Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 23 Aug 2013 (Friday) 17:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

G16--Please post your photos

SoBlessednTX
44 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Oct 30, 2014 09:34 |  #136

Awesome pictures. I am having to go to a smaller system as I had a 5d MkIII and fell and injured my wrist and am having to move to a smaller system, I am looking for a smaller camera that takes good pictures.

sponsored links
2mnycars
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,035 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 30, 2014 15:40 |  #137

watch your choices.
I have had mirror less cameras. my current one does not focus on moving subjects well. That's not Good enough. OMD M5 by Olympus

spent too much. should have G16

Dave

2mnycars
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,035 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 09, 2014 10:49 |  #138

frankly I believe mirror less makes no sense for someone like me. a small dslr body would have meant a real savings for me. and images would have been better

Dave

denncald
Goldmember
2,115 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 09, 2014 14:04 as a reply to  @ 2mnycars's post |  #139

I'll throw in my 2 cents here. I still own a G9 and G11, and a couple of years back preferred the G11 for it's swivel LCD and somewhat better results at higher ISOs. However, I still prefer the G9's zoom range of 35 - 210 mm equivalent. It has been known to not have the best results at higher ISOs, so I've used Noiseware Pro for several years.

I added a Clearviewer (external link)to the G9 to overcome the small OVF, and give me a pseudo-large EVF. I like to work with the G9 much better now. And last week I read this essay that changed my mind on the G9's potentially improved images with less noise, and better results up to ISO 400.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com …um_digital_expo​sure.shtml (external link)

It's shown me I need to go back to "school" to relearn how to best shoot my cameras. I also have been using the G9 for most of my practice shots, and really can see a difference.

So, I would anticipate a G16 with a much improved (?) image sensor and processing engine would give you even more latitude for higher quality results. Add a Clearviewer, and you have a large EVF for composition and control of settings without taking your eye off the EVF (with practice).

I don't plan on replacing my G9 or G11 right now, but if I did, then I would be attracted to either the G16 or the G7 X, and add a Clearviewer.

Dennis

manderson
202 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Nov 16, 2014 07:01 |  #140

denncald wrote in post #17261345 (external link)
So, I would anticipate a G16 with a much improved (?) image sensor and processing engine would give you even more latitude for higher quality results.

Dennis

Absolutely. I've had the G9 since it came out. Jumped on a G16 about three weeks ago. Picked it up primarily for work as I have to visit different facilities and take hundreds of photos for surveys. The G16 performed incredibly well, especially low light. Hardly used the flash at all. I was pretty much set on auto because we were moving so fast and the only thing that didn't really impress me was the AWB under certain conditions. I'm certain I can work with this and quickly change to a proper setting.

The only thing that really ticked me off was this is the first Canon I have purchased that had no manual. I really like having the manual in my bag for quick reference. The manual that came with the G16 is nothing but explanation on the Wi-Fi stuff. Very disappointing.

Nothing much artsy to show. I was in the Poconos last week and saw a show at this jazz club.

IMAGE: http://www.ethicalchaos.com/images/IMG_0011.jpg

gdinalaska
25 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 04, 2014 01:06 |  #141

IMAGE: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8644/15917587316_d7d18d17a1_c.jpg

Canon G-16, edited on my iPad.

Gary
Canon G16

KevPugh
99 posts
Joined Dec 2014

Dec 23, 2014 08:42 |  #142

Some great photos in here, really comforting!

I just bought a G16 as I wanted something I could carry around with me and something with an optical viewfinder. I'm not "seriously" getting back in to photography again so didn't want to go down the DSLR route again! (I was a Nikon man) I did fancy a rangefinder but since Leica's are way out my budget the Canon was the next obvious choice!

Haven't had time to play around with it yet but so far I adore it! I'll be more inclined to take photos with this than if I had a DSLR, and getting out shooting is the first step!

Just need to buy a spare battery, filter adaptor, CP, and a flash or two (& pocket wizards) and I'm good to go!

flickr (external link)

denncald
Goldmember
2,115 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 23, 2014 10:09 as a reply to  @ KevPugh's post |  #143

I just bought a Canon refurb G15 and like it also. You might not be aware of a source for some of the things you want for your new G16, Lensmate. I've used them over the years for my G9 and G11 cameras.

http://www.lensmateonl​ine.com/store/canonG15​.php (external link)

I would also recommend considering a Canon 270EX II for a small but excellent flash. It can bounce, but not swivel, yet still does an great job at creating that extra lighting you might need.

Dennis

mathogre
Goldmember
3,530 posts
Gallery: 103 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 31, 2014 22:18 |  #144

Here are a couple from Walt Disney World. The equipment shows as a G15. It's actually a G16. As soon as the equipment DB is updated, I'll update this accordingly. Enjoy!

IMAGE: http://grahamglover.zenfolio.com/img/s10/v110/p215912981-5.jpg

IMAGE: http://grahamglover.zenfolio.com/img/s10/v100/p361604973-5.jpg

Graham
Canon A BIG ONE A Small One An itty bitty one
My Zenfolio Collection (external link)

medroller
382 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Dec 2014
Post edited over 4 years ago by medroller.

Jan 29, 2015 00:07 |  #145

just playing with the DoF from the g16. Great little camera to walk the streets with as well.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Lefty ­ Ray
328 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Feb 20, 2015 13:05 |  #146

I just recently got the underwater housing for it.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Lefty Ray
Freelance Tejano Music Photographer & Outdoor Photographer
www.leftyray.com (external link)
Canon 5D MkIII & 7D, Yea baby! Canon 16-35 2.8L USM, Canon 24-70 2.8 L USM, Canon 70-200 2.8L USM IS, Flashes: 580EX

medroller
382 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Dec 2014

Mar 19, 2015 04:08 |  #147

Lefty Ray wrote in post #17440984 (external link)
I just recently got the underwater housing for it.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Lefty Ray in
./showthread.php?p=174​40984&i=i22628810
forum: Canon G-series Digital Cameras

Well i must say , I like how clear and sharp the photo is . Does the focusing work ok under water?. I used a Nikonis 3 for under water shots, many moons ago. I could never afford a G loomis, ha.

Sahelsoosoo
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Mar 2015

Mar 28, 2015 16:38 |  #148

Any advice for learning how to shot with my g16? Not just the manual, i mean a resource for creative photography with my canon g16 capabilities.

mathogre
Goldmember
3,530 posts
Gallery: 103 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 28, 2015 17:25 |  #149

Sahelsoosoo wrote in post #17495790 (external link)
Any advice for learning how to shot with my g16? Not just the manual, i mean a resource for creative photography with my canon g16 capabilities.

Welcome to PotN!

Below is a link to a book that should get you started. The G16 is a powerful camera. You can go fully automatic, or you can go fully manual. The very best thing you should do is take photos with it!

Good luck and have fun!

http://www.amazon.com …sr=1-1&keywords=canon+g16 (external link)

Graham
Canon A BIG ONE A Small One An itty bitty one
My Zenfolio Collection (external link)

2mnycars
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,035 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 30, 2015 13:49 |  #150

thanks fo all the beautiful posts. photos are inspiring. advice inspires
Dave

Dave

sponsored links

69,258 views & 63 likes for this thread
G16--Please post your photos
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.