Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup 
Thread started 16 Dec 2014 (Tuesday) 02:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Any toughts on CrashPlan?

WhyFi
Goldmember
2,766 posts
Gallery: 237 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2008

Jan 17, 2015 08:21 |  #31

I have a server in my basement and my catalog is backed up to mirrored drives. As such, services like CrashPlan are purely of the "what if the house burns down?" variety. Yes, it could happen, but only against some serious odds.

The caveat, of course, is that the value of my catalog is primarily of the sentimental, as opposed to monetary value. Would I think differently if if my catalog was a breadwinner? I can't say for sure, but I've never been one to buy lottery tickets, so I don't think that that would change my mind.

Bill is my name - I'm the most wanted man on my island, except I'm not on my island, of course. More's the pity.

sponsored links
NemethR
THREAD ­ STARTER
867 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2012
Post edited over 4 years ago by NemethR.

Jan 20, 2015 01:04 |  #32

hollis_f wrote in post #17386731 (external link)
Or, you could restore it from one of the hard drives? Which would be faster, cheaper and more reliable.

Actually a 3TB HDD in my country costs more then a 2 year plan for CrashPlan, so taking that in account its not that expensive, anymore.

Taking into account that you would replace that HDD every 3-4 years, well, its not that bad.

Roland | Hobbyst Photographer
Nikon D850 | Nikon 70-200 f/2.8G VR II | Nikon 85mm f/1.8G | Nikon 35mm f/1.8G

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 20, 2015 07:09 |  #33

NemethR wrote in post #17390772 (external link)
Actually a 3TB HDD in my country costs more then a 2 year plan for CrashPlan

Really? I presume you can order from amazon.de - where a 3TB drive is just over €100, about the same a a 2-year crashplan. But faster and easier. And the hard drive is unlikely to go bankrupt.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

NemethR
THREAD ­ STARTER
867 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jan 20, 2015 07:35 |  #34

hollis_f wrote in post #17390990 (external link)
Really? I presume you can order from amazon.de - where a 3TB drive is just over €100, about the same a a 2-year crashplan. But faster and easier. And the hard drive is unlikely to go bankrupt.

True. :)

But as I mentioned previously I in fact do have 2x 3TB HDDs, from wich 1 is the backup of the other.

Roland | Hobbyst Photographer
Nikon D850 | Nikon 70-200 f/2.8G VR II | Nikon 85mm f/1.8G | Nikon 35mm f/1.8G

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,352 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 20, 2015 17:10 |  #35

hollis_f wrote in post #17390990 (external link)

Hard drive warranties keep getting shorter and drives DO die.

chantu
904 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 22, 2015 01:19 as a reply to  @ mike_d's post |  #36

Remember that no matter where you store your data, it's gonna be on some hard drive somewhere in the world. The same vulnerabilities of that HD on your desk also applies to that HD in the bowels of some data center.

Canon 5D mk3, 7D mk2, 7D, 17-40L, Canon 85mm f1.8, Canon 70-200mm IS, Canon 17-55mm, Sigma 17-50 OS, Sigma 10-20mm, Tamron 24-70VC 580ex flash (x3), 550ex, Yonguo 622C triggers, Fuji XE-1, 18-55mm Flickr (external link)Feedbacks of Items Sold/Bought *

DGStinner
Goldmember
1,040 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Jan 2014

Jan 22, 2015 08:00 |  #37

chantu wrote in post #17394186 (external link)
Remember that no matter where you store your data, it's gonna be on some hard drive somewhere in the world. The same vulnerabilities of that HD on your desk also applies to that HD in the bowels of some data center.

The difference being that the hard drives in the data center are typically backed up frequently (in most cases daily) and are protected from fire without using water or anything else that can damage the equipment.

Dave Stinner
Gripped 7DII | 6DII
EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM | EF 24-105mm f/4L | EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM | EF 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM | Rokinon 8mm | Sigma 150-600
Instagram (external link)

Xyclopx
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2008
Post edited over 4 years ago by Xyclopx.

Jan 27, 2015 19:36 |  #38

NemethR wrote in post #17335410 (external link)
Hi!

I have heared of a service called CrashPlan, where you can (for $6/month) safely backup basicly unlimited amount of data.
I currently have an internel and an externel HDD both 3TB that I use for storing my pictures.
(The internal is the backup copy of the external.)

So I decided to give CrashPlan a try, (30 days free) but would be interested to see what others think of it (do you guys use it, or is it not worth it?)

Thanks.

Been using it for about 2 months and I love it. Here are my notes for you:

1. It is a huge resource hog. It will require a ceiling of ~1gb per tb you are backing up. So, for my current 4.5tb I have seen spikes of up to 3.9gb of memory usage. But normally it uses 1/4-1/2 that much.

