Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 06 Feb 2015 (Friday) 15:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What will the 5DS and R do to my 5DIII Resale Value?

Submariner
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012
Post edited over 4 years ago by Submariner. (2 edits in all)

Feb 06, 2015 15:29 |  #1

I was just thinking, what price should I ask in the UK for my Mint Perfect 5DIII (July 2013 ) 26,600 clicks?
With or without the genuine Canon Grip ( as it looks like the new 5DS and R ) will use the same Grip.?

Should I bundle the spare battery as it looks like it takes the same one?

Plenty of time to think on this as they are not out till June?

Interested in folks views, at first I thought this would cripple the resale value, then you hear the DR is not spectacular, and the Low light is worse than the 5DIII and no HDMI out for video.
Will people still prize secondhand 5DIII's?

I saw a listing for one at £1100 it said it had a scratch on the base but it looked more like a seriously deep gouge ( like you might get dropping it 4 ft onto,rough concrete - so bad Imwould never dream of buying it but then I am hyper fussy ). Are they really only worth £1,000 ?

Blimey at a £1,000 I'd seriously think of keepimg mine as a back up / beach camera.

I would have hoped it would be worht £1,500 utterly mint, never changed a lens outside etc. no beach shoots, never used in the rain. 97% used in the studio. Or am I dreaming?

Another thought, would the 5DIII go down more in value in the usual 6 month period, after the 5DS is released; than the amount the 5DS will invariably go down by.?

I was also thinking will Canon regret such a long wait till June. By then will a lot of people think, I might as well hang on and see what is announced in the 5DIV? ( possibly better ISO and or DR? ).
Interested in your views.

Canon EOS 5DS R, Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L Mk II IS USM, Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS USM, EF 40mm F2.8 STM , RC6 Remote. Canon STE-3 Radio Flash Controller, Canon 600 EX RT x4 , YN 560 MkII x2 ; Bowens GM500PRO x4 , Bowens Remote Control. Bowens Pulsar TX, RX Radio Transmitter and Reciever Cards. Bowens Constant 530 Streamlights 600w x 4 Sold EOS 5D Mk III, 7D, EF 50mm F1.8, 430 EX Mk II, Bowens GM500Rs x4

sponsored links
scotchtape
152 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Feb 06, 2015 16:46 |  #2

5DS/R has a different feature set and different target market, so it doesn't really affect the value of 5D3 too much.

5D4 probably will depending on the price.

In the NA market, you could already find 5D3 around $2,400 USD even last year on eBay (new). I think the latest is around $2,200 USD new.
I just saw a local CL posting for a 5D3 - $1,900 CDN which I can't confirm the veracity of. But obviously it was sold immediately.

You just have to know your local market... obviously UK pricing is higher than here, but £1,500 for a used camera = $2,200 USD.
You can buy new here for that price if you wait for a deal.

Keep in mind, if there isn't really that much of an improvement over 5D3, used values won't drop too much (more than usual) as the there will already be almost a $1.5K USD differential between 5D3 and 5D4... Remember when 5D3 came out? 5D2 pricing didn't start to plummet until a year or two later.

I don't know your market but between £1,000 and £1,300 seems to be the NA going rate depending on how desperate the seller is.
Even several months ago I saw a few 5D2s go for less than £500 used... and they were in ok condition too.

JohnB57
Goldmember
1,507 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 06, 2015 16:53 |  #3

HDEW's price today for their grey import, but brand new 5D3 is £1,579, including their own 3 year warranty. I guess you would have to take this into consideration when assessing used values.

DGStinner
Goldmember
1,027 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Jan 2014

Feb 06, 2015 16:58 |  #4

Since the 5DS/5DSR isn't a replacement for the 5DIII, I can't believe they would hurt the resale value. As scotchtape said, the 5DIV will affect the resale value.

Dave Stinner
Gripped 7DII | 6DII
EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM | EF 24-105mm f/4L | EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM | EF 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM | Rokinon 8mm | Sigma 150-600
Instagram (external link)

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,634 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 06, 2015 17:47 |  #5

even if the 5Ds/r are for another market, the 5D3 will still take a hit. There are canon landscape shooters, and this camera checks a lot of boxes for them. Even some wildlife photogs that want BOTH crop and full frame can consolidate with a camera like this.

resale will drop faster than usual with the release of the 5Ds/r.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - CV 21/3.5 - FE 35/2.8 - SY 35/1.4 AF - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 06, 2015 18:29 |  #6

Charlie wrote in post #17419146 (external link)
resale will drop faster than usual with the release of the 5Ds/r.

I somehow doubt that. But we'll see soon enough.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 06, 2015 19:14 |  #7

Submariner wrote in post #17418939 (external link)
I would have hoped it would be worht £1,500 utterly mint, never changed a lens outside etc. no beach shoots, never used in the rain. 97% used in the studio. Or am I dreaming?

