Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 06 Feb 2015 (Friday) 03:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New EOS M3 - finally o.k.?

Blue ­ Horseshoe
70 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2010

Feb 06, 2015 03:29 |  #1

Finally an interesting body to the M-System?

http://cpn.canon-europe.com …product/cameras​/eos_m3.do (external link)

EOS 77D & 500D (T1i) | EF 28-135 | EF 50L | EF 20-35L | EF 50-200L | EF-S 18-55 IS | Speedlite 199A 270EX & 320EX | C5i | DPP & PSE 8 | U28D590D | Selphy 900 | DiMAGE Z1 | AE-1
-
Follow me on instagram (external link)

sponsored links
Amamba
Goldmember
3,679 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 06, 2015 06:07 |  #2

JonKline wrote in post #17400065 (external link)
If you're going to want to to anything to the footage, including editing, correcting color, etc., it's best to leave it in the native DV codec. The bitrate is actually a quite reasonable 25 Mbps. Considering that even basic DSLR video recording is twice that bitrate, you shouldn't be filling up your drives too quickly.

If you're done with it, an h.264 file around 4Mbps will give you great results for uploading, or playing on set-top boxes. But you have to go through the trouble of converting it and then deleting the original.

According to the ad, it fixes one problem (slow AF with EF-M lenses)

Still,

- no EVF
- no tilting LCD
- no built in bounce-able flash (a must for portrait shooters, especially in harsh / contrasty / backlit light). Carrying a flash with you kills the main advantage of a portable camera. The GN6 flash on my Nex is extremely useful for 90% of situations.
- no word on focusing speed with EF lenses.

A step in the right direction, definitely. But just one step.

Ex-Canon shooter. Now Sony Nex.
Life Lessons: KISS. RTFM. Don't sweat the small stuff.
My Gear List (external link)

Calzor ­ Suzay
52 posts
Joined Jan 2009
Post edited over 4 years ago by Calzor Suzay. (2 edits in all)

Feb 06, 2015 06:12 |  #3

The screen looks pretty tiltable to me :)

http://cdn.pocket-lint.com …sets/images/php​ehnozk.jpg (external link)

Calzor ­ Suzay
52 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 06, 2015 06:17 |  #4

It's not available in America though, bit like the M2 was Japan only.
Testing the water... ?

Calzor ­ Suzay
52 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 06, 2015 06:21 |  #5

And this photo might hint at an addon EVF

https://cdn3.vox-cdn.com …le/3380414/DSCF​1049.0.jpg (external link)

rh18
180 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined May 2011

Feb 06, 2015 06:51 |  #6

You can bounce the flash too.
http://4.static.img-dpreview.com …623/canonm3hand​son12.jpeg (external link)

Amamba is 1 for 4. :) (Maybe 1.5 since the EVF is an add-on accessory.)

Gear and Feedback | flickr (external link)

Fred ­ Meebley
320 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 06, 2015 07:52 |  #7

The new 5d isn't for me but this one has me excited. Tilt screen, bounce flash, wifi, fast af, focus peeking for manual focus. I bet the price won't be too bad around Christmas time. Can't wait.

DGStinner
Goldmember
1,027 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Jan 2014

Feb 06, 2015 07:58 |  #8

Calzor Suzay wrote in post #17418014 (external link)
It's not available in America though, bit like the M2 was Japan only.
Testing the water... ?

I hope they'll eventually release it in the US.

Dave Stinner
Gripped 7DII | 6DII
EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM | EF 24-105mm f/4L | EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM | EF 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM | Rokinon 8mm | Sigma 150-600
Instagram (external link)

Amamba
Goldmember
3,679 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Post edited over 4 years ago by Amamba.

Feb 06, 2015 10:24 as a reply to  @ rh18's post |  #9

I am happy to be wrong :)

I love my EVF on Nex but if Canon comes up with decent and reasonably priced lenses for EF-M I'd be very tempted to switch back. After all, this is the main advantage of Canon based system - lenses.

Amamba
Goldmember
3,679 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Post edited over 4 years ago by Amamba.

Feb 06, 2015 11:04 |  #10

DGStinner wrote in post #17418144 (external link)
I hope they'll eventually release it in the US.

I suspect they don't want to cut into the North American Rebel market. So it's more of "sell it where it makes marketing sense".

If they do, I'd be very tempted to switch back - given that (a) the AF lives up to it's claim (i.e. is at least as good as Sony A6000), and (b) they come up with a good lens system. The four lenses available for EF-M are by all accounts very good and reasonably priced, but it needs a few more to make a "switcheable" system for me (a couple of fast stabilized primes in the 30-50mm range for starters, plus a fast and compact walkabout zoom - can be constant f4 as long as it's portable, has very good IQ and is priced below $600).

Right now, it seems to be playing catch-up to Sony A6000, it needs more lenses that are better and more competitively priced than Sony's to gain the upper hand. This is something Canon, of all camera brands, should be able to do if they wanted to. The next year or two will show us how serious they are about mirrorless. M3 is definitely a huge step in the right direction.

NoFitState
98 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 06, 2015 11:24 |  #11

I was all set to buy the new EOS M ... But canon decided not to include dual pixel sensor! Dual pixel af is a game changing technology for mirrorless cameras and canon left it out of their latest eos m ... Bizarre

5D3 || Canon 135L || Sigma 35 1.4 || Sigma 50mm 1.4 || 600ex-rt || Benro C2682TB1 Tripod || Lowepro Flipside 300 || Crumpler 5 Million Dollar Home

jmai86
153 posts
Joined Aug 2014

Feb 06, 2015 12:33 |  #12

I just so happen to traveling to Japan in April, and will be buying one, and possibly another for a friend.

Very excited, it looks great. It's a 6D companion for me, so in that regard it's fantastic. But if you're looking to switch, other systems may be better.

I also think it's great even with only the 22mm. You get a nice, compact 35mm equivelent camera that's cheaper than an X100s/t.

tagnal
Goldmember
1,255 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 06, 2015 14:25 |  #13

What is the price for it? It doesn't look very interesting to me. But, if it is cheap enough (like when the M dropped to $300) it might be viable. Not sure what cheap enough is yet though, maybe $400-$450?

What I'm really waiting for is a Canon version of the a7r.

5D3 / M3 / S100 / Σ 35 Art / 50 1.8 / 135 L / 17-40 L / 24-70 L / 70-200 f/4 IS L / m 22 2.0 / 580ex II
Toy List | flickr (external link) | FAA (external link)

Amamba
Goldmember
3,679 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Post edited over 4 years ago by Amamba. (2 edits in all)

Feb 06, 2015 14:28 as a reply to  @ tagnal's post |  #14

If it is ever available in States, I'd expect the price to be around $700 or so. The current M prices are a fire sale.

If I wanted a FF camera, I'd get an A7x already - Sony's FE lenses are actually very decent.

I however want great inexpensive APS-C lenses on a great APS-C body...

ByInfernosLight
120 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Feb 06, 2015 15:15 |  #15

It addresses most of my concerns about the M: better AF (although I would've rather seen a DP sensor), better ergonomics and physical controls, screen, flash, all that I really wanted that isn't there is a built-in EVF.

6D | 50D | EF-S 10-18mm | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II | EF 28mm f1.8 | EF 40mm f2.8 | EF 50mm f1.8 II | EF 85mm f1.8 | EF-S 18-200mm | EF 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS USM | 430EX II | flickr (external link)[/SIZE]

sponsored links

22,959 views & 3 likes for this thread
New EOS M3 - finally o.k.?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.