Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 25 Nov 2014 (Tuesday) 13:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photographers Gloves

Bcaps
I was a little buzzed when I took this
877 posts
Gallery: 82 photos
Best ofs: 16
Joined Jun 2003

Dec 26, 2014 21:08 |  #61

gashpono wrote in post #17352081 (external link)
Just wondering if your fingertips get cold/frozen after a while, when the glove part is used "naked" for operating the camera?

I'm heading to Tahoe in a week and will give mine a try. Probably won't get much below 25 F though.

- Dave | flickr (external link)
Nikon D810
14-24mm f/2.8 | 16-35mm F/4 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/4 | Sigma 150-600mm

sponsored links
Simon_Gardner
Goldmember
1,307 posts
Joined Mar 2010
Post edited over 4 years ago by Simon_Gardner. (2 edits in all)

Dec 30, 2014 02:19 |  #62

I was using these down to -30° inside the arctic circle recently. I had to slip mits over them from time to time as I worked but they always give me the "touch" I need. At -10° they are pretty much sufficient on their own. Your particular circulation may make a difference. Me, I'm a hot person (only in temperature) but you don't want frostbite.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i754.photobucke​t.com …02_1597-1_zps92be54a4.jpg (external link)

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i754.photobucke​t.com …02_1608-1_zps78f7bfdc.jpg (external link)

@Simon_Gardner | Since 27 Nov 1987 | Tripod fetishist - moi?

Simon_Gardner
Goldmember
1,307 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 30, 2014 02:25 |  #63

tvphotog wrote in post #17316327 (external link)
I think snow qualities as very cold and wet, and the gloves are used by the Austrian ski team.

Actually, no. Very cold snow isn't wet. You have to make quite an effort to melt it and generally, it doesn't.

@Simon_Gardner | Since 27 Nov 1987 | Tripod fetishist - moi?

BlackParrot
186 posts
Joined May 2013

Jan 25, 2015 10:27 |  #64

I bought a pair of Winter Golf gloves on Amazon. Super thin interior lining and still has some feel while not exposing any skin.
$14.99

1D Mk3 | Tamron SP 35/1.8 VC | Tamron SP 85/1.8 VC
Flickr (external link)

Maxdave
Goldmember
1,162 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Apr 2007
Post edited over 4 years ago by Maxdave.

Jan 26, 2015 07:53 |  #65

A friend and I (we both have Heat 3 gloves) tried them out two weeks ago in -15C, windy conditions, right beside a partially ice flow clogged St. Clair River (more than a kilometre wide). I'm 67, with the attendant circulation issues. The day felt cold and quite uncomfortable, but the gloves were very good at making it at least reasonably possible to enjoy the shooting experience.

I found I could use the gloves with the mitten cover folded back for about 15 minutes before I decided I had had enough. After just a couple of minutes re-mittened, I was then able to do another 15 minutes, so I judged that performance quite acceptable.

Dexterity using the Heat 3's is not an issue. I used a 1D4 and even a touch screen EOS M. The only problem with the latter was seeing the screen ... not being able to operate it.

I have since bought some Little Hotties to add to the gloves (these are a variety of Hand Warmers ... chemical heat pouches). I figure that will make the gloves quite "toasty" when mittened up, and speed up the "recycle" time, so to speak!

The images of me shooting with the 1D4 were shot by my friend.

Overall, I judge them as excellent.

Maxdave

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

5D3,1D4,S90,6S&Moment Lenses,Hero4Silver,GPS​-E2,2x580EX,430EX,90EX,​EF16-35L f/4 IS,Samy SYTS24-C 24TS,EF24-105L IS,EF50 f/1.4,EF70-200 f/4L IS,EF300 f/4L IS,EF100-400L I IS,Kenko DGX 1.4X,Canon 2X TC Mk II, RRS&Pro-Media L-Brackets,Manfrotto MHXPRO-3WG & Roller 50,Sirui 306&K-20,Giottos MT-7371&MH-3300,Velbon ElCarmagne 530,CamRanger,Phottix&​Canon Remotes,Lowepro Backpack,ThinkTank Retro 20&Modular System,OpTech straps,Lexar/San Disk Cards

tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007
Post edited over 4 years ago by tvphotog.

Jan 26, 2015 13:13 |  #66

I tried the Heat3 gloves at about 10 degrees F. for about a half and hour with fingers exposed out of the mittens. Excellent results, good traction and action on the camera. Will add heat pads for colder weather. Better than I expected.

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 27, 2015 02:01 |  #67
bannedPermanent ban

tvphotog wrote in post #17401166 (external link)
I tried the Heat3 gloves at about 10 degrees F. for about a half and hour with fingers exposed out of the mittens. Excellent results, good traction and action on the camera. Will add heat pads for colder weather. Better than I expected.

