Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 07 Feb 2015 (Saturday) 08:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help! 300mm 2.8 element repair?

Headshotzx
Goldmember
4,488 posts
Joined Dec 2007
Post edited over 4 years ago by Headshotzx.

Feb 07, 2015 08:50 |  #1

Hey guys,

Just checking for someone I know.

Anyone can advise on what's going on here? And whether it's going to be expensive to repair?

It's a Canon 300mm f/2.8 Mk1. Everything else internally seems ok except for this.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Hope you guys can help!

Zexun | Flickr (external link) | YouTube (external link) |

sponsored links
DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,017 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Feb 07, 2015 11:53 |  #2

is it the non IS? i don't think you could find anyone to repair that if it is...

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

MikeWa
879 posts
Gallery: 89 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Feb 07, 2015 12:00 |  #3

Is it showing up in your pictures?

Mike

Mike...G9; 7D; 7D Mark II; EF-S 10-22mm; EF-S 18-135mm IS STM; EF 28-300mm F3.5-5.6L; EF 70-300mm IS USM; EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS-II; EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS; EXT 1.4-II & 2.0-III; The more I learn the less I know.

Headshotzx
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,488 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Feb 07, 2015 12:28 |  #4

Hey guys, it's a V1 meaning the 300mm 2.8L IS MK1 (before the new mk2 came out recently).

The lens is owned by someone who's switching camps and the body is sold off so he can't test it. Last few lenses left in his canon camp.

Zexun | Flickr (external link) | YouTube (external link) |

Van ­ Gogh
Goldmember
1,317 posts
Gallery: 118 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Jun 2013

Feb 07, 2015 13:24 |  #5

Man that sucks. It hurts just looking at it. :cry:

Camera - 2x5Dmk3, C100 mkii, 70D, 60D
Lenses - 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS ii, 85mm f1.2L II, 35mm f1.4 ART, 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS
Lighting - 3 x 600EX RT's, Printer - Epson 3880

Mark ­ Vuleta
Goldmember
4,170 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 07, 2015 14:14 |  #6

Yes repairable. I couldn't tell you how much though. It probably doesn't affect the images except under certain conditions I.e. shooting into the sun. If you can get it cheap enough (around NZ $1500.00) I would buy it.

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 07, 2015 18:22 |  #7

Mark Vuleta wrote in post #17420404 (external link)
Yes repairable. I couldn't tell you how much though. It probably doesn't affect the images except under certain conditions I.e. shooting into the sun. If you can get it cheap enough (around NZ $1500.00) I would buy it.

I agree, there should be no great problem getting it repaired but you may need to phone around a bit. Canon do not work on them anymore and carry no spare parts, however independent service shops will work on them and they can use parts from lenses that are stripped for spares. As most lens problems will be with the mechanicals I would think, focus issues and so forth, there should be plenty of lens elements available and it will just involve a swap.

I wouldn't think that it should cost a huge amount to fix, but you have to ask yourself whether you are happy to invest in a lens that may throw up another problem in the future that parts are not easy to find for, and / or may become unusable. On the other hand, it should be a great lens when fixed and could go on for another ten years with no problems. It really comes down to how cheaply you can get it, if it is cheap then take a punt.

notastockpikr
408 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Feb 07, 2015 18:34 as a reply to  @ sandpiper's post |  #8

Canon does service the 300 f2.8 IS v1 and will support them for awhile yet.

The repair involves replacing the first element group and usually costs around $500 - $600. The front element on the v1's is basically a filter unlike the new 300's. Join CPS Gold and get 20% off. You'll make up the $100 CPS Membershipfee with this reapir.

Good luck.

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,017 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Feb 07, 2015 18:38 |  #9

sandpiper wrote in post #17420707 (external link)
I agree, there should be no great problem getting it repaired but you may need to phone around a bit. Canon do not work on them anymore and carry no spare parts, however independent service shops will work on them and they can use parts from lenses that are stripped for spares. As most lens problems will be with the mechanicals I would think, focus issues and so forth, there should be plenty of lens elements available and it will just involve a swap.

I wouldn't think that it should cost a huge amount to fix, but you have to ask yourself whether you are happy to invest in a lens that may throw up another problem in the future that parts are not easy to find for, and / or may become unusable. On the other hand, it should be a great lens when fixed and could go on for another ten years with no problems. It really comes down to how cheaply you can get it, if it is cheap then take a punt.

i think canon still services the IS I version of the lens...it hasn't been discontinued for that long

it's still on their website as a lens to choose from as well

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 07, 2015 18:42 |  #10

DreDaze wrote in post #17420731 (external link)
i think canon still services the IS I version of the lens...it hasn't been discontinued for that long

it's still on their website as a lens to choose from as well

Ah, I missed where the OP added the "IS" part, I was going by the opening post. Yes, the IS model is still serviced by Canon.

sponsored links

2,756 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help! 300mm 2.8 element repair?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.