted Challenge #519 up for consideration. I call it "Break the Rules" and I want to see how you can create a great photo without sticking to the "Rule of Thirds" or keeping "the Horizons Straight." So the subject matter is whatever you choose and the composition must be out of normal bounds :-) Let's do it!

Car
627 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 27, 2015 15:30 |  #11

Oh dear, I stand corrected then :-) my poor kids can't move for me taking picures of them. Good job they aren't camera shy
Carolyn

JimAskew
Cream of the Crop
7,447 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 27, 2015 16:48 |  #12

Car wrote in post #17402932 (external link)
Oh dear, I stand corrected then :-) my poor kids can't move for me taking picures of them. Good job they aren't camera shy
Carolyn

Enjoy it while you can, Carolyn. My older grandkids see me coming with a camera these days and they run in the opposite direction :-)

Car
627 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 27, 2015 17:33 |  #13

JimAskew wrote in post #17403029 (external link)
Enjoy it while you can, Carolyn. My older grandkids see me coming with a camera these days and they run in the opposite direction :-)

I totally sympathise with them Jim, I'd do the same, hate getting my picture taken. Much prefer to stay the other side of the camera :-)

sponsored links

4,937 views & 1 like for this thread
POTN G-series Speed Challenge #518 - One or Two people "portrait"
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.