Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 02 Feb 2015 (Monday) 14:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First modelshoot in abandoned castle : lightning & lens choice?

CanonYouCan
Goldmember
1,480 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2010
Post edited over 4 years ago by CanonYouCan. (6 edits in all)

Feb 02, 2015 14:01 |  #1

There is no electricity but the natural light is reasonable (if the weather/light is fine), still I want a good lit face so will use flash.
I don't want to make it too complex as I want to concentrate on the shoot and not the material.
I think I will use only flash (with 2, one as a hairylight I need to move 2 tripods constantly through the castle, stairs,.... and I need to check if it's not in the image).

I can choose between my Jongnuo 600EX-RT in combination with :
-32inch softbox umbrella silver (with diffusor cloth) and shoot backward
-33inch white shoot through umbrella
-60Inch white shoot through umbrella
-15Inch beautydish
-on camera flash with the rogue flashbender

Which lightning setup would you choose ?

As lenses I definitely will use 16-35 f4 (to have both the model in relation with the castle in the picture).
Which prime(s) would I take with me not to be loaded too much, Sigma 35 Art - Sigma 50 Art - Canon 85 1.2L ?
The 70-200 2.8LII would probably be a bit exagerated in the rooms, don't you think? :-D

Sony A7 III | Metabones V | Canon 17-40 F4 L | 24-70 2.8 L | 70-200 2.8L II
Sigma 50 1.4 Art | Sigma 85 1.4 Art

Lighting : Godox AD600B TTL + Godox V860II-S + X1T-S
Modifiers: 60cm Collapsible Silver Beautydish + grid | Godox 120cm Octagon softbox + grid
Tripod: Vanguard Alta 253CT carbon

sponsored links
nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited over 4 years ago by nathancarter.

Feb 02, 2015 14:17 |  #2

I would prefer the reflective umbrella softbox.

Compared to the shoot-through umbrella, the reflective umbrella has less of a center hotspot, and less uncontrolled spill. I have 42" reflective umbrella softboxes, the 32" should give about the same look. With some effort, you can light a full body with it.

Maybe take the flashbender too, and do a little experimenting with bare flash off-camera, using the flashbender as a snoot or flag to keep unwanted flash out of the environment.

I personally like the 70-200 so I can get a face portrait and a full-body shot without having to move feet or switch lenses. But, maybe the 85mm would be a good choice here.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,475 posts
Joined Dec 2002
Post edited over 4 years ago by SkipD.

Feb 02, 2015 14:25 |  #3

I have a big problem with shoot-through umbrellas. That is the fact that a lot of the light bounces back away from the subject and then that light bounces off the surrounding surfaces (walls, objects, etc.) and in addition to being light coming from uncontrolled directions, it may have its color changed.

If I'm using an umbrella, it will almost always be a satin white umbrella with an opaque black cover behind it and the rig would be using the light reflected off the interior of the umbrella.

If I want more area and/or "softer" light, I'll use one of my softboxes.

One thing I don't care for when doing portraits is a catchlight that has a multi-sided circular shape with ribs in it. If one doesn't paint the catchlight image in post processing, that type of catchlight is going to be there when using umbrellas. That's another reason that I use softboxes most of the time for portraits.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

CanonYouCan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,480 posts
Joined Oct 2010
Post edited over 4 years ago by CanonYouCan. (2 edits in all)

Feb 02, 2015 17:29 |  #4

I forgot to mention, the big 60" white shootthrough umbrella has a black cover to make it also a bounce back umbrella (white inside), but I don't have a diffusor cloth for this.
http://www.kamera-express.be …rg-ke_be&JumpTo=OfferList (external link)

Would this be better than the 32inch softbox umbrella silver with diffusor cloth?
I read somewhere that bigger softboxes/umbrella's would be better.

Modifiers: 60cm Collapsible Silver Beautydish + grid | Godox 120cm Octagon softbox + grid

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited over 4 years ago by nathancarter. (2 edits in all)

Feb 02, 2015 20:26 |  #5

CanonYouCan wrote in post #17412371 (external link)
I read somewhere that bigger softboxes/umbrella's would be better.

Not true. They're different, for sure, but not necessarily better. There's a time and a place for all kinds of different light modifiers.

The size of the light source, relative to the size of the subject, will determine the hardness of shadow edges. Sometimes you want hard edges, sometimes you want soft edges, sometimes you want no edges.

If the light source is very large, relative to the size of the subject, the shadow edges can become so soft that there effectively aren't any shadows at all - the light becomes flat, and you lose interesting depth/shape.

Placing the light far away from the subject will make the relative size of the light smaller. For example, the sun is really big (well, bigger than any of the modifiers I own, anyway) but it's also very far away, so its relative size is very small. The sun makes hard, crisp-edged shadows.

I use a small, hard light source pretty often - even for portraiture. What kind of look are you going for?

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

CanonYouCan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,480 posts
Joined Oct 2010
Post edited over 4 years ago by CanonYouCan. (3 edits in all)

Feb 04, 2015 14:48 |  #6

More a glamour look but with a lot of half and some full body shots.
I also have a 40cm (15") beautydish but that's just for the face, I think i'll replace this one with a 70cm portable beautydish as I plan more locationshoots.
Would a 70cm beautydish be usuable for half/full bodyshots?

photoperson
55 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 05, 2015 11:45 |  #7

You're asking a lot of questions about particular light modifiers, etc, but really you should set up some lights at home or in your yard and test with any person, or even a doll, to see what effects you get and have some idea of what you need before you go on location.

A 70cm beauty dish can be used for full body, remember that it gets a sharper shadow quality as you get it further away from the subject. Again, test it before you go on location, you'll see the effect.

sponsored links

2,008 views & 0 likes for this thread
First modelshoot in abandoned castle : lightning & lens choice?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.