Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 Feb 2015 (Thursday) 07:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

OFFICIAL : 5DS and 5DS R Announced

Aswald
Goldmember
1,162 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Feb 07, 2015 23:02 |  #286

http://cpn.canon-europe.com …d_Schuy_on_the_​EOS_5DS.do (external link)

One reason to have 50mp....love the end results. :lol:

sponsored links
AJSJones
Goldmember
2,647 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2001

Feb 08, 2015 00:15 |  #287

Poe wrote in post #17421049 (external link)
Well, if that's the only shortcoming, I'll stick with UniWB then. :-)

It also has colour-coded indicators when any of the channels saturates, focus peaking, exposure false colours, focus stacking, motion detection, focus trap, dual ISO extended DR bla bla bla - a ton of stuff . In some ways, it's good that the 5DS/R are so close to the 5D3 - ML should be able to work their magic quite soon after they get a body...

My picture galleries (external link)

mantra
Goldmember
1,617 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Feb 08, 2015 03:57 |  #288

Reservoir Dog wrote in post #17416318 (external link)
Photo Rumors leaked the probable EU prices of some of the gear Canon will announce on Friday, February 6th. (external link)

Canon EOS 5Ds: €3,499 (around $4,000)
Canon EOS 5Ds R (no low-pass filter): €3,699 (around $4,200)
Canon EF 11-24mm f/4L USM: €2,999 (around $3,400)

Most probably the US prices will be lower.

hi
but what should i do to buy new canon gear?
win to lottery

does somebody know when will be the camera avaible?

thanks a lot

canon 5d markII,24L & 24ts , 35L ,17-40L,24-70L,70-200 2.8ISL,50 1.4,85 1.4 , canon eos 3 ,eos 5 ,t90 , ae program and some very sweet fd lenses
3 analogic Hasselblad and 2 anologic Mamiya

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 08, 2015 04:25 |  #289

mantra wrote in post #17421251 (external link)
hi
but what should i do to buy new canon gear?
win to lottery

does somebody know when will be the camera avaible?

thanks a lot

June.

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 08, 2015 04:43 |  #290

I'm thinking that this camera may actually be an ideal wildlife camera, if it doesn't have the DR to be great for landscapes.

It has the pixel density of a crop camera combined with the sensor area of a full-frame camera. This means you have plenty of scope to crop, allowing you to track an erratic target with one point, crop around it and still end up with 20-30MP. You also have the density to deal with situations where you're focal length limited. At the same time, you have the option to zoom right out and use the entire frame, for greater image quality. Sensor-wise, it's like shooting crop and full-frame at the same time, with all the benefits and none of the disadvantages of both.

It has a top-level AF system, capable of tracking the fastest, most difficult action in the animal kingdom. If I'm not mistaken, it also has metering linked to the AF point.

Sure, it only shoots at 5fps, but that's more than fast enough for most wildlife. It may only reach ISO 6400 natively, but that's still much higher than you'd normally go when shooting wildlife anyway, and is an arbitrary limit you can push past in post-processing with no IQ penalty compared to a higher native limit.

With a 200-400L permanently attached to one of these bodies and another body switching between the 500L and the 70-200L as needed, you'd pretty much have an ideal wildlife kit - likely better than the 1Dx, which has too low a pixel density for many situations.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,982 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 08, 2015 05:56 as a reply to  @ Shadowblade's post |  #291

Same applies to aviation. A 5DS with a 600L which would work almost like a 375-600 zoom would on a crop. Add a 5D3 with the 100-400 L II and 1.4 extender and you're pretty much good to go in almost any situation you are likely to find. All I would need then is to have my buddy who was an engineering consultant to the Scrapheap Challenge TV show (I think the US version was called Junkyard Wars?) to build me a modern version of a Scarff ring to mount the camera/lens combination to my wheelchair.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Submariner
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012

Feb 08, 2015 06:02 |  #292

Scatterbrained wrote in post #17418210 (external link)
An aluminum pot is stronger than a clay pot, and lighter too. ;)

Hmmm As it was aluminium before - logic would dictate its probably dropped from 1mm thick to 0.8 mm thick No?
Now if they had said it was now made in Titanium, so lighter and therefore stronger I could see that as an improvement.
My childish logic is Weight = Strength = Durability.

The CEO of the UK's largest car third party warranty insurer. Stated that something like 90% of all claims related to suspension failures. He even said this pursuit of better m.p.g has got to the stage that the new cars just are not up to the task!

Canon EOS 5DS R, Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L Mk II IS USM, Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS USM, EF 40mm F2.8 STM , RC6 Remote. Canon STE-3 Radio Flash Controller, Canon 600 EX RT x4 , YN 560 MkII x2 ; Bowens GM500PRO x4 , Bowens Remote Control. Bowens Pulsar TX, RX Radio Transmitter and Reciever Cards. Bowens Constant 530 Streamlights 600w x 4 Sold EOS 5D Mk III, 7D, EF 50mm F1.8, 430 EX Mk II, Bowens GM500Rs x4

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 08, 2015 06:06 |  #293

Submariner wrote in post #17421335 (external link)
Hmmm As it was aluminium before - logic would dictate its probably dropped from 1mm thick to 0.8 mm thick No?
Now if they had said it was now made in Titanium, so lighter and therefore stronger I could see that as an improvement.

