Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
Thread started 08 Feb 2015 (Sunday) 19:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Can anyone identify this lovely looking bird please

Pagman
I just hold the thing :-)
8,511 posts
Gallery: 1812 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 08, 2015 19:19 |  #1

I was just very contentedly watching this bird fly past as i was somehow convinced it was just a pigeon as it flew like one, but after looking at it, its definitely not a humble pigeon:oops:

P.

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7281/16292399497_8b65a48d25_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/qPGN​KB  (external link) DSC_1118_DxO (external link) by arthur.merlin45 (external link), on Flickr

Some stuff.

sponsored links
Beekeeper
Goldmember
2,993 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined May 2010

Feb 08, 2015 19:48 |  #2

Looks like a Sharp-shinned hawk.

Zach--C&C is welcome on my photos
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/46367607@N06/ (external link)
7DI Body Gripped|7DII Gripped|EF 85mm1.8|EF 50mm1.4|EF 100mm2.8L IS Macro|EF-S 10-22mm|EF 400mm5.6L|430EXII|580E​XII

2n10
Cream of the Crop
17,062 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Feb 08, 2015 19:48 |  #3

Location would help.

John
Equipment
My Portfolio (external link)

Pagman
THREAD ­ STARTER
8,511 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 08, 2015 20:07 |  #4

Sorry everyone - Its from South Wales in the UK.

P.

Some stuff.

Beekeeper
Goldmember
2,993 posts
Joined May 2010
Post edited over 4 years ago by Beekeeper. (2 edits in all)

Feb 08, 2015 20:11 as a reply to  @ Pagman's post |  #5

Well then, it can't be a Sharp-shinned hawk. It is an Accipiter so it could be what you guys call a Sparrowhawk (Accipiter nisus)

Pretty sure it's a Sparrow hawk. I only see two Accipiters listed for Wales and the Goshawk (which this isn't) is the other one listed.

7DI Body Gripped|7DII Gripped|EF 85mm1.8|EF 50mm1.4|EF 100mm2.8L IS Macro|EF-S 10-22mm|EF 400mm5.6L|430EXII|580E​XII

Pagman
THREAD ­ STARTER
8,511 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 08, 2015 20:28 |  #6

Beekeeper wrote in post #17422708 (external link)
Well then, it can't be a Sharp-shinned hawk. It is an Accipiter so it could be what you guys call a Sparrowhawk (Accipiter nisus)

Pretty sure it's a Sparrow hawk. I only see two Accipiters listed for Wales and the Goshawk (which this isn't) is the other one listed.

Thank you for looking that up for me:-) are they common/rare or special in semi rural parts in land away from the sea?

P.

Some stuff.

Beekeeper
Goldmember
2,993 posts
Joined May 2010

Feb 08, 2015 20:43 as a reply to  @ Pagman's post |  #7

I am not sure how common they are. My interests focus on North American raptors since that is where I reside, and I am most familiar with the species found here.

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 08, 2015 21:23 |  #8

Yes, it's a sparrowhawk.

It isn't a rare bird, probably a little bit less common than the kestrel (although kestrel numbers seem to be on the decline and sparrowhawks seem to be getting more common) and found throughout the whole UK. If you have bird feeders in your garden you may well get sparrowhawks visiting as well. I recently lived in a static caravan in North Wales for 18 months, in quite a rural area, and had a pair of sparrowhawks visiting the feeder often (although as the feeder was against the side of a hedge the targets had only a quick hop to safety - I never saw the sprawks ever catch anything). The male tended to land on a post on my decking rail, just by my window, and the female tended to land on the hedge if they missed catching anything. On a couple of occasions, when out on the sundeck, I almost got hit by the female, as she adopted a tactic of coming in low and fast from around the side of the caravan to surprise anything on the feeder, she was flashing past me within a couple of feet each time before we registered each other.

Even in urban areas you will find them in gardens. Prior to Wales I lived in a semi-detached in the middle of Southport and had occasional sparrowhawks sweeping in at my bird feeder. I have seen them in towns, and cities, many times.

The numbers had been in decline until a couple of decades ago but the RSPB ran a "save the sparrowhawk" campaign and that helped the recovery. Ironically, sparrows are now in massive decline and there is a "save the sparrow" campaign. Sparrowhawks can take up to 10 small birds a day, I read somewhere, although that is unlikely to be the sparrows only problem..

Pagman
THREAD ­ STARTER
8,511 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 08, 2015 21:46 |  #9

sandpiper wrote in post #17422831 (external link)
Yes, it's a sparrowhawk.

It isn't a rare bird, probably a little bit less common than the kestrel (although kestrel numbers seem to be on the decline and sparrowhawks seem to be getting more common) and found throughout the whole UK. If you have bird feeders in your garden you may well get sparrowhawks visiting as well. I recently lived in a static caravan in North Wales for 18 months, in quite a rural area, and had a pair of sparrowhawks visiting the feeder often (although as the feeder was against the side of a hedge the targets had only a quick hop to safety - I never saw the sprawks ever catch anything). The male tended to land on a post on my decking rail, just by my window, and the female tended to land on the hedge if they missed catching anything. On a couple of occasions, when out on the sundeck, I almost got hit by the female, as she adopted a tactic of coming in low and fast from around the side of the caravan to surprise anything on the feeder, she was flashing past me within a couple of feet each time before we registered each other.

Even in urban areas you will find them in gardens. Prior to Wales I lived in a semi-detached in the middle of Southport and had occasional sparrowhawks sweeping in at my bird feeder. I have seen them in towns, and cities, many times.

The numbers had been in decline until a couple of decades ago but the RSPB ran a "save the sparrowhawk" campaign and that helped the recovery. Ironically, sparrows are now in massive decline and there is a "save the sparrow" campaign. Sparrowhawks can take up to 10 small birds a day, I read somewhere, although that is unlikely to be the sparrows only problem..

Hiya, hows things? thank you for your input i appreciate it, since moving to wales and being on the edge of the breacons i sometimes see some interesting bird life, but i have to keep my eyes peeled, so far i have seen a group of buzzards that seem to fly either on there own or in two's i have seen just the one red kite, but very very high up and now the sparrow hawk/
One day i mite see a red kite close enough to get a decent pic, that is my hope;-)a

P.

Some stuff.

sponsored links

802 views & 0 likes for this thread
Can anyone identify this lovely looking bird please
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.