Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 Feb 2015 (Thursday) 07:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

OFFICIAL : 5DS and 5DS R Announced

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 06, 2015 08:45 |  #106

Submariner wrote in post #17418200 (external link)
Stronger body components - my ass!
The only thing, price apart, I was disappinted with was the weight is now 854g
And the 5D3 is 945g
11%. lighter = weaker :(

An aluminum pot is stronger than a clay pot, and lighter too. ;)

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

sponsored links
mclaren777
Goldmember
1,482 posts
Joined May 2012

Feb 06, 2015 09:05 |  #107

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #17417977 (external link)
Yup, just like the 6D. No one will want these crippled cameras.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

A simple comparison of sensor technology: Nikon vs. Canon (external link)
A technical comparison of sensor technology: Exposure Latitude (external link)

KaosImagery
Goldmember
1,403 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 06, 2015 09:06 |  #108

DGStinner wrote in post #17418196 (external link)
I thought the 'R' referred to the removal of the effect caused by the low pass filter.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Ca​non-EOS-5Ds.aspx (external link)

Mentioned in paragraph 11

Website (external link) flickr (external link) 500px (external link) FaceBook (external link)

MNUplander
Goldmember
2,527 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited over 4 years ago by MNUplander. (4 edits in all)

Feb 06, 2015 09:10 |  #109

While I see the appeal for some, my "relatively" recent PC can grind on complex actions for my 5DIII images sometimes. And, I've got 20x30's and larger from my 5DIII (hell, from my 5D back in the day) that have all the detail I could personally need. So, for me as a hobbyist landscape and family shooter, the value of the increased MP remains to be proven.

Sure, one could argue this is the same thing people said when we only had 3 MP, but 24MP still allows some pretty large prints where 3 did not. I see 50MP as more of a niche market for real pros than something even advanced hobbyist DSLR users would need, unless you're just chasing gear.

I bet if this camera had the leap in DR we'd all hoped for along with maybe native ISO 50, it would have been a much more compelling argument for this landscape shooter. But, I guess time will tell the value in this new camera as we start to see user images roll onto the forum. Maybe I will end up eating crow a year from now.

Lake Superior and North Shore Landscape Photography (external link)
Buy & Sell Feedback
6D, 16-35 f4 IS, 50 1.2, 100L Macro, 150-600C

davidfarina
Goldmember
3,357 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2013
Post edited over 4 years ago by davidfarina. (4 edits in all)

Feb 06, 2015 09:11 |  #110

Sure it looks nice and is tempting paired with a 11-24mm but i got a A7r which has a really good resolution too, is smaller and (if the reports i read are true) still has a better DR than the new canon high MP cameras. Got it for 1400$, paired with the sony/zeiss 16-35mm which is superb too, not so wide but i find 16mm plenty wide, sometimes too wide, and also cost me only 1300$.

Thats a very satisfying setup for me, for less than the 11-24mm only...

Sure there are shortcommings on the A7r compared to a DSLR or specifically to the new 5Ds or the zeiss 16-35 compared to the 11-24mm, but to me they are negligible for what i use it for. All i need is good quality and a logical and user friendly system aswell as a build quality which doesnt disappoint if you use your gear in less comfortable situations for my fineart and landscape photography.

I think a bit of that: I only need more than 20mpx if im going to print large as i dont crop much. No way i am going to print a portrait bigger than A3, where 20mpx should suffice. No way i need to print a street photo bigger than A3. What i love to print big is landscape images, cityscapes, seascapes whatever and fine art, architecture etc..

Just my point of view. And please no comments like your saying your satisfyied but actually youre trying to make those new announcements bad because youve spent so much money on it. Well, i know what i know and i kow what i feel so i dont give ... ;)

If youre a commercial photgrapher it doesnt matter id say. If i'd get enough cash for photography id get the best of the best though :)

But in the end photograph a trash bin with a medium format hassi or phase one or whatever for 10, 20k, but the picture still wont show a masterpiece of a photgrograph, just a simple piece of ... in a bin.  :p

Sony A7RII | Sony A7S
EF 40 | EF 70-300L | FD 35 Tilt-Shift
FE 16-35 | FE 28 | FE 90
CV 15 4.5 III | CV 40 1.4 MC | Summilux 50 ASPH
Website (external link) | 500px (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
THREAD ­ STARTER
That's my line!
9,251 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by Left Handed Brisket.

Feb 06, 2015 09:19 |  #111

mclaren777 wrote in post #17418244 (external link)
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by mclaren777 in
./showthread.php?p=174​18244&i=i114231539
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

see my PSA in sig line. :D

davidfarina wrote in post #17418256 (external link)
i dont give a S#*t ;)

no foolin'?

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

palad1n
Goldmember
1,744 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jun 2013

Feb 06, 2015 09:22 |  #112

Can anyone confirm the information that this is the first non-1D camera, which has metering system linked to AF points?

