Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk 
Thread started 28 Jan 2015 (Wednesday) 07:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Spot metering portritats

cleyvosier
848 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jan 28, 2015 07:17 |  #1

I was told that the best way to get exposure right for portraits is to spot meter off subjects face. So do i just hover over get the exposure and then go to manual lock in the settings then focus and recompose i'm lost?

Gear- Canon 50d, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM,Alien Bee 1600 & csr+ reciever, Sekonik L-358
Feedback

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 28, 2015 07:54 |  #2

cleyvosier wrote in post #17403885 (external link)
I was told that the best way to get exposure right for portraits is to spot meter off subjects face. So do i just hover over get the exposure and then go to manual lock in the settings then focus and recompose i'm lost?

Spot metering is great, but you need to know how to use it.

When using spot metering you still have to take inro account the tones you are metering from, in fact more so than with evaluative. Whereas Ev has usually got a range of tones to take into account and comes up with a reasonable average (most of the time) getting in close and spot metering from one predominant tone can give inaccurate results. A meter doesn't give the correct exposure to reproduce what you point it at, it gives a suggested exposure based on it attempting to reproduce that tone (or tones) as an average grey (14-18% grey, depending on how it is set up in your camera firmware).

So, let's say you take two models in identical lighting, one with black African skin colouring and the other with a pale complexion, such as a typical redhead where the skin can be very pale, and spot meter their faces. The camera will attempt to reproduce each face as the SAME mid tone, and therefore will give an exposure reading that will significantly overexpose the dark skinned model (trying to lighten them to grey) and a very different reading that will underexpose the pale skinned model (trying to darken the tone). The correct exposure will be somewhere inbetween. You can either use experience to take a spot reading and then think "OK, they have quite dark skin, so I need to reduce exposure by X amount" or else take the reading from a grey card in the same light and that should be about right.

The other option is to get a separate light meter, one that can take incident readings, and measure the light directly as that way it won't be affected by any tones it is reflected off.

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Jan 28, 2015 08:52 as a reply to  @ sandpiper's post |  #3

Sekonic offers an effective demonstration (external link) on how incident metering generates exposure results that are not biased by subject tones.

By contrast, spot metering is often employed for a metering technique called the zone system (external link), which requires careful analysis of a scene. For portraiture, incident metering is far simpler and is still accurate

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,444 views & 0 likes for this thread
Spot metering portritats
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.