Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
Thread started 04 Jan 2015 (Sunday) 17:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Stay with 7D or upgrade

5DmkX
457 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2012

Jan 04, 2015 17:48 |  #1

I have been contemplating upgrading my 7D to the 7D mk II but after reading mixed reviews. I'm not 100% sure it's not worth the expense. I'm just curious what others have experienced? I have no doubt the IQ will be better, I'm more curious how it fairs in low light. Thank you.

Tom

5DMkIV, 7DMkII, Canon 85mm f/1.4 IS, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L II IS, Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 II, Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 OS
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
8612images
737 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 04, 2015 19:38 |  #2

I'll have better info after tomorrow night but my initial thought is yes it is better, but maybe not by enough to justify the extra $. Shooting night soccer.

Steve

jhayesvw
Cream of the Crop
7,230 posts
Gallery: 167 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 04, 2015 20:06 |  #3

The 7d1 has focus inconsistencies. Likely no worse than the 7d2.

Everything else ( but price) is better with the 7d2.
IF you can afford it, get it.

My Flickr (external link)

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 05, 2015 06:38 |  #4

Jhayesvw, what focus 'inconsistencies' are you referring to? Because I've found the auto focus system on my 7Ds to be very capable and reliable.

I've gone over lots of test shot examples, and the 7D2 is a very nice camera, but I'm not rushing out to buy one yet. Instead I bought another 7D for cheap and will reconsider prices in a few years. Nothing in the test shots screamed "This will be a real major improvement over what I can do with my current rig." but the 7D2 is on the list of gear upgrades in a few years.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

jhayesvw
Cream of the Crop
7,230 posts
Gallery: 167 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 05, 2015 20:55 |  #5

It's a well known issue that the 7d has great AF and then will miss shots for no real reason. Shots it should have gotten.

I've had it happen multiple times. It's not user error. It just misses sometimes.

Not a huge deal to me but still an issue for some.

I think lens rentals used to have a camera body comparison page and the 7d ranked low on their AF scale.

My Flickr (external link)

mikehit
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Jan 16, 2015 07:32 |  #6

I am in the same predicament.
jayhayesvw - I agree regards the reports of missing alternate shots and I have spotted similar issues. The 7D reportedly has the same AF system as the 1DIV and yet as an AF system does not quite prove as reliable. Reading many posts about this from different people with a range of experience and technical knowledge my take on it is that it is one thing to have the AF system, quite another for the camera to be able to drive the AF mechanism in the lens and this may be where it falls down.
The 7D2 has the same AF as the 1Dx but I am not expecting the same nail-and-keep-it-there performance as the 1Dx for the same reasons - but the iTR sounds a significatn step up for fast-moving or erratic subjects.

The AF is better but that is not the main reason it appeals to me: the parts I like are the better ISO performance and the fact it will AF up to f8 which enables me to put the 1.4tc on my 100-400 (the 7D will focus with the tc on but it is a bit sluggish). And that ability fo AF with f8 lenses seems to be related to what I understand is better AF at lower light levels.
I would normally plan for an upgrade in glass instead but telephoto wise that means a 400mm or 500mm f4 which is way more than the 7D2!

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,205 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 6 years ago by TeamSpeed. (2 edits in all)

Jan 16, 2015 07:38 |  #7

The 7D has the same AI Servo II algorithms as the 1D4, it doesn't have the same AF system, the hardware is quite a bit different. As to the upgrade, I feel that many can benefit from learning how to really shoot the 7D to make the most of the raw content, then with some minor tweaks to processing the images, they can get an extra stop out of the camera, alleviating the need to upgrade.

Not sure if this has been read, but this thread has many members pointing out tips: https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=17309808

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Aznattic
34 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 24, 2015 17:49 |  #8

I would upgrade. I had the 7D for 4 years and just upgraded to the 7d II.

right off the bat, the first thing you notice is the iso noise performance, it's night and day. 1600 was too noisy for me on my 7d but now i can shoot at 3200 and still get less noise on my 7d II.

The focus system is noticeably better as well. I had all sorts of focus issues with my Sigma 85mm 1.4 on the original 7D but as of now i have yet to experience one. Shots are no longer a hit or miss!

If noise is the biggest concern, you may just want to go FF. My buddies 6D still trumps my 7D mark II all day

7D II - Canon 24-70 II F2.8 - Sigma 85 1.4 - Sigma 30mm 1.4 - Canon 18-135 STM

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 30, 2015 04:39 |  #9

8612images wrote in post #17366361 (external link)
I'll have better info after tomorrow night but my initial thought is yes it is better, but maybe not by enough to justify the extra $. Shooting night soccer.

yes, especially when the OP already has a 5D3 - just use that for night sports

Vaun808
30 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Feb 04, 2015 01:30 |  #10

Yeah my experience with the focus is that it's pretty accurate, but will definitely miss sometimes for no reason

On ­ the ­ loose
21 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Feb 08, 2015 19:10 |  #11

Make sure you make focus a priority (part of the settings menu)
It is possible to set the shooting speed as prioriity - in which case the shutter will fire sometimes before the lens has had time to focus, and you will get out of focus images. It can slow up shooting a little, but are out of focus shots any use?

kenwood33
Goldmember
2,616 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Feb 08, 2015 19:19 |  #12

Depends on what you use it for. If you do alot of video, I say it is worth the upgrade. Otherwise I will just stick with the 7d.

Gearlist

sponsored links

3,743 views & 0 likes for this thread
Stay with 7D or upgrade
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.