The CEO of the UK's largest car third party warranty insurer. Stated that something like 90% of all claims related to suspension failures. He even said this pursuit of better m.p.g has got to the stage that the new cars just are not up to the task!

Depends largely on the material and the construction. Heavier/denser materials aren't necessarily stronger.

mantra
Goldmember
1,617 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Feb 08, 2015 08:30 as a reply to  @ Shadowblade's post |  #294

thanks
so late
hope to see some tests before

canon 5d markII,24L & 24ts , 35L ,17-40L,24-70L,70-200 2.8ISL,50 1.4,85 1.4 , canon eos 3 ,eos 5 ,t90 , ae program and some very sweet fd lenses
3 analogic Hasselblad and 2 anologic Mamiya

Colorblinded
Goldmember
2,646 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 08, 2015 10:05 |  #295

tvphotog wrote in post #17420295 (external link)
This was repeated here at 14:29. https://www.youtube.co​m …w&feature=playe​r_embedded (external link)

If true I'm suddenly much more interested... if this impacts usable dynamic range.

Canon really hasn't said enough in a clear fashion about what we're really going to see here.

http://www.colorblinde​dphoto.com (external link)
http://www.thecolorbli​ndphotographer.com (external link)

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 08, 2015 10:19 |  #296

Submariner wrote in post #17421335 (external link)

It's naive logic. Different designs and manufacturing processes can wield stronger structures while also making them lighter, even using the same materials.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

light_pilgrim
922 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 08, 2015 13:29 |  #297

It is precisely what I thought about the camera - the prime prospect if the commercial studio photography and people that are either using or want to use MF. It is not really for landscape photographers due to DR limitations.

Aswald wrote in post #17421094 (external link)
http://cpn.canon-europe.com …d_Schuy_on_the_​EOS_5DS.do (external link)

One reason to have 50mp....love the end results. :lol:

www.lightpilgrim.com (external link) ||1x.com (external link) ||500px.com (external link)

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
8,805 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 08, 2015 13:32 |  #298

light_pilgrim wrote in post #17421964 (external link)
It is precisely what I thought about the camera - the prime prospect if the commercial studio photography and people that are either using or want to use MF. It is not really for landscape photographers due to DR limitations.

That's a very small niche.

Given what the likely spent in R&D on this new sensor, it would be ideal if it were appealing to a broader consumer set.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII
Zeiss Loxia 21 - Canon 24-70 2.8LII - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - Sony 50 1.8 - Sony 85GM - Sigma 135 f1.8 ART

light_pilgrim
922 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 08, 2015 13:38 |  #299

I think it will create a small revolution for commercial photography, just like 5DMKII did for video.
We need to see what happens 1 year from now when commercial photographers are going to start using it. It can be a perfect camera for studio and maybe a lot of fashion photographers will start getting it.

It looks like 5D MKIV will be towards PJ and action.

So the gap that Canon has right now is something for Landscape photographers with a very good DR. I would say that Canon covers Commercial/Studio and PJ really well and their week area is Landscape where they are lacking a product similar to D810.

mystik610 wrote in post #17421968 (external link)

Given what the likely spent in R&D on this new sensor, it would be ideal if it were appealing to a broader consumer set.

www.lightpilgrim.com (external link) ||1x.com (external link) ||500px.com (external link)

Submariner
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012

Feb 08, 2015 15:11 |  #300

mystik610 wrote in post #17421968 (external link)

But Canon might have reserved the high DR variant for the 1DXS! 50 MP - ie the perfect Studio, Commercial, and Landscape camera - plus a fantastic all round camera for the well off amateurs. That would justfy the R&D and they could sell it for £6,000!
Following their precedent of having 2 5Ds, they could even pop in 4K Video and charge £7,000 for that version. And not kill the revenue stresms of the ID- C cameras.
That would shut every one up! If you want the ultimate we have it - you just have to pay for it lol
If its possible they could even expand that for the Action Sports crowd - if its possible to push through those files at 14 fps?

After all if they put amazing DR in the 5DS! For £3,500 who would pay the extra for the 1D variants.
Just thinking aloud. It also stops people jumping ship to Nikon while they work out how to deliver these variant.
Well thats what I would do if I were them.

Canon EOS 5DS R, Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L Mk II IS USM, Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS USM, EF 40mm F2.8 STM , RC6 Remote. Canon STE-3 Radio Flash Controller, Canon 600 EX RT x4 , YN 560 MkII x2 ; Bowens GM500PRO x4 , Bowens Remote Control. Bowens Pulsar TX, RX Radio Transmitter and Reciever Cards. Bowens Constant 530 Streamlights 600w x 4 Sold EOS 5D Mk III, 7D, EF 50mm F1.8, 430 EX Mk II, Bowens GM500Rs x4

sponsored links

299,367 views & 241 likes for this thread
OFFICIAL : 5DS and 5DS R Announced
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.