Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 29 Jan 2015 (Thursday) 08:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D Mark ll Focus?

Archibald
You must be quackers!
9,213 posts
Gallery: 416 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Feb 05, 2015 19:06 |  #31

britt777 wrote in post #17417355 (external link)
So this is what was suppose to be my focus point, but as you can see this is far from focused, what am I doing wrong. Anyone?

To my eye there is some motion blur. Also be careful of those assist points. They will grab focus when you don't want them to.

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 90D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

sponsored links
Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
16,028 posts
Gallery: 2548 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited over 4 years ago by Pondrader.

Feb 05, 2015 19:07 |  #32

what I see is motion blur!! at 1/500 you are not going to stop that action. at 1/1250 you would have done much better but there would still be blur on fast parts like feet and tails, heads turning

Jeff ........, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

rgs
Goldmember
2,328 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 05, 2015 19:13 |  #33

britt777 wrote in post #17417355 (external link)
So this is what was suppose to be my focus point, but as you can see this is far from focused, what am I doing wrong. Anyone?

You let the camera decide where the focus point should be and it will always focus on the closest object. To control the focus point yourself you will need to use the single spot or the single spot with the 4 spot or 8 spot "focus assist" arrays. the "zone focus" arrays pick the focus spot for you. Visit this website http://www.usa.canon.c​om …rk_ii#Brochures​AndManuals (external link) and download the "AF Guide". Study how each of the focus arrays work. In my opinion the "zone focus" ones are the least useful and the single spot the best choice.

Canon 7d MkII, Canon 50D, Pentax 67, Canon 30D, Baker Custom 4x5, Canon EF 24-104mm f4, Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC

The Singular Image (external link)Richard Smith Photography (external link)
Richard Smith Real Estate Photography (external link)500PX (external link)
Fine Art America (external link)

Archibald
You must be quackers!
9,213 posts
Joined May 2008

Feb 05, 2015 20:04 |  #34

rgs wrote in post #17417369 (external link)
You let the camera decide where the focus point should be and it will always focus on the closest object. To control the focus point yourself you will need to use the single spot or the single spot with the 4 spot or 8 spot "focus assist" arrays. the "zone focus" arrays pick the focus spot for you. Visit this website http://www.usa.canon.c​om …rk_ii#Brochures​AndManuals (external link) and download the "AF Guide". Study how each of the focus arrays work. In my opinion the "zone focus" ones are the least useful and the single spot the best choice.

Spot AF is not as reliable as simple single AF point. I'm convinced that many of the focus problems reported are due to use of spot focusing, perhaps in an effort to improve AF. Spot focus is potentially more precise, but it is less reliable.

C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

rgs
Goldmember
2,328 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 05, 2015 20:15 |  #35

Archibald wrote in post #17417430 (external link)
Spot AF is not as reliable as simple single AF point. I'm convinced that many of the focus problems reported are due to use of spot focusing, perhaps in an effort to improve AF. Spot focus is potentially more precise, but it is less reliable.

I meant single point. Said it wrong. Sorry for the confusion. Yeah the single point seems to be the best followed by the 4 and 8 assist arrays.

Canon 7d MkII, Canon 50D, Pentax 67, Canon 30D, Baker Custom 4x5, Canon EF 24-104mm f4, Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC

britt777
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Feb 05, 2015 20:40 |  #36

what is the best setting for this option?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Brittany
www.shutterprophotogra​phy.com (external link)

MikeWa
879 posts
Gallery: 89 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Feb 05, 2015 21:15 |  #37

rgs wrote in post #17417369 (external link)
You let the camera decide where the focus point should be and it will always focus on the closest object.

I have heard this many times before but it makes me wonder how is it possible. The camera has only one lens so no depth perception. The Canon 7 series does not use sonic or infra red signals for depth perception that I am aware of. So how does it know what is closer? I always thought the sensors grabbed the best contrasting subjects. Which means usually the closest but not always. That is why focus is sometimes captured by the background. So can somebody explain this to me? I am not trying to be a turd here. I am trying to find out if there is something I am missing. Could it be grabbing whatever comes into focus first? Ok some of you are a lot smarter than me. So what actually happens?

