Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 29 Jan 2015 (Thursday) 15:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photographer vs person that takes photos

bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
1,650 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Jan 29, 2015 17:03 |  #16

An interesting article, Todd. But that would imply that newspaper, sports and even event photographers are, for the most part, not photographers.

I think a better distinction is snapshooter versus amateur versus professional photographer. But even as I try to distinguish the latter two there are examples that defy categorization.

A snapshooter is someone who does little more than look through the viewfinder and press the button. These people can sometimes produce wonderful photographs, but that outcome is coincidental.

An amateur photographer is someone who has some understanding of how to use and control his gear and the subject to produce a desired result. The result might not always be successful, but the amateur at least puts some thought into the capture. An amateur may occasionally get paid for his or her work, but does not rely on photography to generate any significant portion of his or her income.

A professional photographer is one who relies on their skills and experience in photography to produce work that earns them a significant portion of their income on a regular basis. You and I might not feel their work is of professional caliber, but if customers are willing to pay for their work on an ongoing basis, then for better or worse they are a professional photographer.

-- Mark | Gear | Flickr (external link) | Picasa (external link) | Youtube (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Image editing is okay

sponsored links
darkamble
23 posts
Joined Dec 2014

Jan 29, 2015 17:09 |  #17

urbanfreestyle wrote in post #17406107 (external link)
true enough. I just feel it used to be that 'photography' meant more than just taking a photo without any meaning behind it or any composition or thought. .

and you have just described pure photography perfectly and that is considered an art form which is decades old

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,317 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 29, 2015 17:09 |  #18

I think you have to turn the knob to the "real photographer" setting.

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,625 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Jan 29, 2015 17:09 |  #19

Not really, I think any photo can be art. Even photos of girls basketball, documentary, street candids, etc.. It's the thought that you put into the photograph that sets it apart from just "taking photos".

abacus022
Goldmember
1,313 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Jul 2011

Jan 29, 2015 17:16 |  #20

Todd Lambert wrote in post #17406136 (external link)
Not really, I think any photo can be art. Even photos of girls basketball, documentary, street candids, etc.. It's the thought that you put into the photograph that sets it apart from just "taking photos".

And make it B&W. To be art, it has to be B&W. It can be a crap photo, but make it B&W and its art.

;-)a

Canon 7D mkII, 6D, 450D
Lenses: Tamron 28-300, Tamron 18-270, Sigma 150-500, Canon 50, Sigma 28, Sigma 2X TC
www.photographyByAbacu​s.comexternal link
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/abacus22external link

mannetti21
Goldmember
3,105 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2010
Post edited over 4 years ago by mannetti21.

Jan 29, 2015 17:46 |  #21

I think using the phrase "professional photography(er)" is largely a marketing tool used to instill trust and confidence in the consumer. Unlike other occupations, there is no coursework or certification that earns you the official, legally recognized title of being a "professional" photographer. Anybody can call themselves a professional photographer. You can find some people that create AMAZING images and don't call themselves professionals, likewise, there are people who produce crap and appoint themselves the title of professional photographer.

Personally, it doesn't make a difference to me what somebody decides to call themselves. The way I see it, if a person presents a representative sample of their work, and a client hires them as their photographer knowing what they are getting, then its a win-win situation for everybody except the guy who didn't get hired. Some will disagree with me on this, but it really bugs me when other photographers chastise the MWAC (mom with a camera) for destroying the business of photography. I think it's an absolute cop-out. It would be like Mercedes-Benz complaining about Hyundai for offering an inferior product at a lower price-point. The same can be said about the local handy-man who competes with the carpenter who has 25yrs experience, or the 15yo kid who is mowing lawns in the neighborhood competing with landscapers. Like any other business, there will always be competition.

My Buyer/Seller Feedback

urbanfreestyle
THREAD ­ STARTER
I am a squirrel who loves rubbing bottles and I have Nuts in my drawers, too!
2,046 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Jan 29, 2015 17:53 |  #22

texkam wrote in post #17406135 (external link)
I think you have to turn the knob to the "real photographer" setting.

I told one of my friends that the 'P' mode was p for 'professional'

Facebook (external link)
Canon 1D Mk IV | Canon 50mm 1.8 Mk1 | Sigma 'Bigma' 50-500 | Fuji XE1 | Helios 44/m | 50mm 1.4 | Manfrotto 055CX PRO3 | 3LT Mohawk ballhead | Lubitel 2 med format camera |

darkamble
23 posts
Joined Dec 2014
Post edited over 4 years ago by darkamble.

Jan 29, 2015 17:57 |  #23

abacus022 wrote in post #17406152 (external link)
And make it B&W. To be art, it has to be B&W. It can be a crap photo, but make it B&W and its art.

