Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation 
Thread started 27 Jan 2015 (Tuesday) 10:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Great Aircraft Display

cdiver2
Goldmember
1,032 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jan 27, 2015 10:27 |  #1

Aircraft and what a display of cameras and lens's

http://player.vimeo.co​m/video/93587997 (external link)

sponsored links
Shake ­ N ­ Vac
520 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jan 27, 2015 10:44 |  #2

Great trailer - going to Flying Legends for the first time this year, can't wait to see the balbo!!!

Canon 6D / Canon 70-200 IS ii / Sigma 100 Macro f2.8 / 50mm f1.8
www.sm-wedding-photography.co.uk (external link)

96whiteknight
PERMANENT BAN
2,046 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 27, 2015 13:52 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

Transportation Talk

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,052 posts
Gallery: 547 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 27, 2015 14:00 as a reply to  @ Shake N Vac's post |  #4

If your going to Duxford then I would recommend that you get/rent a longer lens. I suggest the Canon 100-400 or the Sigma 150-600 would be the best two options. Avoid the Tamron 150-600 as the there is no Mode 2 (panning mode) on it's VC system. To get good prop blur good image stabilisation really helps with those slow shutter speeds. I rented the Tamron for an airshow last year and it was a disaster.

I was lucky enough to go to the very first airshow at Duxford after it became part of the IWM back in (I think) 1974. it was certainly before they had built the M11 which chopped off the end of the runway.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,414 posts
Gallery: 222 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 27, 2015 14:03 |  #5

Damn! That would be awesome to see. I'm envious of those who attend.

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Flickr 2 (external link)...
Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

LA ­ Smith
403 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 28, 2015 09:49 |  #6

This would be my dream vacation!!

5D,20D, some lenses and stuff

LV ­ Moose
23,414 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 28, 2015 09:54 |  #7

At the airshows around here, you rarely see a Spit, and NEVER a FW-190 or Bf 109. And those are my two favorites.

Moose

Aircraft (external link)

PhotosGuy
Cream of the Crop
75,941 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Jan 28, 2015 11:41 |  #8

LV Moose wrote in post #17402807 (external link)
Damn! That would be awesome to see. I'm envious of those who attend.

Me, too! It looks like it will be a great shhow!

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,052 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 28, 2015 15:12 |  #9

LV Moose wrote in post #17404066 (external link)
At the airshows around here, you rarely see a Spit, and NEVER a FW-190 or Bf 109. And those are my two favorites.

We have no flying Messerschmitt Bf109's over here all the flying ones are actually Hispano Aviación HA-1112-M1L Buchón's which are basically Messerschmitt Bf 109G-2's with Rolls Royce Kestrel (I think) engines fitted. You can tell from the exhaust stacks which are at the top of the fuselage. The Bf's all had Daimler Benz motors that were installed inverted which was possible because they were fuel injected, so the exhausts where at the bottom. AFAIK the flying Fw-190 replica is based in the USA so we are pretty unlikely to see that either. It's the same with the He 111 medium bombers. All the preserved ones are actually licence built CASA's with RR engines. Half the Spanish air force ended up over here during 1967 for the making of the film the Battle of Britain. Which was mostly filmed out of Duxford. During that film they blew up one of the main pre war period hangers. The only issue is they seem to have filmed it with a tilt shift lens so it looks like a bloody model in the film!

As it is the photo sharing forum, a Hispano along with a Spit Mk IX T over Duxford at the spring 2013 Airshow.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

And a closer shot of the Hispano at the same show.

HOSTED PHOTO

Alan

LV ­ Moose
23,414 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 28, 2015 15:18 as a reply to  @ BigAl007's post |  #10

Yeah, it's pretty easy to tell the difference. But the one in desert paint at beginning of the film isn't a Hispano. Looks like a 109F to me, but possibly a replica? Anyway, they're close enough to the real deal to give me wood.

Moose

Aircraft (external link)

Shake ­ N ­ Vac
520 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jan 30, 2015 01:24 |  #11

BigAl007 wrote in post #17402801 (external link)
If your going to Duxford then I would recommend that you get/rent a longer lens. I suggest the Canon 100-400 or the Sigma 150-600 would be the best two options. Avoid the Tamron 150-600 as the there is no Mode 2 (panning mode) on it's VC system. To get good prop blur good image stabilisation really helps with those slow shutter speeds. I rented the Tamron for an airshow last year and it was a disaster.

I was lucky enough to go to the very first airshow at Duxford after it became part of the IWM back in (I think) 1974. it was certainly before they had built the M11 which chopped off the end of the runway.

Alan

I always rent a long lens for the big airshows - it's a great way to get close to the action without having to fork out too much money (Lensfettish have 30% off if you booking during January so I really need to get it booked actually).

I usually rent the Sigma 50-500 as it goes just wide enough to turn around and grab the occasional shot of my boys without having to swap out lenses. Thinking of trying the 100-400 this year though as thanks to some redundnacy money I will be in a position to buy my own instead of renting and want to see how the 50-500 and 100-400 compare. Lack of wide angle on the 100-400 will be less critical this year as I will hopefully also be getting a 6D :D

Must be interesting to see how the airshow has changed over the years. I was at the first Sunderland airshow and the difference between that and todays is amazing.

Canon 6D / Canon 70-200 IS ii / Sigma 100 Macro f2.8 / 50mm f1.8
www.sm-wedding-photography.co.uk (external link)

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,052 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 30, 2015 07:34 as a reply to  @ Shake N Vac's post |  #12

I have found that the 100-400 isn't long enough at Duxford, the flight line is a long way out. I have a rather rubbish Centon 500mm mirror lens. I do sometimes use it, but even that still needs cropping. Hence my preference for the Sigma 150-600, as the Tamron VC won't work while panning at slow shutter speeds. As to how the shows have changed over the years. Duxford is still very similar just few more people. I was also at the very first RIAT when it was at RAF North Weald in Essex. I haven't been to a RIAT since the 80's at Greenham Common but even by then that had turned into a huge display with lots of static displays. Mildenhall was also like that, big ground displays as well a a huge flying program. One airshow location that I have been attending since the early 70's is the Shuttleworth Collection at Old warden in Beds. That hasn't really changed at all. Although back then they had the Luft-Verkehrs-Gesellschaft LVG C VI, which was the only surviving original WWI German aircraft still flying on loan from the RAF Museum. They used to fly that along with the their Bristol F2b Fighter with Observers in the rear cockpits and blanks in the machineguns.I think thats pretty unlikely in this day and age.

These were taken a little later sometime in the early/mid 80's. Scanned from 6×4 prints. Something that is pretty much never going to be seen again, as they are all original WWI vintage aircraft.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Actually thinking about it I have been to most of the really big name airshows in the southern half of England at some point or other.

Alan

tacphotog
604 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 30, 2015 23:23 |  #13

Really good vid. Makes me wish I could go.

Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS USM

sponsored links

4,045 views & 0 likes for this thread
Great Aircraft Display
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.