Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 07 Jan 2015 (Wednesday) 01:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lacrosse photos

ddk2001
118 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Apr 2014
Post edited over 4 years ago by ddk2001. (2 edits in all)

Jan 22, 2015 12:43 |  #16

JeffreyG wrote in post #17383371 (external link)
Zooming in tighter would have a bigger effect than using a smaller aperture. Not only would it blur out the background, it would also focus the shot on the subject.

The next thing you need to do is change position. Both of these shots are treating the offensive player as the subject, but shooting the back of his head. In the first shot, you need to be standing exactly on the other side of the shooter. Then you would have a great shot.

In that second shot, if you were around the end line off to your right, you would have got the shooter in profile and you would have the sun at your back making the shadows look a lot better. As it is, any shot where I cannot see the subject's eyes in sports is a shot that goes in the trash bin.

Before shooting any outdoor sports, look at where the sun is and then place yourself for faces, peak action and good light. Then shoot tight and crop tighter. This is why I typically tell people that 200mm is not long enough for field sports, even on 1.6X format. Look back at my examples in this thread and note how tight they are, and how I placed myself for the evening light.

Yes! Location, Location, Location!

I love how much I've learned from these forums. For those of you "in the know" - kudos to you all for sharing and instructing the rest of us on how to get better pictures.

I struggled with lens selection as well - and ended up with the 70-300L. I shoot my kids lacrosse and soccer with it - and am very happy with the lens.

Here's a pic @ f6.3 - but at 300mm . Just using it to show how you get good background blur with increased focal lengths - even when not shooting @ f/2.8 or f/4.

I selected this pic because it's one of the only pictures I've taken at max focal length. My apologies that it's soccer . . . :lol:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
ddk2001
118 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Apr 2014
Post edited over 4 years ago by ddk2001.

Jan 22, 2015 13:01 |  #17

And here's a lacrosse pic - with my 70-300L (and my T2i). f/5, 200mm.

HOSTED PHOTO

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Post edited over 4 years ago by watt100.

Jan 23, 2015 09:22 |  #18

Supersteve911 wrote in post #17394642 (external link)
I shoot LAX with a 70-200 2.8. I wish I had a 400 to shoot with as that IMO would be the best lens for that sport.

I've heard that too and I suppose it's because people like those tighter 400mm shots (more background blur) however I upload far more pics in the 100-250mm range than the 250-400 range, and that's for soccer, field hockey and lacrosse.
Maybe it's a numbers thing when you take hundreds of shots for a game

Canon 60D
Canon 100-400 (original)
f5.6
iso 500
220mm

IMAGE: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5607/15445576667_20ff924175_b.jpg

pat.kane
691 posts
Joined May 2005
Post edited over 4 years ago by pat.kane.

Jan 26, 2015 16:41 |  #19

watt100 wrote in post #17396143 (external link)
I've heard that too and I suppose it's because people like those tighter 400mm shots (more background blur) however I upload far more pics in the 100-250mm range than the 250-400 range, and that's for soccer, field hockey and lacrosse.

More likely, just a different way of looking at the photo. Vice your 220mm landscape perspective, I would have used the 400mm end of your zoom range and captured the vertical crop shown below.

P.S. let me know if you want me to pull the recrop of your photo.

HOSTED PHOTO

1Dx Mk II, 5D4 and some L glass (gear list / feedback)
http://MaxPreps.DMVpix​.com (external link)
http://www.DMVpix.com (external link)

Czbrat271
611 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 26, 2015 22:16 |  #20

If your son is playing games at night. Then with the 7D you will need a lens that has a f/2.8. During the day time you can get buy with an f/4. I have a 300f/4, and love it for night football. But also have a 5D3, and have no issues cranking the ISO up to 6400 to 8000. With the 7D, I always struged above 2000. The new 7d2 is suppose to be comparable to the 5D3.

SRF34
52 posts
Joined Jun 2007
Post edited over 4 years ago by SRF34.

Feb 19, 2015 20:50 |  #21

I started shooting lax when my son started playing in 3rd grade, he is now a sophomore in HS. I have grabbed on to a lot of great advice reading these forums. I started with a 30D and a 70-200L IS. I kept my back to the sun, faced the subject(s), kneeled or sat down to get low and see their eyes under their visors, used a monopod (although not necessary for that setup) and moved along the side and end lines. Players faces are exciting, backs of helmets not so much.

I typically shot at 2.8 to blur the background but f4 on that lens is super sharp and I usually didn't give up much in bokeh at f4. I shot with IS off. The trick with a shorter (200m reach) lens is patience. Put yourself in a position to get close to the action and wait for it to come to you. If you aren't sure, take the shot and see what it looks like after you crop it during PP. Don't like it? Delete it. Digital film is cheap and we aren't learning if we aren't experimenting. It won't take long for you to recognize your legitimate range. Once you know it, do your best to move to it.

I then bought a used 100-400L. That's a great lens for the money if you want more reach and still obtain crisp photos. It may not be as tack sharp as the 70-200L IS but don't turn up your nose at f5.6 at 400m. Search these forums and you will see fantastic shots taken with that lens.

Along the way bodies and gear have been upgraded and a 300 prime has made its way into my kit but the basics remain the same for me: get low, get close, get the light on their faces and shoot. A lot. Your son and his friends/teammates grow up quick. Its a fun ride especially when you can capture it and look back at their progression and growth over the years.

-Peter

Peter
Massachusetts

pfjbaldwin
327 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 01, 2015 10:39 |  #22

Have shot lax for many years in Baltimore area and best single piece of advice is use a monopod. Look at your handheld max focal length shots and see if you're satisfied. If not try a monopod.

pfjohnsonphotography.c​om, pfjphoto.com, Baldwin, MD
CPS

sponsored links

6,202 views & 1 like for this thread
Lacrosse photos
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.