Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 29 Jan 2015 (Thursday) 08:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D Mark ll Focus?

britt777
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jan 29, 2015 21:04 |  #16

rgs wrote in post #17406279 (external link)
I understand that completely. Of all the arts, photography seems to strike that instant gratification gene that we all have the hardest. I only mention post processing because the 7D2 RAW files have so much more potential than, say, the RAW files from my 50D. If you shoot JPEG and trust processing to the camera, you might see a good deal of it but shooting JPEG has it's own drawbacks and the processing choices will be Canon's - not yours (although one could argue that's a good thing).

Ansel Adams, drawing on his musical training, said the negative is the written music (the unheard potential) and the print is the performance. In digital terms, the camera file is the written music and post processing the performance.

Enjoy that new camera. It's great.

I hear ya, good point! Well camera is here :-) showed up late-? and tomorrow rain...looks like it will be an indoor play day:lol::lol::lol:

Brittany
www.shutterprophotogra​phy.com (external link)

sponsored links
Canon-Chas
232 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2010
Post edited over 4 years ago by Canon-Chas. (2 edits in all)

Jan 31, 2015 05:04 |  #17

A lot of common sense written in this thread, I suspect an awful lot of unhappy 7D MK2 customers who sent their cameras back as being faulty didn't take the time and effort to read the 500 page manual. However I know of at least two excellent experienced photographers who did have genuine focus issues

When I first got the 7D MK2 three weeks ago I plugged in my 300mm f2.8 MK 2 and took some static shots. They seemed a little soft wide open at f2.8-f.4 . An aperture of f5 -f8 would have hidden the fact it needed AF Micro adjusted. It was front focusing so, +6 and it was in focus as it should be. Next BIF shots in AI SERVO were proving inconsistently soft, which was puzzling me ? I tried all the case options, and IS 2 and IS 3 mode on the lens for panning (2) and erratic movement (3). Still inconsistent ! So, I went down to the local duck pond today in mostly dull light to try and solve the problem Now the 300mm f2.8 mk2 is the fastest and sharpest lens in the world, no doubt about that so was the camera the culprit? I blame myself, having taken thousands of BIF shots with my ID Mk4 , 95% of which were razor sharp, I thought, go back to default case setting (1). This improved consistency a lot, I then took 100 RAW shots in total but only 60 were as sharp as they should be. So, with case setting 1, first image priority=focus, second image priority= middle setting, half way between focus and speed priority I then did what you should always do before pressing the shutter button, wait till focus and tracking is locked. This takes 0.5 secs on the 1D MK4 and takes about 1 sec on the 7D MK2. Basically I was used to the 1D and had to wait longer for the 7D to focus and track lock. Every shot I took subsequently was in focus as it should be using a 300mm f2.8 lens. Canon advised a friend of mine to ease off on the camera case tracking settings, 0 or -1,-2 , never + when using a fast prime lens. Canon also advise that case setting 1 the default setting may be all you will ever need, looks like they are right!
Two testing shots of fast birds below taken as RAW

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Chas
http://www.wildfeather​s.co.uk (external link)

bx338
247 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Feb 2013

Jan 31, 2015 05:13 |  #18

Great shots, i would be happy with them.
I also found case 1 setting gave me the best for BIF shots with my 400mm f5.6 especially when shooting ducks which are mostly panning shots with stable horizontal flight, (although teal can break all the rules about flight patterns :lol:)
Look forward to seeing more of your shots and experiences.

skid00skid00
511 posts
Joined Mar 2004

Jan 31, 2015 14:24 |  #19

Canon-Chas wrote in post #17408330 (external link)
... So, with case setting 1, first image priority=focus, second image priority= middle setting, half way between focus and speed priority

Why would anyone with focus issues deliberately allow the shutter to fire when the AF system *knows* it has not locked on focus?

That's what everyone is doing, when they set either first or following images' priority to be set to other than 'fire when focus is achieved'...