2. It likes to have decent CPU usage if you let it. If you choose to limit it (by default) it will limit its upload speed too. I let mine run loose and it has hit 20% CPU utilization, but that doesn't bother me because my computer is plenty fast.

3. It is slow to upload. I have a 6.3mbps up connection (~60mbps down), and it you limit its CPU usage it hits the full 6.3mbps ~10-20% of the time. If you do not limit the CPU it hits 6.3mbps ~50% of the time. But it never stays at full capacity.

4. Adding to #3, at my upload speed, with the computer on 24/7, starting my service ~2months ago, it just hit 90% backed up of 4.5tb. It takes that long.

5. Yes, it does do NAS, or other networked computers mounted as drives. Requires trickery with Windows. With Macs probably works without doing anything weird. Compare to BackBlaze, its big competitor--that does not do network drives (for good reason, because it essentially lets you avoid more expensive multi-computer accounts by using one single computer as the center.)

6. Does have a client that runs on some NAS. Has one for my Drobo NAS, but I don't use it cause I am afraid of the resource usage.

7. Though the software is a resource hog, it otherwise runs very well. It only crashed once, and other than that has never interfered with my work despite running 100% of the time in the background.

8. The software is very customizable and allows prioritization of sources. I heard BackBlaze is not as configurable, and also forces filtering of certain files.

9. The IOS app is near useless.

10. The web app appears to do what you need it to do. Does allow you to see your current configuration, but changes must be made directly at the client.

So there you go.

PS--I just noticed you are in Hungary. I am gonna guess Crashplan's servers are in America. Your upload speed might be stupid slow due to your distance, seeing that even in America it's already very slow. But I see you are doing the free trial... what kind of speeds are you seeing?

Dean Chiang (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear (external link)
My Photos (external link)
Instagram @xyclopx (external link) @feetandeyes (external link) @gastramour (external link)

Xyclopx
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 27, 2015 19:55 |  #39

flowrider wrote in post #17342112 (external link)
300 GB? I have 1.7 Tb I want to back up! Lol. I can't imagine doing a full restore. I just finished backing up to a hard drive and it still took 3 days.

i don't think this is their intended usage. if you want to restore your whole hd, i think the better option is for them to ship you a new one. crashplan is meant to be a failsafe--you know, in case your hd "crashes." at that point, pay them a few $100's to give you a new hd with all your data. i heard their prices for hd's are reasonable.

also, about your strategy of avoiding the cloud backup, and backing up to your own managed hd's... there are probably better ways of doing this. i know crashplan advertises you can do this with their software for free, but i am sure it's just a marketing scheme for them. there are "file sync" programs out there that are better suited for this and are not as crazy resource hogs as crashplan.

and, fyi, i saw another comment you made about having your internet locked up. fyi, you can schedule its uploads for times like 3am if you want, so it avoids disturbing you. that said, it's so slow that given you have a good connection, you won't notice it 1/2 the time. and you can pause any time.

Dean Chiang (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear (external link)
Instagram @xyclopx (external link) @feetandeyes (external link) @gastramour (external link)

flowrider
Goldmember
3,585 posts
Gallery: 124 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 27, 2015 22:10 |  #40

Xyclopx wrote in post #17403337 (external link)
i don't think this is their intended usage. if you want to restore your whole hd, i think the better option is for them to ship you a new one. crashplan is meant to be a failsafe--you know, in case your hd "crashes." at that point, pay them a few $100's to give you a new hd with all your data. i heard their prices for hd's are reasonable.

also, about your strategy of avoiding the cloud backup, and backing up to your own managed hd's... there are probably better ways of doing this. i know crashplan advertises you can do this with their software for free, but i am sure it's just a marketing scheme for them. there are "file sync" programs out there that are better suited for this and are not as crazy resource hogs as crashplan.

and, fyi, i saw another comment you made about having your internet locked up. fyi, you can schedule its uploads for times like 3am if you want, so it avoids disturbing you. that said, it's so slow that given you have a good connection, you won't notice it 1/2 the time. and you can pause any time.

Any file sync programs you can suggest? I have a Synology Nas right now and I was thinking if getting another one, maybe a single drive unit, to back up to.

~Steve~
~ My Website-stevelowephoto.com (external link) ~ Facebook (external link)
Feedback Feedback Feedback

Xyclopx
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 27, 2015 23:05 |  #41

flowrider wrote in post #17403553 (external link)
Any file sync programs you can suggest? I have a Synology Nas right now and I was thinking if getting another one, maybe a single drive unit, to back up to.

