Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 06 Feb 2015 (Friday) 12:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Recommendation of new printer? HP Photosmart is done.

Aeroman
61 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 06, 2015 12:53 |  #1

Hi Folks, after some years of using the HP PhotoSmart c410a, I believe it is time to upgrade to a new printer for both small volume photo printing (4x6's) and general printing jobs (resume, reports, etc).

I have Windows 7, Canon 7Dm prefer wifi printer. I'd like the scanning and copying capability too. I am open to brands, including Canon, Epson, HO, etc.

Let me know your experiences/recommenda​tions please. Thanks!

sponsored links
Kent ­ Clark
359 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Post edited over 3 years ago by Kent Clark. (2 edits in all)

Feb 06, 2015 14:13 |  #2

We recently faced the same situation with our HP 7280 photosmart all in one. It was misfeeding paper, tearing it, etc. It was about 8 years old so we thought it was time to buy something newer. Like you, we wanted to print a few photos but for the most part we were doing school and office printing and we wanted the all in one capabilities.

All of the new HPs as far as I could tell have only 2 cartridges, one black and one for 3 colors. I didn't want any part of that, running out of one color and having to buy a new cartridge for all of them. We looked at Canon and Brother and Epson and ended up buying an Epson Workforce 3620 all in one. The software is much better than the old HP software which was bloated and needed to be reinstalled frequently. It has a 500 page paper tray, it has separate color cartridges. You can load photo paper, or sheet feed it. Printing and photos are very sharp. Scanning is much simpler than it was with the HP. The touchscreen LCD panel is actually very useful. The only negative is that the single sheet feed is not very intuitive. It took us a long time to figure out how to do it. For us it was the best solution.

But if I were buying it again I would go with the 3640 which has 2 500 sheet paper trays. It's almost the same price but I thought it would be too big. Now I realize it would be nice to have one tray loaded with standard paper and one tray loaded with photo paper.

Aeroman
THREAD ­ STARTER
61 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 06, 2015 16:04 |  #3

Kent Clark wrote in post #17418793 (external link)
We recently faced the same situation with our HP 7280 photosmart all in one. It was misfeeding paper, tearing it, etc. It was about 8 years old so we thought it was time to buy something newer. Like you, we wanted to print a few photos but for the most part we were doing school and office printing and we wanted the all in one capabilities.

All of the new HPs as far as I could tell have only 2 cartridges, one black and one for 3 colors. I didn't want any part of that, running out of one color and having to buy a new cartridge for all of them. We looked at Canon and Brother and Epson and ended up buying an Epson Workforce 3620 all in one. The software is much better than the old HP software which was bloated and needed to be reinstalled frequently. It has a 500 page paper tray, it has separate color cartridges. You can load photo paper, or sheet feed it. Printing and photos are very sharp. Scanning is much simpler than it was with the HP. The touchscreen LCD panel is actually very useful. The only negative is that the single sheet feed is not very intuitive. It took us a long time to figure out how to do it. For us it was the best solution.

But if I were buying it again I would go with the 3640 which has 2 500 sheet paper trays. It's almost the same price but I thought it would be too big. Now I realize it would be nice to have one tray loaded with standard paper and one tray loaded with photo paper.

Thank you so much for your reply. This is exactly what I needed to read...I too have had the issues you described with the HP printer. Scanning, bloated, etc. I will look into the Epson, thanks again!

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,918 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 06, 2015 16:50 |  #4

I really like my Canon Pixma MG5150. Really good photo prints up to A4 (well actually I can do 8.5"×12" custom size, although you cannot print this borderless. I think the custom length will go to about 17".Scanner seems to give reasonable results too. This is an older printer, but I am sure they have similar still in the range.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

DGStinner
Goldmember
1,027 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Jan 2014

Feb 06, 2015 18:47 |  #5

We have an HP Photosmart all-in-one and it has 5 different cartridges (the regular CMYK and a photo black). We've been very happy with it. We love that it's also wireless so we can print from our iPhones, iPads or laptops.

Dave Stinner
Gripped 7DII | 6DII
EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM | EF 24-105mm f/4L | EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM | EF 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM | Rokinon 8mm | Sigma 150-600
Instagram (external link)

Kent ­ Clark
359 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 07, 2015 18:15 as a reply to  @ DGStinner's post |  #6

Yes, our old photosmart all in one had separate color cartridges too. But all of the current HP all in ones I looked at in Best Buy, Office Depot and Costco only had two cartridges, black and combined color.

tgara
Goldmember
2,336 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 12, 2015 08:47 |  #7

If you look at website from some of the third party photopaper manufacturers, they seem to recommend either Epson or Canon printers. HP printers, at least for photos, simply do not perform as well as Epson or Canon.

EOS 5D Mark III
EOS Rebel SL1
Full Gear List

ThreeHounds
797 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Feb 12, 2015 13:52 as a reply to  @ Kent Clark's post |  #8

I have a Photosmart 7520 in my office. It uses separate CMY&K plus a Photo Black cartridge.
I however do not recommend this printer if you want good quality output and trouble free performance.

5D MkIII | 7D | Bronica ETRS
EF 24-105 f/4 L | EF 85mm f/1.8 USM | EF 17-40 f/4 L | EF 70-300 f/4 L | 105 f/3.5 Zenzanon | Tamron SP90 f/2.8 Di Macro VC USM
flickr (external link)

Aeroman
THREAD ­ STARTER
61 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 14, 2015 23:37 |  #9

Great, thank you everyone!

sponsored links

1,700 views & 2 likes for this thread
Recommendation of new printer? HP Photosmart is done.
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.