Unless you are paparazzi, or a pro sports photog, no one should allow their shutter to fire, unless focus is confirmed.

Canon-Chas
232 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Post edited over 4 years ago by Canon-Chas. (2 edits in all)

Jan 31, 2015 14:40 as a reply to  @ skid00skid00's post |  #20

Works for me as I know with my 300mm f/2.8 MK2 even on a 7D MK2 will focus on first image, always has always will ;-)a

That's wildlife photography when hand holding, you may only have two or three seconds to focus and track before the subject disappears

Chas
http://www.wildfeather​s.co.uk (external link)

nsnqst
125 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Jul 2014

Jan 31, 2015 15:34 |  #21

I would take shots of various static objects in good light and with the camera at the same location. Keep it at case 1. See how those shots turn out. Don't assume it will be a defective body.

If the shots come out in focus with a hight keeper rate 90%, I would then try moving objects - people, birds or whatever you choose and see the keeper rate. I would use the other cases only in circumstances that demand those.

Good luck; assume you will get a keeper and hope it indeed turns out that way. Happy shooting!

Canon 5D Mark III, EF 50 F/1.4, EF 17-40 F/4 L, EF 24-105 F/4 IS L, EF 70-200 F/4 IS L, EF 400 F/5.6 L, Tamron 150-600, Canon Speedlite 430EX

britt777
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jan 31, 2015 19:59 |  #22

Loving loving loving so far. AF system is definitely a learning curve. I do pretty good with the single shot, but the Al Servo and Cases are a whole nother story  :p

HOSTED PHOTO

Brittany

LJ3Jim
Goldmember
1,086 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 31, 2015 22:38 |  #23

britt777 wrote in post #17409219 (external link)
Loving loving loving so far. AF system is definitely a learning curve. I do pretty good with the single shot, but the Al Servo and Cases are a whole nother story  :p

Take your time. It's worth it. :-)

Image editing ok; C&C always welcome.

2slo
Cream of the Crop
6,579 posts
Gallery: 609 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Oct 2011

Feb 01, 2015 11:40 |  #24

Canon-Chas wrote in post #17408330 (external link)
A lot of common sense written in this thread, I suspect an awful lot of unhappy 7D MK2 customers who sent their cameras back as being faulty didn't take the time and effort to read the 500 page manual. However I know of at least two excellent experienced photographers who did have genuine focus issues

When I first got the 7D MK2 three weeks ago I plugged in my 300mm f2.8 MK 2 and took some static shots. They seemed a little soft wide open at f2.8-f.4 . An aperture of f5 -f8 would have hidden the fact it needed AF Micro adjusted. It was front focusing so, +6 and it was in focus as it should be. Next BIF shots in AI SERVO were proving inconsistently soft, which was puzzling me ? I tried all the case options, and IS 2 and IS 3 mode on the lens for panning (2) and erratic movement (3). Still inconsistent ! So, I went down to the local duck pond today in mostly dull light to try and solve the problem Now the 300mm f2.8 mk2 is the fastest and sharpest lens in the world, no doubt about that so was the camera the culprit? I blame myself, having taken thousands of BIF shots with my ID Mk4 , 95% of which were razor sharp, I thought, go back to default case setting (1). This improved consistency a lot, I then took 100 RAW shots in total but only 60 were as sharp as they should be. So, with case setting 1, first image priority=focus, second image priority= middle setting, half way between focus and speed priority I then did what you should always do before pressing the shutter button, wait till focus and tracking is locked. This takes 0.5 secs on the 1D MK4 and takes about 1 sec on the 7D MK2. Basically I was used to the 1D and had to wait longer for the 7D to focus and track lock. Every shot I took subsequently was in focus as it should be using a 300mm f2.8 lens. Canon advised a friend of mine to ease off on the camera case tracking settings, 0 or -1,-2 , never + when using a fast prime lens. Canon also advise that case setting 1 the default setting may be all you will ever need, looks like they are right!
Two testing shots of fast birds below taken as RAW
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Canon-Chas in
./showthread.php?p=174​08330&i=i63570654
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Two very good shots there, especially the second one.