I think you are dreaming. Firstly, I doubt it would be worth more because it has only been used indoors, never rained on etc., can you prove that? Mine HAS been rained on (often) used on the beach (it's 500 metres from where I live, so again, often) lenses are frequently changed outside, but it still looks mint and I could make the same claims. Without proof, it sounds good but is just not going to be taken at face value.

Secondly, why would someone buy a used camera with no warranty for £1,500, when they can get one brand new, boxed with all the accessories and a 3 year UK warranty for another £80

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,476 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 06, 2015 20:45 |  #8

A few thoughts.....

First, pricing of used cameras automatically includes expected replacement cameras. The market knows that Canon is likely to replace the 5D3 with some kind of 5D4 after something like three years, and so the 5D3 used prices should reflect this expectation. That's why used cameras do not abruptly drop 50% in value when a replacement is announced....the market should and does anticipate the replacement. The effect is baked in to the used pricing before the announcement.

I know this above point tends to confuse people. They think a new camera or lens will crush used pricing, but unless the camera is very significantly different from what should be expected, the effect is already present in the used market. Think about it like this.....should punters really be shocked that Canon replaces their cameras from time to time?

THe 5Ds and 5Dr are not actually replacements for the 5D3. They are different, and I suspect that most 5D3 users (such as myself) look at these new cameras and have precisely zero interest. The have more resolution, and that comes with big files, slower performance and no other specific gains. To me, I have just no interest in these new cameras whatsoever.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

Thorsten
182 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Feb 2014

Feb 06, 2015 21:25 |  #9

DGStinner wrote in post #17419064 (external link)
Since the 5DS/5DSR isn't a replacement for the 5DIII, I can't believe they would hurt the resale value. As scotchtape said, the 5DIV will affect the resale value.

The 7D2 wasn't a 1D4 replacement, either, but I think it affected it's used prices. But I agree with your nonetheless: The 5Ds price is so high that it probably won't have much effect on the 5D3.

Thorsten (external link)
Canon 5D3, 24 IS, 35L, 50/1.8 STM, 85/1.8, 100L, 135L, 200/2.8L, 400/5.6L, 16-35/4L, 24-70/4L, 70-200/4L IS, Rokinon 12/2.8

Submariner
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012

Feb 06, 2015 22:05 |  #10

JohnB57 wrote in post #17419054 (external link)
HDEW's price today for their grey import, but brand new 5D3 is £1,579, including their own 3 year warranty. I guess you would have to take this into consideration when assessing used values.

Too true, I am a coward when it comes to buying new. But would I prefer a new grey with a warranty ( albeit 3rd party ) especially from probably the only reputable grey supplier in the UK .... Probably Yes.

So they will hurt the second hand value.
But then I think they also keep Canon UK prices in line!
Lets face it without them, Canon main dealers would probably stull be selling the 5D3 for £3,000 with a grip ( essential in my book) at £250. So a total of £3,250 - then I would risk an HDE at £1,500!

So Grey suppliers do us new purchasers a favour, by driving down the price to £2,300.

Thinking aloud, does that make mine worth £1, 300 now, and by the release date of June, what say £1,100??

If I waited a further 6 months for the 5DS R to drop to £2,500 -.would my 5D3 be £900. :( :(
Gosh as its totally mint that looks like a solid case to keep it as a backup!

Canon EOS 5DS R, Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L Mk II IS USM, Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS USM, EF 40mm F2.8 STM , RC6 Remote. Canon STE-3 Radio Flash Controller, Canon 600 EX RT x4 , YN 560 MkII x2 ; Bowens GM500PRO x4 , Bowens Remote Control. Bowens Pulsar TX, RX Radio Transmitter and Reciever Cards. Bowens Constant 530 Streamlights 600w x 4 Sold EOS 5D Mk III, 7D, EF 50mm F1.8, 430 EX Mk II, Bowens GM500Rs x4

Submariner
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012

Feb 06, 2015 22:39 |  #11

Thanks for all the very useful and valid points.

Interestingly a buddy of mine who was Canon, but now shoots a Nikon D810 said.
" I would wait a few months, the 5DS R is a glorified £1,600 Sony A7R, admittedly commanding a premium as its Canon ( no need for adapters ) better AF, better build, but without great low light capabilities, and stunning DR its really worth only £2,300."
He went on to say "wait 3 to 4 months, during which admittedly all the Landscape guys and a few studio shooters will pick one up ; and then pre release info on the 5D4 will eat into prospective 5DSR sales, and hence sales of the 5DS R will die off, and the price will come down big style!
After all It's not really a D810 killer! Close but missing some vital ingredients."

I do see his point and he to feels the one to watch is the 5D4 - if Canon get it right.

He also felt for general use 36 MPS was enough. His theory was too many pixels means very small pixel sized buckets, and both of us are not too impressed with the 7DII image resolution. His exact words were "do you really want more of that?"

BTW he is not a Canon basher, and even said if Canons 5D4 was 35-40 MPS and had better low light and better DR Than his D810 he would switch back to Canon As he preferes Canons menus , L lens lineup, and the ergo/handling and canon speedlights.

