Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 04 Feb 2015 (Wednesday) 19:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Digitizing slides at home or not

itsallart
Cream of the Crop
9,303 posts
Gallery: 876 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jan 2015

Feb 04, 2015 19:11 |  #1

Hey there, I have thousands of slides from my analog camera and have used a scanner before...Dimage...I believe. Now the scanner is so obsolete and it will work with Windows XP only which I no longer have. After googling the subject for a while, I realized that there are ways of converting old slides (35mm) at home. Any suggestions on a DIY simple kit for shooting with my FF camera. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I definitely don't want to spend any money on scanners :)

Renata
Seeing lights and shadows is an art :)
Renata Sharman (external link)Tanami Muse (external link)
500px (external link)
Etsy Store (external link)

sponsored links
birderman
Goldmember
1,039 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 05, 2015 07:39 |  #2

I have had reasonable success with a flatbed scanner - Canon Canoscan 9000F MK II All-in-One Scanner
I did buy one of those cheapish standalone scanners - but disappointed as the working screen is too small and the illumination is uneven. The Canon flatbed is quite fast to use and scans several slides at a time.

I believe there are some other options available but at a premium cost when compared to the Flatbed options. I expect the main issue that gives the deciding factor will be what you want to do with the scanned images - for printing you may be limited to size depending on the resolution of the scanner used.

TTH

Birderman
London, UK
my photos on Flickr (external link)
My Website (external link) or my Facebook - KishWphotos (external link)

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,279 posts
Gallery: 469 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jan 2013
Post edited over 4 years ago by Reservoir Dog. (2 edits in all)

Feb 05, 2015 07:48 |  #3

How to Scan Film With a DSLR
He joke a lot but the method is really working well ;)

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

nqjudo
Goldmember
3,208 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 05, 2015 08:40 |  #4

I had a ton of old prints, 35mm and 120 negatives to scan and went with the same scanner as birderman with very good results. When I was finished with it I sold it on a local classified site for about 40$ less than I paid for it which turned out to be an excellent value for the results it produced and the amount of scans I did.

When deciding on a method of scanning it is important to consider what you plan to do with the scans. From slides a consumer scanner will provide good enough resolution for smaller prints or web display but if you are planning on large prints you'll likely have to look at a commercial option unless you want to shell out big money for a drum scanner.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

PhotosGuy
75,846 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Feb 05, 2015 08:52 |  #5

Scanning 35mm slides includes links.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

itsallart
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,303 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Feb 05, 2015 09:33 as a reply to  @ Reservoir Dog's post |  #6

haha, thanks...I was thinking along these lines too. A duplicator attachment that fits a 52mm lens will probably do a better job.

Renata
500px (external link)

itsallart
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,303 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Feb 05, 2015 09:34 as a reply to  @ nqjudo's post |  #7

Thanks. I have a nice scanner Dimage by Konica Minolta, but can't run it, no windows xp. Can't sell it because it's now worth maybe 5 bucks

Renata
500px (external link)

itsallart
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,303 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Feb 05, 2015 09:35 as a reply to  @ PhotosGuy's post |  #8

thank you very much. I've read it all, great ideas.

Renata
500px (external link)

AZGeorge
Goldmember
2,606 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 05, 2015 12:36 |  #9

You may want to do a bit of research on before tossing the Dimage. You can find Win 7/8 drivers online for many older Minolta scanners.

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

ericcrazyman
190 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2013

Feb 05, 2015 12:53 |  #10

You can try this method, might get lucky. Saved my butt a couple of times with the troubleshooter. Using Windows 7 now.
If an older program doesn't run correctly, use the Program Compatibility troubleshooter to simulate the behavior of earlier versions of Windows.

A photograph is worth a thousand words, but Photoshop can produce a thousand lies. Photo editing allowed. I need all the help I can get.

itsallart
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,303 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Feb 05, 2015 12:55 as a reply to  @ AZGeorge's post |  #11

I will look for the drivers. Thanks

Renata
500px (external link)

itsallart
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,303 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Feb 05, 2015 12:55 |  #12

ericcrazyman wrote in post #17416792 (external link)
You can try this method, might get lucky. Saved my butt a couple of times with the troubleshooter. Using Windows 7 now.
If an older program doesn't run correctly, use the Program Compatibility troubleshooter to simulate the behavior of earlier versions of Windows.

I will give it a shot. Thanks

Renata
500px (external link)

itsallart
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,303 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Feb 05, 2015 15:27 |  #13

ericcrazyman wrote in post #17416792 (external link)

We did and tried to simulatete Windows XP, and it didn't work. but I have just found this and am about to install the drivers http://www.hamrick.com …minolta_scan_du​al_iv.html (external link)

Renata
500px (external link)

Mark ­ Vuleta
Goldmember
4,170 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 08, 2015 00:26 |  #14

Have you thought of just buying a cheap 2nd hand XP computer? I have a Canoscan 8000F which is a great flatbed scanner but no drivers available for Windows 7 64bit. All you need the PC for is to run the scanner, do your processing of the files on your newer PC

Firemike
" lingering odor "
3,020 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Feb 08, 2015 07:19 |  #15

Mark Vuleta wrote in post #17421161 (external link)
Have you thought of just buying a cheap 2nd hand XP computer? I have a Canoscan 8000F which is a great flatbed scanner but no drivers available for Windows 7 64bit. All you need the PC for is to run the scanner, do your processing of the files on your newer PC

This was my thought as well... I'm sure if you ask around you can find a friend/colleague that has an XP laptop or desktop that they are not using that you could buy/borrow. I have a laptop and a tower that are still in great working order that still run XP, but aren't worth upgrading, but still use occasionally.

MichaeL

Canon 5D Mark II, 7D, 50D, & 40D (x2) ( All Gripped) | Canon EF 28-135 1:3/5-5.6 IS | Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM | Canon EF 17-40 mm f/4L USM | Canon EF 70-200 1:4 L USM
600EX-RT (x2) | 580EX-II | 430EX-II
| Gossen Luna-Pro Digital F Exposure Meter

sponsored links

3,214 views & 0 likes for this thread
Digitizing slides at home or not
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.