;-)a

However there is one thing, which is that I see in color. Do you not? I hear dogs see in black and white are you a dog? When I look at this I see a totally unrealistic representation of reality as I see it. Why don't people understand that human beings see in color and black and white far from being artistic is just a depature from reality
extract from a comment critiquing Sally Mann http://theonlinephotog​rapher.typepad.com …the-internet-part-ii.html (external link)
and part one here
http://theonlinephotog​rapher.blogspot.co.uk …graphers-on-internet.html (external link)

very amusing use of critique of the great photographers i do wonder how communities would react if they popped up on photo sharing sites as unknowns today .

urbanfreestyle
THREAD ­ STARTER
I am a squirrel who loves rubbing bottles and I have Nuts in my drawers, too!
2,046 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Jan 29, 2015 18:01 |  #24

IMAGE: http://d.justpo.st/images/2014/10/0f239a10993d980ece754e3159885464.jpg

Facebook (external link)
Canon 1D Mk IV | Canon 50mm 1.8 Mk1 | Sigma 'Bigma' 50-500 | Fuji XE1 | Helios 44/m | 50mm 1.4 | Manfrotto 055CX PRO3 | 3LT Mohawk ballhead | Lubitel 2 med format camera |

darkamble
23 posts
Joined Dec 2014

Jan 29, 2015 18:23 as a reply to  @ urbanfreestyle's post |  #25

monkeys are photographers too you know

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

i think its a great selfie pity he lost out on the copyright though
http://www.mirror.co.u​k …cials-rule-nobody-4088663 (external link)

Gart
459 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 29, 2015 18:43 |  #26

What I look for, when viewing shots that others have taken, is whether or not any feeling or emotion has been imbedded into the photograph.

There are some who own a camera, determines that a particular situation/scene/person is visually appealing to them and they use the camera to "attempt" to capture that feeling or emotion. A certain number of that group convey this feeling/emotion, some get close and others snap off a shot.

The "photographers" don't have to explain what is in the scene - the viewer "gets" it. In the case of the one who snaps the shot - they become disappointed either that the results don't show anything close to the way they felt about it or are disappointed that the viewer doesn't see what the shooter saw.

I see it as snapshots or photographs. Think of going to Paris, snapping a shot of the Eiffel Tower at noon, full sun with hundreds of tourists in the shot. Or one that a photographer took at a certain time (morning, sunset, night-time) when the lighting was correct or the sky was threatening, etc.

Much of it is up to what is appealing to the viewer to determine photographer/picture snapper.

Gart

bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
1,650 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Jan 29, 2015 19:03 |  #27

darkamble wrote in post #17406207 (external link)
However there is one thing, which is that I see in color. Do you not? I hear dogs see in black and white are you a dog? When I look at this I see a totally unrealistic representation of reality as I see it. Why don't people understand that human beings see in color and black and white far from being artistic is just a depature from reality
extract from a comment critiquing Sally Mann http://theonlinephotog​rapher.typepad.com …the-internet-part-ii.html (external link)
and part one here
http://theonlinephotog​rapher.blogspot.co.uk …graphers-on-internet.html (external link)

very amusing use of critique of the great photographers i do wonder how communities would react if they popped up on photo sharing sites as unknowns today .

:p :p :p!!!

I'll need to keep that in mind before responding to any more C&C requests!

-- Mark | Gear | Flickr (external link) | Picasa (external link) | Youtube (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Image editing is okay

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,625 posts
Joined May 2009

Jan 29, 2015 19:41 |  #28

Good comments guys, I agree with most being said here. I just think that there is a difference between snapshots and photographs. Snapshots as implied are more documentary and meant to capture the moment you're living at the time.

Those don't nedessarily need to be artistic, but again, with some though about your shots beforehand, they can still be artistic. Even shooting at mid-day sun and with an iPhone.

The article wasn't meant to make a Us vs them type of argument, just meant to make you have a mindset about your shots. Try to visualize, or even plan your shots a bit rather than simply clicking away and hoping for the best.

Savethemoment
487 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2012

Jan 30, 2015 01:49 |  #29

It doesn't bother me in the least if other people describe themselves as photographers or not. Why should it? If their work is generally considered ordinary they'll probably have to move onto something else before long. Or as someone already said, they might improve and become successful photographers. Either way it's really none of my concern, I would rather focus on improving my own skills and results than on what others call themselves.

I personally don't refer to myself as a 'photographer' even though I spend lots of time on photography, because to me it would imply that this was my main income generating occupation, and I have never earned (nor sought to earn) a single dollar from my hobby. But not everyone sees things the same way, and if they feel comfortable with the term then it's not for me to decide they're wrong.

Always learning
Always looking for the good light

rxjohn
Goldmember
1,072 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Feb 01, 2015 00:07 |  #30

There are 2 types of photographers.

Artists who use photography to create art and the rest who take pictures.

I take pictures.

sponsored links

8,767 views & 4 likes for this thread
Photographer vs person that takes photos
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.