PCousins
770 posts
Gallery: 420 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2014

Feb 07, 2015 00:36 |  #12

Submariner wrote in post #17418939 (external link)
Will people still prize secondhand 5DIII's?

They certainly will, You've only got to look at the used prices of the 5d2, I sold mine a month ago for £950 :-) and that is for a 2009 model........I've even seen some go through at over 1K.
I am a strong believer in that if you look after something well, keep the original box and packaging you can demand high prices. There always appears to be a strong demand for top end dslr bodies. The 5dIII is a wonderful camera although I have not used one I am aware of its reputation...........H​owever, saying that I posted the following recently regarding 1dx......

:-(:-(:-(:-(
"A friend of mine purchased a new Canon 1dx in Feb last year, he got a good deal at the time with a spare battery and a bag from a well known UK Store for £5,000. It was at the same time I purchased the Canon 70-200 f/2.8 MkII lens. I recall he used it less than a dozen times. He sold it on e-bay last week with 8000 shutter actuations. It was absolutely mint, boxed, accessories unused, came with an extra battery and a £80 high speed 32G/b flash card to get the new owner going. Also had 1 months warranty left. The Camera sold for £2,950. After e-bay fees he came away with approx £2,650. He sold it because he said he got more enjoyment and good results from his 50x zoom fuji Finepix bridge camera. The depreciation shocked me, knowing that he got just over half back what he paid for it. It made me think what can my lens be worth now as I purchased it on the same day. After checking the prices the depreciation is not that much. I was also very surprised to see that there are so many 1dx bodies for sale. If I had the money I would of purchased it as I can't see it depreciating much more. I have owned my 1ds3 for over 4 and a half years and the results I get from it still amazes me. I will continue to invest my money in NEW Glass but it’s got me thinking that my next body will be Used as there are so many bargains out there to be picked up. Another guy I was speaking to bought a used 1d4 one year ago for £1500, he is looking to get his money back after putting 20,000 clicks on the shutter. Zero depreciation."

Gear List

colintf
297 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Feb 07, 2015 06:04 |  #13

PCousins wrote in post #17419648 (external link)
They certainly will, You've only got to look at the used prices of the 5d2, I sold mine a month ago for £950 :-) and that is for a 2009 model........I've even seen some go through at over 1K.
I am a strong believer in that if you look after something well, keep the original box and packaging you can demand high prices. There always appears to be a strong demand for top end dslr bodies. The 5dIII is a wonderful camera although I have not used one I am aware of its reputation...........H​owever, saying that I posted the following recently regarding 1dx......

"A friend of mine purchased a new Canon 1dx in Feb last year, he got a good deal at the time with a spare battery and a bag from a well known UK Store for £5,000. It was at the same time I purchased the Canon 70-200 f/2.8 MkII lens. I recall he used it less than a dozen times. He sold it on e-bay last week with 8000 shutter actuations. It was absolutely mint, boxed, accessories unused, came with an extra battery and a £80 high speed 32G/b flash card to get the new owner going. Also had 1 months warranty left. The Camera sold for £2,950. After e-bay fees he came away with approx £2,650. He sold it because he said he got more enjoyment and good results from his 50x zoom fuji Finepix bridge camera. The depreciation shocked me, knowing that he got just over half back what he paid for it. It made me think what can my lens be worth now as I purchased it on the same day. After checking the prices the depreciation is not that much. I was also very surprised to see that there are so many 1dx bodies for sale. If I had the money I would of purchased it as I can't see it depreciating much more. I have owned my 1ds3 for over 4 and a half years and the results I get from it still amazes me. I will continue to invest my money in NEW Glass but it’s got me thinking that my next body will be Used as there are so many bargains out there to be picked up. Another guy I was speaking to bought a used 1d4 one year ago for £1500, he is looking to get his money back after putting 20,000 clicks on the shutter. Zero depreciation."

Damn, wish I had known about that :-(

jay125
on the happy gas
10,703 posts
Gallery: 100 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 07, 2015 12:46 |  #14

Neither the 5Ds or the 5Dsr have anything that interests me. Add to that the somewhat dramatic price increase, I can confidently state they will never be on my "want/need" list.
Even the 5DIV probably won't offer me anything either. I am completely satisfied with my 5D3, and have no intention of upgrading. So I do agree with the statement that people will still cherish their 5D3, meaning a price decrease would be relatively low, except for those people who find they cannot live without the 5Ds/r, and will take a loss on it in order to upgrade. IMO those will be few and far between.

feedback

gear list

Submariner
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012

Feb 08, 2015 12:06 |  #15

Thanks for the info on the 5D2. I Think you did very well. As once can buy the 5D3 (grey) for £1,535. That would put my 5D3 at £1,250? And its only 18 months old.

Wow that 1Dx was fab value.

Where did you sell your 5DII?

PCousins wrote in post #17419648 (external link)

sponsored links

5,016 views & 1 like for this thread
What will the 5DS and R do to my 5DIII Resale Value?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.