Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Cameras 
Thread started 31 Jan 2015 (Saturday) 16:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Debating buying a D7100... Upgrading the d3000.

Jackehboy
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Jan 31, 2015 16:27 |  #1

Hello all!
I have been shooting off and on for a little over two years. I own a D3000 that was a gift to me for Christmas a few years ago with a few lenses.
10-20mm UWA Sigma
55-200 from nikon
50mm 1.8g nikon
85mm 3.5 (Wish I didnt get talked into this one and bought a 1.8)
15-55mm kit lens.

I have shot a few friends weddings (Younger friends, no money for a big photographer so they just wanted the best they could afford and didnt really care about HOW good they were.) Of course I tried my best! Ha! Iv done a few senior pictures too, then all around just randomly shooting whatever seems good at the time!

As you know Tax season is approaching and I havent really ever bought myself anything with it. (I doubt i get the full amount I want back but anyways ) I am playing with the idea of buying a friends D7100 off of him. It has been taken care of perfectly as he is a die hard photographer, he just wants to go back to Cannon BOO! :p
Anyways, the deal would be the following: $900
Nikon D7100 - Body, Battery, Grip ($50 dollar grip) All the paper work, warrenty, lens cleaning kits. 35mm 1.8g lens (like new), charging cords and parts for all the above obv. I would get the original boxes as well for all. He is also willing to throw in a nikon lens carry bag ( not sure how big or the value)

Now here is a few questions.
1. I am shooting a friends wedding for $300 in march, which knocks the price down to 600 out of my pocket. I potentially have another wedding or call it a photoshoot as its just a ceremony they want pictures of! I am not sure how much that would be bringing in... I can also POSSIBLY sell my D3000 camera body. I have a few friends interested in photography, but giving up one of my lenses would be hard and i have no clue what I would tell them price wise. Plus like I had said earlier, tax season so hopefully I will get some money back soon!

2. I am still a bit of a noob when it comes to photography. I am SLOWLY getting away from presets and started to mess with Aperture mode, but still have tons to work on. So I am not sure if the D7100 is a good decision since im still learning everything still?

3. Its an obvious upgrade, that will pay for itself eventually. But I am just not sure if its a good deal on my part or if I am ready to take that step or should be upgrading! Plus I am in the awkward growing up phase where I need to seriously look at buying a house, but I want a mustang, but I want toys.... Usually I put away all of my check from my full time job... So rarely ever do I buy myself anything.

4. Would you keep the D3000 if I was to buy the D7100? Maybe as aback up for a wedding in the future? Or so I can swap between lenses for a shot I need quick durning a photoshoot?

Thank you for your time if you took the time to read my huge wall of text and I look forward to a few replys I hope! :) Please feel free to give me as much information as possible!

Jon_Doh
869 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 04, 2015 09:11 |  #2

BH Photo has a brand new D7100 body for $996, so $900 used sounds a little high to me. The extra stuff you mentioned don't have a lot of value and aren't great quality. You can also pick up a gray market one off getitdigital on eBay for a lot less. If it were me I would go for the new one given how close the price is. As for your other camera I would keep it as a backup if you're going to be shooting weddings. An extra camera is a must for shooting weddings.

I use a Kodak Brownie

Qlayer2
OOOHHH! Pretty Moth!
941 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Feb 04, 2015 10:50 |  #3

You can also get the D7100 refurbished from adorama or B&H for $699 right now, and the 35 1.8 is new $200, used $150 or so.

Price is a little high for that deal. Grab a refurbed one. Keep the D3000 for backup- for what you will get selling it, it is worth the piece of mind knowing you aren't ruining someone's wedding day if your camera fails.

sonofjesse
687 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 06, 2015 20:36 |  #4

I would wait the D7100 price will go down soon since the D7200 is coming.

Learn everything about your camera and what limits your style of shooting? Once you can answer that pick an worthy upgrade that can help that.

Keep the sigma UWA and nikon 50G, maybe sell the others look at a used 17-55 and 70-300?

FeedBack
Feedback 2
Feedback 3
Feedback 4
Feedback 5

Pagman
I just hold the thing :-)
8,504 posts
Gallery: 1806 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 06, 2015 21:12 |  #5

sonofjesse wrote in post #17419399 (external link)
I would wait the D7100 price will go down soon since the D7200 is coming.

Learn everything about your camera and what limits your style of shooting? Once you can answer that pick an worthy upgrade that can help that.

Keep the sigma UWA and nikon 50G, maybe sell the others look at a used 17-55 and 70-300?

The D7200 is apparently more of a video hike than anything else, i honestly think the D7100 is an amazing camera, you have to be more honed and skillful with long lens technique though as out of focused pictures can occur sometimes, and this could be put down to a fault in the camera - but it isn't.
I would certainly suggest a good 70-300Vr as they are probably the best zoom upto 300mm of any make.

P.

Some stuff.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,471 views & 0 likes for this thread
Debating buying a D7100... Upgrading the d3000.
FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.