8612images
736 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 01, 2015 15:00 as a reply to  @ skid00skid00's post |  #25

just because they are set to focus and you get the "ok" and shutter releases, does not mean it's in sharp focus, merely that the camera "thinks" it's in focus...
some of the 7d2 shooters with issues have it in "focus" mode for both priotities. I had 2 that did not get crisp focus. The 3rd body seems to work better.

Steve

Archibald
You must be quackers!
9,212 posts
Gallery: 416 photos
Joined May 2008

Feb 01, 2015 15:05 |  #26

skid00skid00 wrote in post #17408818 (external link)
Why would anyone with focus issues deliberately allow the shutter to fire when the AF system *knows* it has not locked on focus?

That's what everyone is doing, when they set either first or following images' priority to be set to other than 'fire when focus is achieved'...

Unless you are paparazzi, or a pro sports photog, no one should allow their shutter to fire, unless focus is confirmed.

In many situations, being in focus is not such a black and white thing. It can be very useful to have a slightly out of focus picture of something instead of nothing, and in some cases even a very out of focus picture can be very good to have.

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 90D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

Thorsten
183 posts
Joined Feb 2014
Post edited over 4 years ago by Thorsten.

Feb 01, 2015 17:07 |  #27

skid00skid00 wrote in post #17408818 (external link)

Also, when the AF cannot confirm focus, it does not mean the image will really be out of focus. I.e. while tracking a flying bird, it may have moved out from under a focus point, and the AF point is on the sky for a brief moment. That does not mean the image will be out of focus. With tracking set low in an AF case, the camera will not immediately trying to refocus. Sometimes it can be good to have a series of images taken when only for some of them the camera could really confirm focus. The best shot may be one in between.

Thorsten (external link)
Canon 5D3, 24 IS, 35L, 50/1.8 STM, 85/1.8, 100L, 135L, 200/2.8L, 400/5.6L, 16-35/4L, 24-70/4L, 70-200/4L IS, Rokinon 12/2.8

GregDunn
Goldmember
1,289 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Feb 01, 2015 17:30 |  #28

Thorsten has it right. Do not assume that the camera will do all your thinking or deciding for you. It's your job as the nut behind the wheel :D to understand how the camera will respond to various situations and either adapt to it or adjust settings till it does what you want. Remember, it's not just a camera, or a photographer - it's the two working together to create an image. Getting the most out of the advanced hardware/software in these cameras requires some reading and some experimentation.

I came to my 7D from a high-end Rebel. It still took me weeks to adjust myself and the camera to take advantage of the many improvements which were built in.

Canon 1Dx | 5D3 | 7D2 | 6D | 70-200L f/2.8IS | 70-200L f/4 | 24-70L f/2.8 | 24-105L f/4IS | 100-400L f/4.5-5.6IS | 17-55 f/2.8IS | 50 f/1.8 | 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 | 4x Godox AD360

britt777
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Feb 05, 2015 17:24 |  #29

So Im loving the things this camera can do. Working with the different Cases and trying to get the hang of this whole AF system. I realized I had case 6 set on camera but had my custom settings set to Case 5. Im assuming the camera uses settings applied to my custom settings (AF-ON BBF Al Servo) I can tell what I focused on in camera but when I upload to LR I can no longer see the focus point. These are my settings f/8 - 1/500sec ISO 500. Lens 24-105 f/4 . Comment please

HOSTED PHOTO

Brittany

britt777
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Feb 05, 2015 19:03 |  #30

So this is what was suppose to be my focus point, but as you can see this is far from focused, what am I doing wrong. Anyone?

HOSTED PHOTO

Brittany

sponsored links

10,109 views & 16 likes for this thread
7D Mark ll Focus?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.