Website (online) : www.lukaskrasa.com (external link)
Flickr : http://www.flickr.com/​photos/105393908@N03/ (external link)
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.c​om/lukaskrasaphoto/ (external link)
Instagram: https://instagram.com/​lukaskrasacom (external link)
Lukas

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 06, 2015 09:27 as a reply to  @ post 17418207 |  #113

That's disappointing.

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 06, 2015 09:30 as a reply to  @ MNUplander's post |  #114

You'll get more meat from a deer. ;)

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 06, 2015 09:32 |  #115

mfunnell wrote in post #17417661 (external link)
My guess is that it will neither match nor go beyond "the DR offered by Sony sensors" at base ISO. As is typical of Canon sensors, they will out-do Sony sensors at higher ISO values yet will get no credit from the "only Sony sensors are any good" crowd. Even if these new sensors do match Sony sensors for that particular number (DR at base ISO) there's bound to be some other number, somewhere (my bet: DXO) where a Sony sensor can be said to be better, and once that's hunted down then the "all Canon sensors are all cr*p, all the time" refrain can continue on the basis of whatever number that may be.

I have no particular brief for or against Sony sensors or Canon sensors. But I can note that one might be superior in some circumstances while another might be superior in different circumstances. I'm suggesting that if and only if you are doing critical work that requires utmost performance at that particular task then you should perhaps care about this. Otherwise most modern sensors will mostly do whatever you want once you've learned to work with them. But it won't matter: people will look for one number - any number - to justify their pre-judgement for their favourite and against all others.

I might wish it wasn't so, but it is. I suppose it keeps the forums ticking over, but it's starting to get very old...

...Mike

A 50MP camera with a max ISO of 6400 appeals most to studio and landscape photographers almost by design.

Studio and landscape photographers shoot at low ISO. Why does it matter to us that Canon is better at ISO 12800 or whatever when our ISO setting is superglued to 100? As a landscape photographer, I care what Canon can deliver at ISO 50 and 100, not what it can deliver at ISO 12800, where it will be too noisy for me to make a huge print anyway.

fogboundturtle
735 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 06, 2015 09:39 |  #116

I don't know 1 landscape photographer that really cares about AF. I've been doing for years and I always work with manual lenses. If I want to do hyperfocal shot, I need to manual focus anyway. Yes the higher MP count is great but what landscape photographer really needs is more dynamic range, more dynamic range and more dynamic range. Oh and better performance at low ISO. So it looks like this 5Dr/s is just an 7DII upscale to an FF sensor. Its very disappointing.

I will stick with my Sony A7r for landscaping. It is a such a better tool to work with. I already got an GH4 for video so it looks like my Canon is going to be on CL soon.

Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 70D, Canon EF 24-105L, Tamron 150-600mm, Tamron 70-200 F2.8 DI VC USD, Sony A7r, Sony FE 55mm F1.8

jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,776 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 06, 2015 09:40 |  #117

hiya

Canon 5dmkIII | Canon 85L 1.2 | Sigma 35mm ART 1.4|Canon 16-35mm L 2.8 |Canon 24-70mm L f2.8 | Canon 70-200mm F2.8L MK2 | Canon 430EX MK2 Flickr (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
THREAD ­ STARTER
That's my line!
9,251 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Feb 06, 2015 09:43 |  #118

fogboundturtle wrote in post #17418296 (external link)
I don't know 1 landscape photographer that really cares about AF. I've been doing for years and I always work with manual lenses. If I want to do hyperfocal shot, I need to manual focus anyway. Yes the higher MP count is great but what landscape photographer really needs is more dynamic range, more dynamic range and more dynamic range. Oh and better performance at low ISO. So it looks like this 5Dr/s is just an 7DII upscale to an FF sensor. Its very disappointing.

I will stick with my Sony A7r for landscaping. It is a such a better tool to work with. I already got an GH4 for video so it looks like my Canon is going to be on CL soon.

TeamSpeed posted this in the 5Ds rumor thread: http://www.brucepercy.​co.uk …y-need-high-dynamic-range (external link)

interesting read.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

gary88
Goldmember
4,003 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 06, 2015 09:50 |  #119

Looks like I'm holding on to my 5D3.

www.garyhebdingjr.com (external link)|Flickr  (external link)IGear List|Alamy | (external link)Instagram: @garyhebding

fogboundturtle
735 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 06, 2015 09:52 |  #120

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #17418301 (external link)
TeamSpeed posted this in the 5Ds rumor thread: http://www.brucepercy.​co.uk …y-need-high-dynamic-range (external link)

interesting read.

And yet all of the picture on the article were HDR...the irony here. dynamic range does matter in post-processing when you are trying to lift shadow. I don't always want to shoot 3 bracket exposure so yeah dynamic range does matter.

Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 70D, Canon EF 24-105L, Tamron 150-600mm, Tamron 70-200 F2.8 DI VC USD, Sony A7r, Sony FE 55mm F1.8

sponsored links

294,517 views & 241 likes for this thread
OFFICIAL : 5DS and 5DS R Announced
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.