Ha-hah! And to think that you were sceptical at first!  :p 8-)

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

_aravena
isn't this answer a stickie yet?
12,450 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jan 27, 2015 12:26 |  #68

Standard cold I just use some fingerless gloves I got from Lowe's. If it's a bit nippy I have some glove lin wear under some my tips are covered and my hand as a whole can have double protection but I'm generally good even in windy conditions in the 20's and teens.

Last Shot Photography
My Site (external link) ~ Gear List ~ Bag Reviews

jeetsukumaran
316 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2007
Post edited over 4 years ago by jeetsukumaran. (2 edits in all)

Feb 20, 2015 09:54 as a reply to  @ Maxdave's post |  #69

So I have been using the SMART HEAT 3 gloves now for quite a bit, in our Michigan winter, with temperatures down to -20-30F with wind chill at times.

My take:

# Warmth

1. With the mittens on, they work as well as any other (high-end) winter glove of similar size/thickness/padding in keeping your hands warm
2. With the mittens off and with just the inner liner glove offering protection, it is better than nothing but things get uncomfortably cold pretty darn quickly, especially in wind: the attached liner gloves are fine for what they are, but they are fairly thin and not wind-resistant, so expecting much more out of them would not be realistic. They are sufficient to protect the hands to work the camera for really short stretches of time (minutes to tens of minutes, depending on your tolerance, circulation, wind and other factors), but that is about it.
3. The integrated pockets of the chemical heat pouches are a nice design feature, but could be done better. There is an equal amount of padding on all sides of the chemical pocket, which means as much heat is lost through the back of the glove as is transmitted to the inner (hand portion) of the glove. I would have though they would have just think fabric between the chemical pocket and the hand space, as well as infrared reflector material lining the outside wall of the pocket.

# Dexterity

This is a qualified answer: if the inner glove fits you absolutely perfectly, dexterity would probably be great. Unfortunately, for me, this was not the case. I run a medium, and that is what I ordered. I think their sizes run a little bit larger or maybe I am on the small end of the medium range, because the inner lining gloves are just a little too big. After putting them on tight enough so that my fingers are pushed in as far as the they can go, there is a tad bit extra fabric in each of the fingers and thumb. This extra fabric, especially in the thumb area, does interfere with the controls of the camera. Also, the extra fabric around the thumb bunches up and makes closing the thumb flap (really, really) irritating at times.

# Generally

I really wish the inner liner glove was removable. It would solve both the above problems, as one could pick a warmer/thicker liner glove when it is cold enough to demand it, as well as get a custom fitting glove if needed.

All in all, I am satisfied with the this glove, but not thrilled. I think they work well enough, but I am not sure that they are better than some alternatives. Frankly, I think if you get a decent pair of thick mittens with cuffs that let you take the mittens off and leave them dangling plus a good pair of liner gloves, you will have a better setup that this. The attractive feature of the SMART 3 is that it lets you pop your gloved hands out of the mittens without taking them off. I think popping of mittens attached by cuffs, shooting, and then putting your hands back in the mittens again is really at least just as convenient as unzipping the two pockets, unvelcroing the two thumb flaps, shooting, and then going through the whole dance again. Now, of course, a decent pair of mittens of the same quality as the SMART 3, plus inner lining gloves might actually end up costing more than the SMART 3, but you get much more flexibility, convenience, warmth, custom-fitted dexterity. Not to mention the ability to wash/replace the inner liners as needed.

One way or another, the SMART HEAT 3 gloves are going to be my go-to winter photography (and other activity) glove: I cannot return it, and I cannot justify getting an alternate pair. As I said, the gloves work fine. Great, even. I just think that, knowing what I know now, if I was choosing a winter photography glove from scratch, I would do what I suggested above: get a separate pair of good mittens and inner gloves. And by "good mittens" I mean having all the nice insulation as well as the "hot pockets", but the crucial feature would be the cuffs that allow for you to pop the mittens off and leave them dangling: this is what will give the system the same convenience as the HEAT SMART 3.

I should also note that one thing I did do was to get an extra pair of SEIRUS thermal liner gloves and put them on my hands under the SMART 3. This not only keeps my hands warmer when exposed, but also has the nice side effect of filling out the slightly-larger-for-my-hands liner gloves of the SMART 3, increasing the dexterity. This little addition makes quite a bit of (positive) difference to my usage of the gloves. As a bonus, the SEIRUS gloves fit into the chemical warmer pocket of the SMART 3 gloves, so they can be packed away when I do not need them.

Gallery: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jeetsukumaran/ (external link) Website: http://jeetworks.org/ (external link) Canon 6D, Zeiss Distagon T* 2.8/21, EF 24-70 f/2.8L II USM, EF 40mm f/2.8 STM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM II.

jeetsukumaran
316 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 20, 2015 09:54 as a reply to  @ tvphotog's post |  #70

What did you end up using as water-proofing/conditioning agent?

