Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 08 Feb 2015 (Sunday) 08:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Why Canon is Banning USA residents?

HyperYagami
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 08, 2015 23:30 |  #16

Petie53 wrote in post #17422914 (external link)
Very different than my view of photography.

understandable. for them the sole purpose of "photos" is just snapshots of their lives, no more no less. their cellphone cameras do that purpose very well for them, and no interest to create masterpieces.

5D3 and a few lens
es.

sponsored links
HyperYagami
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 08, 2015 23:33 |  #17

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #17422976 (external link)
But you're right, it'd have to be a HUGE game changer for the 'M' to ever gain anything on Fuji/Panasonic/Sony;

I really think the game charger would need to be the lens.

Even if they magically created a full-frame compact mirrorless, no one is going to take them seriously until they re-invent all those primes and ultrazooms on the EF-M mount. On the other hand, IF they come up with say a EF-M 50mm f/1.2, I'm sure lots of people will put up with it even if the bodies are relatively crippled compared to the regular sized.

5D3 and a few lens
es.

joeseph
"smells like turd"
10,151 posts
Gallery: 146 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Feb 09, 2015 03:18 |  #18

banquetbear wrote:
=banquetbear;17422195 but living in the ass end of the world

it's not quite the ass end of the world, but if you squint a bit westerly, you might catch a glimpse of it... :-)

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

Neilyb
Cream of the Crop
5,192 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Feb 09, 2015 03:49 |  #19

If Canon had created the M with an EF mount then they would not be having to do this whole money saving thing. But a Canon user who wants a mirrorless and have to first buy an adaptor thinks "Might as well buy a full frame Sony with that super IQ, need an adaptor anyways". ;)

http://natureimmortal.​blogspot.com (external link)

http://www.natureimmor​tal.com (external link)

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,104 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2007
Post edited over 4 years ago by apersson850.

Feb 09, 2015 06:12 |  #20

There are always market assessments made. US cars are rarely marketed here, for example, for the simple reason that the sophistication usually requested by car buyers here is seldom met by products designed in the US. The US manufacturers know that, and once they've forgotten (too many have retired since the last attempt?) they try again, and learn the lesson once again.

Scania doesn't market trucks in the US, well aware that the level of sophistication they ask money for isn't appreciated in North America. They sell well in South America, well enough to even assemble them there, but in their day-to-day life, North Americans tend to be more old-fashioned than almost everybody else.

Similar judgements are of course in place for every product. So for some reason, Canon decided it's not worth trying to sell the M model in the US.

Isn't the EOS M mount created to make the cameras more compact? I assume the register distance is shorter than with EOS EF.

Anders

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,011 posts
Gallery: 543 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 09, 2015 13:20 |  #21

apersson850 wrote in post #17423246 (external link)
Isn't the EOS M mount created to make the cameras more compact? I assume the register distance is shorter than with EOS EF.

About 25mm smaller I believe. So somewhere around 19-20mm compared to the 44mm of the EF/EF-s mount.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Varago
175 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 10, 2015 00:56 |  #22

FWIW:
I think that if you did a little research you would find that it was Canon USA and not Canon Japan that made the call on not selling in the US. This has been stated a few times by some of the Canon Japan VP's :)

EOS R
Canon RF 24-105 L, EF 16-35 F4 L, 50 1.8 stm, 270EX II, 320EX, 430EX II
Sigma 1.4x tc1401
Tamron 35 1.8 SP, 100-400

PineBomb
I have many notable flaws
2,470 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Joined Apr 2014

Feb 10, 2015 07:31 |  #23

Varago wrote in post #17424891 (external link)
FWIW:
I think that if you did a little research you would find that it was Canon USA and not Canon Japan that made the call on not selling in the US. This has been stated a few times by some of the Canon Japan VP's :)

I'm not sure what your point is. I haven't read these statements, but it seems obvious that Canon USA would be the final arbiter of any corporate decision to distribute in the US. Assuming that executive incentives (as well as job security) are tied to short-term sales and stock performance, and assuming their sales projections indicate continued poor sales for mirrorless in the US, should we expect a different move from them?

If a product is slated to fail in the US, you'll not likely find an executive willing to green light it. And if Canon Japan catches any heat, it's no surprise if they deflect blame.

