Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 08 Feb 2015 (Sunday) 18:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Am I the only one?

mickeyb105
Goldmember
2,541 posts
Gallery: 397 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 09, 2015 12:12 |  #46

GeoKras1989 wrote in post #17422700 (external link)
No WIN95. One WIN7 machine and one WIN8.1.

I thought about selling my 60D/15-85 setup. I don't need $800 that badly. And I'd regret selling it. I also had a 5Dc, which I sold as antiquated when I got my 6D. Mistake! I'm keeping my 'super rebel'. It just works.

I wish I could afford a 1D-IV right now. That should be my next purchase. I need something for my older grandkids' athletic events.

Geo, for what it is worth I had success shooting high school sports with the 60D paired with faster lenses like the 100/2 and 200 2.8. Sure, the 1D4 is unreal but the 60D is capable.

Sony A99ii, RX-100ii, Sonnar T* 135mm f1.8 ZA, Planar T* 50mm F1.4 ZA, 24mm f/2 SSM Distagon T*, Minolta HS 200 2.8 APO, Minolta 2xTC APO, HVL-F43M
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
lesz42
96 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 09, 2015 15:10 |  #47

i have got the latest thing, a .......70D........... going from a 350D ( 8 years of ownership) IT was time to move on! and glad i did, you cannot compare !

anscochrome
443 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 09, 2015 18:44 |  #48

I have always said to myself (and a select handful of others) that I will keep on using my 450D and 5D Mark II until they die. Neither is showing any signs of death since 2008. However, I have a brother who "constantly" asks me about Canon DSLR capabilities, but refuses to part with the money to buy anything.

So, seeing the new 760s (T6s in the USA) would finally be a great upgrade over my 450D, I have decided I will get one of those, and give my brother the 450D, and throw a 24mm EF-S pancake on it so he has a lens to use (I don't have a 18-55mm kit lens to give him). Anything else will be up to him, I would bet once he realizes he needs a decent, calibrated monitor, and decent software to fully realize using it, he won't use it for long:)

http://anscochrome.zen​folio.com (external link)

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,540 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 09, 2015 18:54 |  #49

Really, there is a little gear obsession these days but it is nothing like it used to be. In the time from 2000-2009, successive cameras were being released with serious, non-trivial improvements in imaging and features. I think people were prone to obsessing about each new body, and with some good reason.

As time has passed, the rate of improvement has slowed (IMO). Once we reached the image performance of the 5D2, or the feature set of the 5D3 (which is, IMO the IQ of the 5D2 with most of the feature set of a 1D) I think we reached something of a plateau. The newest 5Ds and 5Dr interest me not at all, and the 1DX didn't really interest me much from the 5D3 and 1D4 I have.

There might be a few niche shooters who are hot for the DR of the latest Nikon/Sony bodies, or who are hot for the 50MP Canon offer. But more and more I sense a kind of collusion between contentment (where something like a 5D3 can do most everything one needs) with stagnation (where new bodies are just not offering any kind of significant step change).

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

blackgold59
154 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 10, 2015 08:46 |  #50

You are by far not alone, I own both the 60d and 6d and I can honestly say to anyone out there you wouldn't regret either and I'm at the point now where I have all I need camera wise, lens wise is another story of course, still working on picking up a few more of those. To me the lens are most important now since I have two very capable camera's for what I need them to do and I'm sitting tight on both of them!

I've often thought about selling one, but the question I've asked myself is which one...I love them both for what they both do, one's faster then the other while the other has better high ISO capabilities. I used my 60d heavily last summer for taking my granddaughters soccer game shots, it had no problems keeping up and shooting continuous, where I know my 6d would fail.

I'm not the type too spend money on pricey items I really feel I can get by without, and I'm at the point where lenses are where it's at now. From most of what I've seen out there picture wise, it really isn't so much in the camera especially when one is talking of today's camera's, it in the lens and even more into the photoshop techniques.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,917 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Feb 10, 2015 09:08 |  #51

y'all don't tell anyone, but i actually used my XSi the other day!

I even had plenty of DR!!

i know, crazy isn't it?!!!