Gallery: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jeetsukumaran/ (external link) Website: http://jeetworks.org/ (external link) Canon 6D, Zeiss Distagon T* 2.8/21, EF 24-70 f/2.8L II USM, EF 40mm f/2.8 STM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM II.

tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 24, 2015 13:59 |  #71

jeetsukumaran wrote in post #17440697 (external link)
What did you end up using as water-proofing/conditioning agent?

Aquaseal Leather Waterproof Liquid. Water based, no residue. Everything else had a lot of oil as a base.

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

Russ61
265 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 30, 2015 18:50 as a reply to  @ tvphotog's post |  #72

Apparently Heat 3 gloves now come in 3 versions, ie Full Leather, Smart, and Special Forces. The 1st 2 are touchscreen sensitive, the latter 2 are NOT made out of leather (except the palms) but rather an "elastic microfiber". The Full Leather version has "Gold" primaloft insulation, the others apparently have less, aka just primaloft. There's about a $40 difference between full leather and Smart and another $18 cheaper for the Special Forces.

From MaxDave's images above I'm guessing that those are the Full Leather version? Does anyone have or tried on the various models and can provide some feedback?

Nick5
Goldmember
3,112 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Dec 31, 2015 09:51 |  #73

tvphotog wrote in post #17293259 (external link)
These are my favorite. AquaTech Sensory Gloves. I have a pair in medium for the fall, and a pair in large that I use with polypro glove liners in winter. The index fingertip and thumbtip are made from neoprene with a slotted hole at the finger pad. You can stick out your thumb and index finger to activate buttons. Not for the coldest days. At B&H and I suspect elsewhere too.

Also, this thread:

Photos courtesy B&H (external link)

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by tvphotog in
./showthread.php?p=172​93259&i=i249114564
forum: Canon Accessories

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by tvphotog in
./showthread.php?p=172​93259&i=i124673497
forum: Canon Accessories

This is what I have as well.

Canon 5D Mark III (x2), BG-E11 Grips, 7D (x2) BG-E7 Grips, Canon Lenses 16-35 f/4 L IS, 17-40 f/4 L, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 70-200 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/4 L IS Version II, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS Version II, TS-E 24 f/3.5 L II, 100 f/2.8 L Macro IS, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 17-55 f/2.8 L IS, 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender III, 5 Canon 600 EX-RT, 2 Canon ST-E3 Transmitters, Canon Pixma PRO-10 Printer

tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Joined Aug 2007
Post edited over 3 years ago by tvphotog.

Dec 31, 2015 11:08 |  #74

Nick5 wrote in post #17838844 (external link)
This is what I have as well.

I must say that as an owner of both the Aquatech and the Heat 3 gloves, I continue to use both. The Aquatechs I wear in weather down to about 40 degrees, and the Heat below that. I wear a liner in the Aquatechs which I bought a size larger to account for the liner. Works teriffically.

I'm impressed with the Heat because of 1) personal experience, and 2) because B&H now carries them. They are the warmest and the most easily configured (with chemical "teabags"), and the most easy of any glove to use on camera controls.

The leather ones don't impress me, unless I find that the fabric on my present pair wears poorly. I have found that leather gloves no matter how water-resistant they are advertised to be, get wet and take a LONG while to dry. Also, they're a bit bulky compared to the fabric ones I have, which are almost weightless. The best pair of winter gloves that I've ever had (not camera gloves) was a pair of Marmot Ultimate gloves, with leather palm and finger tips, and a nylon body. They were fantastic for skiing and outdoor activity. They were not all leather.

But the leather ones are definitely cool-looking. As I said, if the fabric doesn't hold up, I will watch the comments here on the leather ones.

Jay

Maxdave
Goldmember
1,162 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 01, 2016 11:11 as a reply to  @ Russ61's post |  #75

When I got mine there was only one type ... the leather on mine covers all but the back of the hand, the cuffs, and a portion of the thumb. Whether the insulation on mine is "Gold" or not, I have no idea. Mine have screen operating pads on the forefingers and thumbs of the inner gloves.
When they are "locked up", as I call it, they are so warm (at least in the winter conditions where i wear them) you have to get them off once in a while!

Maxdave

5D3,1D4,S90,6S&Moment Lenses,Hero4Silver,GPS​-E2,2x580EX,430EX,90EX,​EF16-35L f/4 IS,Samy SYTS24-C 24TS,EF24-105L IS,EF50 f/1.4,EF70-200 f/4L IS,EF300 f/4L IS,EF100-400L I IS,Kenko DGX 1.4X,Canon 2X TC Mk II, RRS&Pro-Media L-Brackets,Manfrotto MHXPRO-3WG & Roller 50,Sirui 306&K-20,Giottos MT-7371&MH-3300,Velbon ElCarmagne 530,CamRanger,Phottix&​Canon Remotes,Lowepro Backpack,ThinkTank Retro 20&Modular System,OpTech straps,Lexar/San Disk Cards

sponsored links

28,533 views & 11 likes for this thread
Photographers Gloves
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.