Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
Thread started 05 Feb 2015 (Thursday) 10:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Determining the nodal point for panoramas

cerett
806 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Feb 05, 2015 10:00 |  #1

How many of you are actually determining the nodal of your lens before shooting panoramas? I am getting mixed advice on this. Some say do it to eliminate parallax. Others say it really makes no difference in your images.. Your thoughts?

Marty
5D M4, 14/2.8 II, 24/1.4 II, 16-35/2.8, 24-70/2.8, 70-200/2.8 II, 300/2.8, 200-400/4, 500/4 II, 24/3.5 TS-E, 17/4 TS-E, Zeiss 21/2.8.

KLR-VA0501
158 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 06, 2015 09:38 |  #2

I've used information found on Really Right Stuff website for getting my initial no-parallax points for the various lenses I use and then do my own testing be make sure they're correct. I've also done quite a few panoramas that were hand held. Quite frankly, I can't see a big difference either way. However, if I have my tripod with me and am doing a panorama with it, I will also use the no-parallax points that I've determined for the lens I am using just to be on the safe side. I figure as long as I'm taking the time to get things set up, I might as well do this best I can.

Probably the best way to determine what works best for you is to get out and take a few test shots and see how things go.

http://www.reallyright​stuff.com …he-No-Parallax-Point.html (external link)
http://www.reallyright​stuff.com …n-No-Parallax-Points.html (external link)

Ken
Canon EOS 6D | EF 16-35 f/4L | EF 24-105 f/4L | EF 70-200 f/4L II

RKlukas
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 06, 2015 10:12 |  #3

Doing it or not doing it can both work. However, if you take the time to do it, it will save you a ton of work when assembling your images together on the computer. Complex detail is far easier to stitch when it is rendered in the proper manner, with no parallax.
You essentially move the focus plane in and out when you do not have the pivot on the nodal point, as your rotation is through an arc, rather than about a single pivot point.
Nodal Ninja has a great little instruction called: Finding the Entrance Pupil of a Lens
If you can't find it email me and I will send it to you.

Rod

Rod Klukas
US Representative
Arca-Swiss Int.

inkista
617 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 06, 2015 20:52 |  #4

cerett wrote in post #17416500 (external link)
How many of you are actually determining the nodal of your lens before shooting panoramas? I am getting mixed advice on this. Some say do it to eliminate parallax. Others say it really makes no difference in your images.. Your thoughts?

I do it, but I'm shooting 360x180 full spherical panoramas indoors with a fisheye lens. Parallax error in that kind of situation is the difference between getting a panorama to stitch correctly or not.

If, however, you're just going out to snap a handful of images of a landscape to stitch together for more cover and resolution, the chances are good you don't need to worry very much and can probably even shoot it handheld. The farther away from you the subject of your image is, the less you have to worry about parallax mucking up your stitch.

The best tutorial I've found on finding the no-parallax point of the lens, is this one on John Houghton's website (external link). However, you could possible save yourself a lot of time and trouble if your lens is in the Entrance Pupil Database on the panotools wiki (external link).

I'm a woman. I shoot with a Fuji X100T, Panasonic GX-7, Canon 5DmkII, and 50D. flickr stream (external link)

BearSummer
923 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Feb 19, 2015 01:50 |  #5

From my point of view its the difference between doing it right and doing a half-arsed job. Whenever you cut corners your final image is less perfect than it could be. Whenever you look at the finished result you will always know its not as sharp, not a crisp, not as real as it could have been, you will see the bad blends even if other people don't. As I get paid to do this accurately (yes its that kind of job
) the client would not use me again if I turned in something crap

One of the "rules" of good photography is to include foreground interest, as soon as you add that to background objects you are going to get parallax issues. The reason you include the foreground is to draw them into the picture, so the first thing they look at is where the problems are, its all down hill from there :) We all know that even though it is a panorama, they will lean in to see the details and view it like its a 10"x 8" not a 26'x6'.

Also it saves time fixing it in pre rather than post production. A couple of minutes spent aligning your point of no parallax will save hours of fiddling and retouching in post production.

All the best

BearSummer

Moderation is for people that can't handle excess.

Gear List.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2,099 views & 1 like for this thread
Determining the nodal point for panoramas
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.