Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 08 Feb 2015 (Sunday) 17:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First Time Shooting Youth Wrestling

actionphotos
30 posts
Joined May 2014
Post edited over 3 years ago by actionphotos.

Feb 08, 2015 17:04 |  #1

My first attempt shooting Youth Wrestling. All comments and suggestions welcome!!!

Canon 5DIII 70-200 2.8 II

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
klswenson
39 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2015

Feb 09, 2015 08:30 |  #2

What were your camera settings for these wrestling pics? I just shot my kids wrestling tournament yesturday and after reviewing they turned out ok but the mats were red and with the gym lighting that affected the skin tone of my wrestlers on the JPEG files. The RAW pics I can correct this in photoshop.

actionphotos
THREAD ­ STARTER
30 posts
Joined May 2014

Feb 09, 2015 14:49 |  #3

I am certainly not an authority but

Shot 1 - 1/400 @ 2.8 ISO - 4000 - 145mm
Shot 2 - 1/500 @ 2.8 ISO - 5000 - 130mm

dlos
135 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Feb 10, 2015 12:57 |  #4

I think you did a great job getting up close and capturing the facial expressions of the wrestlers! DOF, WB and overall lighting are also well done. I recently shot some wrestling at a tournament and found it to be very difficult to compose shots where limbs weren't cut off, I really don't even know if that matters much with wrestling for that matter. Your handling of the DOF here is great, the background which is often extremely busy at these events is not at all distracting.

If I had to choose between your shots and mine, I'd take yours!

Canon 5D3 | 60D | EF 24-105mm f/4L IS |EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | EF-S 10-22mm

JohnTrav
131 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Feb 10, 2015 17:57 |  #5

Nice shots. That kids face in the second one is priceless. awesome job

Canon 5D Mark III - Canon 5D Mark II - Canon 7D - Canon 70-200 f/2.8L - Canon 24-70 f/2.8L - Canon 17-40L - Canon 85 f/1.8 - Canon 50 f/1.4 - Canon 580 exii (x2) - rokinon 8mm fishey

actionphotos
THREAD ­ STARTER
30 posts
Joined May 2014

Feb 11, 2015 18:46 |  #6

Thank you all for your comments. Quite honestly I was expecting more criticism as I am not so sure of the sharpness I captured. I think mainly due to the poorly lit gym but was hoping someone could comment on the camera setting I selected.

EKOEPP
312 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Feb 11, 2015 19:10 |  #7

actionphotos wrote in post #17422369 (external link)
My first attempt shooting Youth Wrestling. All comments and suggestions welcome!!!

Canon 5DIII 70-200 2.8 II

cool pics!

#2 is in the perfect position for the switch if he was inside the leg!! unstoppable

Canon MarkII 5D * Canon 70-200mm f/4L * Canon 17-40mm f/4L * Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II * Canon 50mm f/1.8 * Venus 60mm f/2.8 2x Ultra Macro

klswenson
39 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2015

Feb 11, 2015 21:44 as a reply to  @ actionphotos's post |  #8

I'm assuming you used custom WB to get such good coloring in the gym?

dlos
135 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Feb 12, 2015 11:37 as a reply to  @ actionphotos's post |  #9

As far as your camera settings, for a gym, you do what you have to do to get the picture. Given you were at 2.8, the narrow DOF didn't negatively impact the images at all really in regards to the wrestlers and as far as the background goes, that's what you want. Shutter speed was sufficient to freeze action where you needed it frozen and the high ISO is something you don't have much choice on unless you've got flash in the mix. Not really sure what else you could've done with settings. Every gym will be different too.

Canon 5D3 | 60D | EF 24-105mm f/4L IS |EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | EF-S 10-22mm

sponsored links

1,694 views & 0 likes for this thread
First Time Shooting Youth Wrestling
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.