Mike

Mike...G9; 7D; 7D Mark II; EF-S 10-22mm; EF-S 18-135mm IS STM; EF 28-300mm F3.5-5.6L; EF 70-300mm IS USM; EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS-II; EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS; EXT 1.4-II & 2.0-III; The more I learn the less I know.

Archibald
You must be quackers!
9,213 posts
Joined May 2008

Feb 05, 2015 21:18 |  #38

MikeWa wrote in post #17417510 (external link)
I have heard this many times before but it makes me wonder how is it possible. The camera has only one lens so no depth perception. The Canon 7 series does not use sonic or infra red signals for depth perception that I am aware of. So how does it know what is closer? I always thought the sensors grabbed the best contrasting subjects. Which means usually the closest but not always. That is why focus is sometimes captured by the background. So can somebody explain this to me? I am not trying to be a turd here. I am trying to find out if there is something I am missing. Could it be grabbing whatever comes into focus first? Ok some of you are a lot smarter than me. So what actually happens?

Mike

The camera only needs one eye for depth perception. It knows distance because it knows the lens extension needed to achieve focus.

C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

rgs
Goldmember
2,328 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 05, 2015 21:22 |  #39

MikeWa wrote in post #17417510 (external link)

Mike

This is just what Canon says about those focus arrays. I don't know how they do it or how accurate they are but one thing is certain, under most (but not all - like a flying bird in a clear sky) conditions, letting the camera choose the focus point is not reliable.

britt777
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Feb 06, 2015 06:33 |  #40

that was a great answer to my question.

Brittany
www.shutterprophotogra​phy.com (external link)

MikeWa
879 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Feb 06, 2015 19:15 |  #41

Archibald wrote in post #17417517 (external link)
The camera only needs one eye for depth perception. It knows distance because it knows the lens extension needed to achieve focus.

Agreed. It knows the distance to what it focused on. But I do not think it knows the distance to everything in the frame. So I don't think it always focuses on the nearest object when in automatic point selection. I don't see where I am wrong with this. Although I have been told I am.

Mike

Mike...G9; 7D; 7D Mark II; EF-S 10-22mm; EF-S 18-135mm IS STM; EF 28-300mm F3.5-5.6L; EF 70-300mm IS USM; EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS-II; EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS; EXT 1.4-II & 2.0-III; The more I learn the less I know.

MikeWa
879 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Feb 06, 2015 19:19 |  #42

rgs wrote in post #17417520 (external link)
This is just what Canon says about those focus arrays. I don't know how they do it or how accurate they are but one thing is certain, under most (but not all - like a flying bird in a clear sky) conditions, letting the camera choose the focus point is not reliable.

Whole heartedly agree. In automatic point selection the camera will frequently focus on the clouds or background behind the BIF.
This doesn't mean I don't use it because I do. Frequently. But I understand not all of these shots are going to catch what I what.

Mike

Archibald
You must be quackers!
9,213 posts
Joined May 2008

Feb 06, 2015 20:48 |  #43

MikeWa wrote in post #17419271 (external link)
Agreed. It knows the distance to what it focused on. But I do not think it knows the distance to everything in the frame. So I don't think it always focuses on the nearest object when in automatic point selection. I don't see where I am wrong with this. Although I have been told I am.

I don't know either how the camera does it, but I surmise it must be checking focus with all active AF points. It must pick up lens extension data during the focus sweep for each point and retain that data. Seems amazing, but I don't see how else it could work.

Canon says the nearest object will be selected, and I can confirm that's what it does from my shooting experience.

C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

MikeWa
879 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Feb 06, 2015 21:29 |  #44

It seems the more I learn the less I know. If this keeps up it won't be long before I don't know anything.

Mike

sponsored links

10,110 views & 16 likes for this thread
7D Mark ll Focus?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.