Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 Feb 2015 (Thursday) 07:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

OFFICIAL : 5DS and 5DS R Announced

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
THREAD ­ STARTER
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,557 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by Left Handed Brisket. (3 edits in all)

Feb 05, 2015 10:54 |  #16

Pearlallica wrote in post #17416586 (external link)
I understand that we live in a culture where we constantly exposed to exciting leaps in technological achievements, but shouldn't we be a little more pumped up at the fact that the 5D is now going to be outfitted with a FIFTY megapixel sensor!?!? I know the rumour mill has hinted at this for several months if not years, but wow - it's happened! The transition from the mark 2 to the mark 3 gave us one, measly megapixel jump. This time Canon has blasted ahead and not just skipped the 30's, the 40's even, and went straight to FIFTY. My first camera was 3.34 megapixels way back in 2001. I'd just like to officially say that I'm impressed!

However, after having said all of that, in the real world, I'd hate to have to work with 50 megapixel files on a regular basis. I have a fairly fast raid setup for my work files and 22mp images are rather slow. And let's face it, the average Joe is not regularly shooting for billboards. And I've yet to have a client actually want a 40"x60" canvas print.

Can someone tell me a low pass filter and why it is so significant to warrant a completely separate camera without a low pass filter?

I wouldn't be surprised if these latest models are not much better than the current 5D with DR and ISO. There is talk about better color rendition. I think this thing is going to be an in studio beast. The 5D IV will have a more reasonable sized sensor and will likely include more gains in DR and ISO than these models. It will be more of a general purpose camera and is expected later this year.

low pass has to do with moire. as resolution increase, the need for low pass decreases.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

sponsored links
Pearlallica
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 05, 2015 10:59 as a reply to  @ post 17416575 |  #17

I'm with you. Better dynamic range and high ISO performance produce better pictures, not an increase in megapixels. If I'm absolutely desperate for more pixels I run my files through onOne Perfect Resize and at the end of the day deliver results that make everyone happy. If I'm shooting for a major ad campaign (in my dreams) yeah I'm snapping up 50MP images. Mind you if I'm getting those kinds of jobs I'm already on Hasselblad. For lower paid jobs like headshot or weddings I'm using Raw2 just for the sake of faster workflow.

I'd be interested in breaking down the real stats to find out the percentage of pixels used of all of the 22MP I've shot over the years. If clients ended up printing at 5x7 40% of the time, 4x6 30% of the time, 8x10 10% of the time, etc., it would really speak for my level of clientele just how beneficial these big megapixel files truly are.

jonathan @ tlcphoto.com (external link) - pro wedding and portrait photog
5d2 5d3 50L 16-35 70-200 ElinchromRX600 580EX 600EX VIV285

DGStinner
Goldmember
1,032 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Jan 2014

Feb 05, 2015 11:14 |  #18

Can someone tell me a low pass filter and why it is so significant to warrant a completely separate camera without a low pass filter?

https://photographylif​e.com/what-is-low-pass-filter (external link)

Dave Stinner
Gripped 7DII | 6DII
EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM | EF 24-105mm f/4L | EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM | EF 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM | Rokinon 8mm | Sigma 150-600
Instagram (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
THREAD ­ STARTER
9,557 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Feb 05, 2015 11:36 |  #19

Pearlallica wrote in post #17416605 (external link)
Better dynamic range and high ISO performance produce better pictures, not an increase in megapixels. .

that's not what i'm saying. Better dynamic range and high ISO performance are all but meaningless to a competent studio photographer. Relatively speaking I'm just barely competent, :-P but i can't recall an image where i said to myself, "damn, if i just had two more stops of DR!" My commercial clients want resolution and color fidelity, and the shots i take in studio have never called for more DR or high ISO performance. I also can't remember the last time i have shot over ISO 200 in studio. On the flip side, one of my most regular jobs i can just barely squeak out enough pixels to meet their needs. Not having to fill the entire frame for that job would make it a much more profitable venture and would also yield a better quality image by keeping the product away from the corners of the frame.

i fully expect these two cameras to cause lots of stress and anxiety with many POTN Canon faithful. I've been around long enough to notice that commercial studio photographers are not the ones that keep this place moving. They are however the target market for this camera. People tend to have a self centric view of the world, and in this case, marketplace. The reality is that Canon's target market is very diverse, and despite the huge hobbyist market, just think how many commercial guys are out there with tens of thousands of dollars worth of camera's and lenses. Dropping 3500 bucks on a 50MP SLR that will maintain their current lens investment is a drop in the bucket.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,986 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 05, 2015 11:48 |  #20

The first digital camera I used had a resolution of 786 kilopixels.

Anders

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
THREAD ­ STARTER
9,557 posts
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by Left Handed Brisket. (2 edits in all)

Feb 05, 2015 11:52 as a reply to  @ apersson850's post |  #21

i found a flash cord for my Nikon Coolpix 990 (my first digital) the other day and hooked it up to my trusty SB-28 to take some whopping 3.3MP pics of the boys. The sight of me with a camera in one hand and tethered flash in the other was a real WTF moment for them. I was able to sync at 1/1000 after a 1/2 second shutter lag.

BTW, i produced 8 catalogs a year for a couple of years with that camera. The images were the best we'd ever had.

