Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 27 Jan 2015 (Tuesday) 22:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Does your significant other enjoy photography?

freestylee30
796 posts
Gallery: 164 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 29, 2015 08:32 as a reply to  @ post 17405449 |  #16

No, not really. She takes plenty of pictures and video with her iphone, but has no desire to learn my camera. She likes me spending time on portraits and candids of the kids, but doesn't really get my passion for landscape or abstract stuff, or really even the editing/tinkering side of it.

The situation is kind of ok with me, because if there was another one of us with this hobby... it would be even more expensive than it already is! ;-)a :-P

Brandon | zenfolio (external link)| ♥ feedback ♥
Eternal Blue Forever Green
Image Editing OK

CANON 5DIV 50 f/1.8 85 f/1.8 135 f/2L 70-200 f/2.8L IS II
ROKINON 14 f/2.8 | TAMRON 15-30 f/2.8 VC 24-70 f/2.8 VC | SIGMA 35 f/1.4 Art |

sponsored links
sirquack
Goldmember
2,598 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2013

Jan 29, 2015 09:24 |  #17

I wish my wife shared my passion for photography. She is even less interested in being the subject of my interest. She actually likes to take photos with her cell phone, and actually has a better eye for composition.
She is also not very happy with the cost of the gear that I like. We have many shared interests outside of photography though, which takes time away from taking photos.

Name is Ron.
Bodies - 6D/5D3/7D2-Gripped
Lenses - Canon 17-40 F4/24-70 F2.8 II/85 F1.8/Canon 70-200 F2.8 II/F4/Sigma 30 DC/Tamron 150-600
Website (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Owain ­ Shaw
Some of my best friends are people.
2,551 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 29, 2015 10:45 |  #18

My girlfriend actually owns a DSLR but rarely uses it, especially now we're together ... I became the photographer of trips, etc. She still snaps some stuff on her phone and likes to edit those on phone apps, so she does have some interest in photography but not very extensive.

She's a big fan of my work, which is nice - probably a bigger fan than I am. Although she doesn't like it when Photography starts to take-over from being with her when we're together somewhere.

| New website. (external link) |
| Gear | Flickr (external link) |

Savethemoment
488 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2012

Jan 29, 2015 15:01 |  #19

I don't have a significant other, but if I did I'd love it to be someone who was keen on photography. Especially if he had a great collection of fast primes I could borrow :lol:

Always learning
Always looking for the good light

Sailor ­ Larry
192 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Joined Nov 2014

Jan 29, 2015 21:44 |  #20

When we got married 33 years ago I was an aspiring amateur photographer. I was also doing technical and surveillance photo work for the Navy. about 25 years ago the wife started getting into the artsy side of photography and we started working together and ended up with a fairly capable B&W darkroom setup. My background had been more of the technical side and I never really could get her to accept the idea of "take a technically correct" photo and go for the edgy artsy stuff but we had a bunch of fun with it even though she has never gotten into the technical and theory side of it, she's perfectly capable of it but just won't delve into that pool. Somewhere after we bought our current house 20 years ago the darkroom got packed away in the move and then my Canon AE1 died and I was busy keeping a roof over our head and keeping the kids fed and in braces and associated stuff so things got put on the back burner.

The Wife got into the digital side of things with her art degree and working in the graphic arts/design field and she went through a series of digital cameras. A few years ago we got her a Nikon D90 (I had hopes of using it quite a bit myself). She'd get a little touchy if I wanted to borrow her camera, in part I think because I generally got better results then her, so I just left it alone for a few years. After years of being mostly disappointed with the results I was getting with point and shoots I decided I was going to get a "good" camera for myself. Spent a couple of months researching the gear in my price range and ended up with a Canon 70D. I have to remind the wife that her camera is a 90 and mine is only a 70 or she starts to get touchy again;-)a.
We've started getting out on photo taking trips again and we're having fun with it again.

DGStinner
Goldmember
1,042 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Jan 2014

Jan 30, 2015 20:05 |  #21

My wife isn't into photography but she supports my hobby. Her only complaint is that I take photos of everything except the two of us.

ejenner
Goldmember
3,867 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 30, 2015 21:08 |  #22

Fortunately no. Photography for me in definitely a 1-person activity.

She likes my photos, likes to have ones of the kids and family events and like to have my landscapes on the walls.

She doesn't use a cell phone camera, but I have gotten her to use an S90 in P-mode so I can process the raws which she does use occasionally.

I pretty much get to spend what I want - but a lens at $3k or more isn't going to happen.

Edward Jenner
5DIV, M6, GX1 II, Sig15mm FE, 16-35 F4,TS-E 17, TS-E 24, 35 f2 IS, M11-22, M18-150 ,24-105, T45 1.8VC, 70-200 f4 IS, 70-200 2.8 vII, Sig 85 1.4, 100L, 135L, 400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

mark48
922 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jan 31, 2015 15:52 |  #23

My wife has no interest in photography. I've tried to change that but to no avail. It would be nice to get some feedback or encouragement. When I head out to take pictures I leave her at home so she won't be squirming around in the truck looking at her watch. I know a few couples who go shooting together and envy them.
-mark

DigiBill
270 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2010

Feb 01, 2015 06:32 |  #24

Mark.....

Find something your wife enjoys and then work your photography around it. For example, if she enjoys a ride in the country and a nice lunch out, then do that and take some photos along the way. The hobby of photography is something a husband and wife CAN enjoy together....you just need to be creative and work at it. Certainly others here on the forum can give you some suggestions & ideas.

Please feel free to visit our RV Website
http://rv.billdiana.co​mexternal link

Nortonski
603 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Feb 01, 2015 07:23 |  #25

My wife has absolutely no interest beyond that of her iPhone...she does however like (some) of my shots & my 12 year old daughter is now hooked ߘ

Vaun808
30 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Feb 04, 2015 02:08 |  #26

Yes! It's great watching her photography grow over time

sponsored links

5,299 views & 5 likes for this thread
Does your significant other enjoy photography?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.