But whether or not they're effectively judging the US market--balancing sales projections, marketing strategies for emerging products and overall profitability--is a good question.

-Matt
Website (external link) | flickr (external link) | instagram (external link) | street portrait project on instagram (external link)

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,381 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 10, 2015 07:45 |  #24

davidc502 wrote in post #17422042 (external link)
This kind of gives us an idea of just how important the USA market is.

+1 >> Money, Money and More Money.

Or maybe they are more concerned with loosing market share in the US. Right now the M series cameras do not stack up well with the competition. Even the new one seems weak. Releasing a sub-par mirrorless into the US market would cause many to evaluate the whole mirrorless field and so decide that Canon looks weak and go elsewhere. It's already happening here at POTN. There have been quite a few posts and threads about switching. Asia and Europe have warmed to mirrorless much more aggressively so they can't be ignored. Mirrorless in the US remains a niche.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

say_cheese
790 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2006

Feb 10, 2015 21:14 |  #25

apersson850 wrote in post #17423246 (external link)
There are always market assessments made. US cars are rarely marketed here, for example, for the simple reason that the sophistication usually requested by car buyers here is seldom met by products designed in the US. The US manufacturers know that, and once they've forgotten (too many have retired since the last attempt?) they try again, and learn the lesson once again.

Scania doesn't market trucks in the US, well aware that the level of sophistication they ask money for isn't appreciated in North America. They sell well in South America, well enough to even assemble them there, but in their day-to-day life, North Americans tend to be more old-fashioned than almost everybody else.

Similar judgements are of course in place for every product. So for some reason, Canon decided it's not worth trying to sell the M model in the US.

Your lack of knowledge of product design, commercial vehicle marketing, and economics is embarrassing. I suggest you continue refining that high quality Ikea furniture, and send us some better Sweedish meatballs.

Tools: I like things with real dials and knobs.

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,381 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 10, 2015 22:11 |  #26

say_cheese wrote in post #17426287 (external link)
...I suggest you continue refining that high quality Ikea furniture, and send us some better Sweedish meatballs.

Ya know, the quality of Ikea meatballs has really fallen. They use to be quite good but lately there is so much filler that they are down right mealy, almost pasty.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

HyperYagami
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 11, 2015 00:39 |  #27

say_cheese wrote in post #17426287 (external link)
Your lack of knowledge of product design, commercial vehicle marketing, and economics is embarrassing. I suggest you continue refining that high quality Ikea furniture, and send us some better Sweedish meatballs.

and I suggest you to at least make a lazy effort to provide supporting material regarding your statement...

5D3 and a few lens
es.

LonelyBoy
Goldmember
1,479 posts
Gallery: 84 photos
Joined Oct 2014

Feb 11, 2015 16:48 |  #28

HyperYagami wrote in post #17426538 (external link)
and I suggest you to at least make a lazy effort to provide supporting material regarding your statement...

Why not drop this instead of taking the thread further off-track? I typed up a big rebuttal to this but decided it was in poor form.

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/127590681@N03/ (external link)
I love a like, but feedback (including CC) is even better!

Sparky98
Goldmember
1,129 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Dec 2005
Post edited over 4 years ago by Sparky98.

Feb 11, 2015 17:30 |  #29

If you are really interested in the M3 you might check some distributors in Canada. I read on a forum, not sure it was POTN, of a couple of people that had ordered previous iterations from an outlet in Canada. They also had purchased some lenses there after the market dried up in the USA. I don't know whether or not the M3 will even be offered in Canada but it might be worth a try. I don't know what kind of warranty or support, if any, would be available for that type of purchase but it may be one way to purchase the camera.

NOTE: I checked Henry's website and they don't list the EOS M but they did have a lens available for the camera.

Joe
5DIII

HyperYagami
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 12, 2015 21:34 |  #30

Sparky98 wrote in post #17427639 (external link)
If you are really interested in the M3 you might check some distributors in Canada.

NOTE: I checked Henry's website and they don't list the EOS M but they did have a lens available for the camera.

"Canon has announced the EOS M3 in Europe and Asia", so that's a pretty definite answer.

The body is 56,800 yen, and consider how weak JPY is right now it really isn't bad to just buy it from Japan and ship it overseas.

5D3 and a few lens
es.

sponsored links

9,465 views & 1 like for this thread
Why Canon is Banning USA residents?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.