I personally use SyncBackFree. I think it also does FTP so you could do a remote backup over the internet that way if you wish. But that's probably not ideal--not sure how efficient FTP is for this sort of thing. For sync'ing at home it's totally great though. But if you want to sync over the web, you might want to research more options.

That said, I thought Synology has replication built in their NAS?--if so, then that's totally perfect for you. You just write to your NAS at home, and it'll automatically replicate itself to your offsite mirror. At least that's how I understand it would work.

Drobo's high-end large-capacity NAS also has replication built in. But it's probably overkill, and I assume you don't want to change systems. Unfortunately their smaller 5N does not have such a feature at this time.

DGStinner
Goldmember
1,040 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Jan 2014

Jan 28, 2015 08:39 as a reply to  @ flowrider's post |  #42

I don't know what OS you have but I use rsync on my Mac and have Automator run every Sunday morning at 6 AM.

Dave Stinner
Gripped 7DII | 6DII
EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM | EF 24-105mm f/4L | EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM | EF 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM | Rokinon 8mm | Sigma 150-600
Instagram (external link)

chantu
904 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 29, 2015 19:10 |  #43

Xyclopx wrote in post #17403605 (external link)
I personally use SyncBackFree.

That said, I thought Synology has replication built in their NAS?--if so, then that's totally perfect for you. You just write to your NAS at home, and it'll automatically replicate itself to your offsite mirror. At least that's how I understand it would work.

Synology has apps built in to backup elsewhere, either to another Synology or to the cloud ... but you gotta pay for that cloud. Nothing's free.

The synology has usb ports which could used as backup to external drives (what I do).

Canon 5D mk3, 7D mk2, 7D, 17-40L, Canon 85mm f1.8, Canon 70-200mm IS, Canon 17-55mm, Sigma 17-50 OS, Sigma 10-20mm, Tamron 24-70VC 580ex flash (x3), 550ex, Yonguo 622C triggers, Fuji XE-1, 18-55mm Flickr (external link)Feedbacks of Items Sold/Bought *

bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
1,658 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Jan 29, 2015 19:45 as a reply to  @ chantu's post |  #44

NemethR wrote in post #17343343 (external link)
The issue is nt the plan, but the cable, that can only support this speed. Unfortunately they are not willing to change the old copper cable to "glass".
So I have to stich with this speed, but its not an issue.
:(

By "cable" I assume you mean twisted pair, because broadband coax (so-called "Cable Internet) in the USA currently supports 100/35mbps.

NemethR wrote in post #17390772 (external link)
Actually a 3TB HDD in my country costs more then a 2 year plan for CrashPlan, so taking that in account its not that expensive, anymore.

Taking into account that you would replace that HDD every 3-4 years, well, its not that bad.

I've been using Crashplan for more than a year. Before that I used Carbonite, but Crashplan provides better features and pricing IMHO.

• Automatic and unlimited backups to their cloud for a competitive, fixed price.
  • Automatic and unlimited backups to a local HDD for free. I use this feature myself to a USB drive. I then clone the drive periodically and put it in my safety deposit box.
  • Automatic and unlimited backups to another computer running Crashplan, either on your LAN or across the Internet, also free. I use this so my children can backup their data to my computer.
  • Versioning! Crashplan doesn't just you restore a deleted or corrupted file. Crashplan let's you restore a prior version of the file, even if you discovered you messed it up days or weeks in the past.
  • Seeded backups. I didn't use this. But the local backup completed in a few days and the cloud backup in less than two weeks.
  • Recovery data available on HDD shipped to your address. Hopefully I'll never need to use this.

I've used Crashplan to restore individual files. My thoughts on recovering from an entire HDD failure is that I have the local backup on my USB to perform a full restore. If both my main HDD and local backup are lost, I don't imagine I'd have a need for all my data to be immediately restored, just the stuff I need to work on short-term. If the rest takes a few weeks to get restored I don't expect it to be a big deal.

-- Mark | Gear | Flickr (external link) | Picasa (external link) | Youtube (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Image editing is okay

Xyclopx
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 29, 2015 19:51 |  #45

chantu wrote in post #17406303 (external link)
Synology has apps built in to backup elsewhere, either to another Synology or to the cloud ... but you gotta pay for that cloud. Nothing's free.

The synology has usb ports which could used as backup to external drives (what I do).

right. i thought the use case was that the dude had an offsite hd he was going to back up to. so i was just saying that if both units are synology's then that's totally ideal since it's a built-in feature.

personally though i'd just use crashplan or backblaze. and as a non-cloud offsite just sync to external hds and swap them around with ones at your parents', friends', or work. (that's what i do).

sponsored links

12,561 views & 7 likes for this thread
Any toughts on CrashPlan?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.