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

KurtB
208 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Feb 10, 2015 16:25 |  #52

Up until this past November, I was still shooting everything with my 30D (lots of High School Sports and family events with some professional & semi-pro theater & concert performances).

I finally moved it into "2nd body" status when I purchased a 7DmkII, but I am still using it on a regular basis.

7Dmk2, Tokina 12-24 f/4, Canon EF-S 18-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, Canon 70-200 f/4L IS, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS III, Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2, a few other cheap lenses, lots of little stuff, flashes, stands, and almost enough brains to be considered dangerous :confused:

AngelofDepth
557 posts
Joined Dec 2014

Feb 11, 2015 08:10 |  #53

My 6D is two years old and I expect to be using it as my main camera for at least another three years. Eventually, when I do upgrade I'm sure it will be a big step up with a minimum of 5 years between new cameras.

flickr (external link)

GeoKras1989
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Feb 11, 2015 09:05 |  #54
bannedPermanent ban

I agree with those who feel no need to upgrade bodies. I have a 60D and 6D, and for the most part, they do what I need done. Although sometimes a 1D-IV would be nice at my grandsons' soccer games. I don't currently have a mid range, walk around zoom for full frame. If one existed that suited my needs, I'd buy it. Alas, no such critter. Basically, I'd like a 15-85 for full frame. I am well-covered with primes, so I can afford to be picky. My (irrational?) opinions of the current offerings follow:

24-105: Canon's worst L. Wide distortion, general lack of resolution. It is a 28-135 with better borders.
Σ24-105: Big, heavy, optically equivalent to above.
24-70 II: Big, heavy, expensive.
24-70 f/4: On the expensive side, but most tempting of the lot. And I could sell my efs 60 macro.
Tamron 24-70: Expensive, QC issues. Good warranty, though.

I shoot my zooms mostly at f/5.6-11, so f/2.8 is kind of irrelevant. It is also pretty slow compared to f/1.4 or 1.8. Perhaps I am missing a possibility?

WARNING: I often dispense advice in fields I know little about!

guntoter
Goldmember
2,409 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 11, 2015 09:41 |  #55

A photographer friend of mine shoots a 60D and he loves it. Not to say that he doesn't want to get better (especially FF) someday. However, he is very satisfied with the 60D.

Joel
GEAR
Flickr (external link)

LonelyBoy
Goldmember
1,482 posts
Gallery: 84 photos
Joined Oct 2014

Feb 11, 2015 09:58 |  #56

Eh, I have an SL1, which is "current" but not exactly a shining beacon of new features. My next body may very well be a 1D3, if I can get myself around to its size. Those images are just too pretty, even if they're "only" 10mp. Side effect of the complaints people have about Canon's lack of sensor development is that "old" cameras have pretty close performance.

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/127590681@N03/ (external link)
I love a like, but feedback (including CC) is even better!

TenaCJed
935 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2006

Feb 13, 2015 11:52 |  #57

Well up until I got the 7dMii for Christmas, I was shooting with 40D. I waited a while before I finally decided it was time to upgrade!

John W
C&C always welcome
What a long... strange trip it's been...
My Site (external link)
My Gear

saultspics
32 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2015

Feb 17, 2015 07:08 |  #58

I am still using a 60D and a 28-70 2.8L lens from my film days. It still works great.

Frodge
Goldmember
3,087 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Feb 17, 2015 08:22 |  #59

I really do think that most people, and I stress the word most, upgrade because of gear lust. Most of these cameras are more than capable for most of the work being done with them. I do like gettin new toys myself, but if I'm to be honest, most of these upgrades are not necessary.

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,917 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Feb 17, 2015 08:56 |  #60

This site just kills my pocketbook. I'm mostly done spending money on gear, but it's been an expensive two years. I love my 6D. When the 1DxII comes out I might start looking at a 1D4 or a 7DII for something a bit quicker for sports and such. That's not really what I shoot, but I know from my experience with my 6D so far that it is not suited for that style of photography.

Getting better at this - Fuji X-t3 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 16 1.4 - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

sponsored links

20,761 views & 10 likes for this thread
Am I the only one?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.