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,747 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 05, 2015 11:53 |  #22

I understand that we live in a culture where we constantly exposed to exciting leaps in technological achievements, but shouldn't we be a little more pumped up at the fact that the 5D is now going to be outfitted with a FIFTY megapixel sensor!?!? I know the rumour mill has hinted at this for several months if not years, but wow - it's happened! The transition from the mark 2 to the mark 3 gave us one, measly megapixel jump. This time Canon has blasted ahead and not just skipped the 30's, the 40's even, and went straight to FIFTY. My first camera was 3.34 megapixels way back in 2001. I'd just like to officially say that I'm impressed!

However, after having said all of that, in the real world, I'd hate to have to work with 50 megapixel files on a regular basis. I have a fairly fast raid setup for my work files and 22mp images are rather slow. And let's face it, the average Joe is not regularly shooting for billboards. And I've yet to have a client actually want a 40"x60" canvas print.

50mp is a lot if you're currently dealing with 20mp, but it's not a huge amount if you're already dealing with 36mp without AA filter. I've tested uprez'd shots, and 50mp will be a small, but noticeable difference in IQ compared to 36. It's quite a jump compared to 20mp, assuming you're working with top optics.

I mean at this point, you can pick up a second hand A7r 36mp landscape camera for ~1300, jumping to the price of $4000 will give you a subtle gain. Is that little gain worth it? probably for most, not really, but hell, I still want it.

the 11-24 would be a dream lens for me, however it seems like a behemoth. 1100g..... wow, I guess I'll just have to setting for the clostrophobic 14mm  :p

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - CV 21/3.5 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,271 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 05, 2015 12:17 |  #23

11-24mm on a 5DS would be a fantastic combination. The price of the 11-24 looks at once scary yet promising. At that price the performance should be exceptional. It is striking that the announcement of the 50MP 5DS is being paired with the 11-24mm, which suggests that the 11-24mm may have been designed to perform well on that high resolution sensor. Even more so than the 16-35 f/4L IS, the 11-24mm may be the Nikon 14-24mm killer Canon users have been longing for.

Knowing full well how much the field of view changes for each mm at this wide, the 11-24mm range actually is an impressively large zoom range.

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, CV 40mm, FE 50mm ZA, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

mantra
Goldmember
1,617 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Feb 05, 2015 12:25 |  #24

hi
do you think will be a sony sensor or will canon use sony sensor in the eos cameras?
thanks

canon 5d markII,24L & 24ts , 35L ,17-40L,24-70L,70-200 2.8ISL,50 1.4,85 1.4 , canon eos 3 ,eos 5 ,t90 , ae program and some very sweet fd lenses
3 analogic Hasselblad and 2 anologic Mamiya

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
THREAD ­ STARTER
9,557 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Feb 05, 2015 12:32 |  #25

just a hunch, but i don't think Sony would want to sell Canon sensors, and i seriously doubt they would let Canon debut a 50MP sensor.

Sony want's to make cameras and giving away all their tech puts them at a disadvantage.

Balb0wa
79 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2006

Feb 05, 2015 13:37 |  #26

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #17416762 (external link)
just a hunch, but i don't think Sony would want to sell Canon sensors, and i seriously doubt they would let Canon debut a 50MP sensor.

Sony want's to make cameras and giving away all their tech puts them at a disadvantage.

They sell sensors to nikon, why not canon? they are a business, its about selling stuff.

Its like samsung selling parts to apple for the iphones, lot of money in parts.

Canon 5DIV - 16-35L F4 - 100-400MK2
Fuji X-T1 - XF35mm F1.4 R - XF10-24mm F4 R OIS

JohnB57
Goldmember
1,507 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 05, 2015 13:42 |  #27

Announcement will be tomorrow at 6am London time, 12am EST. I will live blog the event so stay tuned on CW tomorrow in order to not miss anything.

It may be a clue or it may just be a typo, but London is 5 hours ahead of EST, not 6.

El ­ Pedro
708 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Feb 05, 2015 15:19 |  #28

A local store here in Brisbane has posted a cryptic message on their Facebook page alluding the the fact the have this new gear in store for a demo today (it's Friday morning here already)

These new gears might be hitting the shelves very soon.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
THREAD ­ STARTER
9,557 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Feb 05, 2015 15:38 |  #29

Balb0wa wrote in post #17416851 (external link)
They sell sensors to nikon, why not canon? they are a business, its about selling stuff.

Its like samsung selling parts to apple for the iphones, lot of money in parts.

Difference being that those are commodity parts being sold between Samsung and Apple. Nothing special except the volume that can be produced. In this case we are talking about a very specialized part that is, according to many, the single biggest difference in competing products sold by both brands.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but unlikely.

The latest I read was that Sony is manufacturing to canon's spec. That makes much more sence. I still contend that there is no way Sony would let Canon debut its flagship tech.

I haven't done the math but someone said that the 7DII sensor scaled up would be about 50MP with the same sensel density

whiteflyer
Goldmember
1,683 posts
Gallery: 201 photos
Joined Jun 2006

Feb 05, 2015 17:55 as a reply to  @ Left Handed Brisket's post |  #30

After making loses of £4.6bn in nine year, I bet Sony will sell to anyone who is willing to buy.

Whiteflyer Photography (external link) | Gear List

sponsored links

299,373 views & 241 likes for this thread
OFFICIAL : 5DS and 5DS R Announced
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.