Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 29 Jan 2015 (Thursday) 19:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Who is/are your favorite photographer (s), and why?

jessiekins
68 posts
Joined Dec 2014

Jan 29, 2015 19:29 |  #1

I am interested in finding inspiration and I've been doing a lot of research... I really seem to like Mario Testino's work.
Who is YOUR favorite photographer, or are your favorite photographers, and why? Include links, pictures! :-D

Jessica Rose

sponsored links
Chief_10Beers
Didn't get his vaccinations . . .
487 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Jan 29, 2015 20:05 |  #2

For me, it would be Ansel Adams and more than a few on this forum...............

http://anseladams.org/ (external link)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
I am John Galt
TVC15
Gear List

Tedder
378 posts
Joined Jan 2009
Post edited over 4 years ago by Tedder. (3 edits in all)

Jan 29, 2015 20:35 |  #3

This evening, Bill Brandt and Ernst Haas. It'll probably change tomorrow.

Why? Because I enjoy looking at their images.

Tedder Stephenson's Flickr (external link)
Various Items (external link) Mineral Matters (external link) The Bench (external link) Tracks (external link) Cars and Stripes (external link) Behind the Wheel (external link) Shadows of Turning (external link) Circles of Confusion (external link) Waterous Disturbulations (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,994 posts
Gallery: 149 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 4 years ago by Tom Reichner.

Jan 29, 2015 21:59 |  #4

What a great idea for a thread!

It is really hard to pick just one as a favorite, but if I had to pick one above all of the others, it would probably be Ned Smith. Ironically, Ned was primarily known as a wildlife artist and as a naturalist. He was not even known as a photographer, although he spent thousands of hours afield photographing birds and mammals. He used his photos primarily as reference material for his writing and artwork.

About Ned Smith: http://www.nedsmithcen​ter.org/about-ned-smith/ (external link)

As a wildlife photographer, I find that I have a special appreciation for those who spend a ton of time afield, and Ned was well known for spending most of his time out in nature studying the critters that he painted. Those who spend countless hours in nature observing their subjects show that they have a great passion for the animals they photograph. I find that such a great enthusiasm for a subject typically translates to more compelling imagery, regardless of the medium used.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

mathogre
Goldmember
3,625 posts
Gallery: 108 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited over 4 years ago by mathogre. (2 edits in all)

Jan 29, 2015 22:19 |  #5

jessiekins wrote in post #17406331 (external link)
I am interested in finding inspiration and I've been doing a lot of research... I really seem to like Mario Testino's work.
Who is YOUR favorite photographer, or are your favorite photographers, and why? Include links, pictures! :-D

Hi Jessica!

Mario Testino is excellent! I love his work.

My favorites for inspiration are many, but top ones are these folks:

Joe McNally http://portfolio.joemc​nally.com/#!/index (external link)
Jay Maisel http://www.jaymaisel.c​om (external link)
Gregory Heisler http://www.gregoryheis​ler.com (external link)
Annie Leibovitz Vogue link http://www.vogue.com …ographer/annie-leibovitz/ (external link)
Lindsay Adler http://www.lindsayadle​rphotography.com/#!/in​dex (external link)

Joe is old time and new time. He's a generalist. He has shot for National Geographic over the years. He did photography a year or two ago hanging off the top of the Burj Khalifa. Check the YouTube video.

Jay Maisel is extraordinary, a master. He has a recent book, "Light Gesture Color". Go look at it. He shoots whatever looks interesting to him.

Gregory Heisler is primarily a portrait photographer. He has a video of how he shot the cover of Time for Person of the Year 2002, Rudy Giuliani.

Annie Leibovitz is probably the one whose work has moved me personally many times, almost never for the better at first. No matter, she's one of the best. You know Mario Testino, so I imagine you know Vogue. You probably also know Annie shoots a lot for Vogue.

Lindsay Adler is an up and coming fashion photographer. She takes the rules and breaks them. You're not supposed to shoot fashion at 12mm. She's done it.

There's my list. Enjoy!

Graham
Canon A BIG ONE A Small One An itty bitty one
My Zenfolio Collection (external link)

darkamble
23 posts
Joined Dec 2014

Jan 29, 2015 22:24 |  #6

i never have been much of a follower of famous photographers as i was influenced by local photographers on the club circuits back in the days of film

though sally mann and nick brandt spring to mind
http://sallymann.com …works/southern-landscapes (external link)
http://www.nickbrandt.​com/Text_page.cfm?pID=​2704 (external link)

KirkS518
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Feb 01, 2015 18:04 |  #7

Bill brandt
Salgado

If steroids are illegal for athletes, should PS be illegal for models?
Digital - 50D, 20D IR Conv, 9 Lenses from 8mm to 300mm
Analog - Mamiya RB67 Pro-SD, Canon A-1, Nikon F4S, YashicaMat 124G, Rollei 35S, QL17 GIII, Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex 1st Version, and and entire room full of lenses and other stuff

Trvlr323
Goldmember
3,290 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 01, 2015 18:29 |  #8

I just can't narrow it down to one...

Robert Doisneau
Steve McCurry
Rene Maltete
Alex Webb
William Albert Allard

Sometimes not taking a photograph can be as problematic as taking one. - Alex Webb

johnvanr
51 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 01, 2015 18:57 |  #9

Jeanloup Sieff. Helmut Newton. Jay Maisel.

Vaun808
30 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Feb 04, 2015 02:10 |  #10

Definitely gonna have to go with Ben Thouard! He takes amazing photos in the water if you're interested in surf, along with the occasional underwater model. He lives in Tahiti and owns a motorized glider, so he has many great aerial photographs as well.

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,335 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Feb 04, 2015 09:32 |  #11

Adams for the zone system and his idea of what Yosemite was to him.

Weston for his vision. His peppers looked like his shells that looked like his clouds that looked like his nudes that looked like his peppers.

Robert Frank for The Americans.

Dorothea Lange for the compassion in her photographs.

Bresson for the moment.

Ralph Gibson for the negative space.

Erwitt for his humor.

Sally Mann for a look inside her life and family.

Walker Evans for his look at America.

Bruce Davidson for East 100th Street

Francesca Woodman for sharing her pain.

Joel Peter-Witkin for showing us his nightmares.

Winogrand for showing us life on the streets.

Boogie for giving us a glimpse into the madness of gangs and drugs.

DeCarava for his look into Harlem.

These are all some of my favorite photographers and this list could go on...
My advice to those that don't know who they are look them all up and check out their work.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,994 posts
Gallery: 149 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 04, 2015 11:51 as a reply to  @ airfrogusmc's post |  #12

Allen,
I am surprised not to see Harold Feinstein on your list. What are your thoughts on his work?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,335 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007
Post edited over 4 years ago by airfrogusmc.

Feb 04, 2015 11:54 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #13

This list had stop somewhere bro. Like his work though.

Should have added my favorite portrait photographer Arnold Newman to the list above..

So Newman for his real portraits and the clues he includes in the frame as to who is subjects really are.

dsuitor
40 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 04, 2015 15:14 |  #14

I am a fan of Clyde Butcher for his images and work ethic. I stumbled into his Big Cypress Gallery last year and was impressed; especially when I saw the attached photo:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

1d4, 7d, 5d2, 50d, and a growing list of L lens and lighting

RMH
Goldmember
1,000 posts
Joined Jan 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by RMH.

Feb 06, 2015 15:44 |  #15

Me :-P

All the stuff I've owned at one time or another

sponsored links

7,358 views & 10 likes for this thread
Who is/are your favorite photographer (s), and why?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.