Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Sep 2014 (Monday) 11:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= 7D2 owners unite! Discuss and post photos!

TenaCJed
935 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2006

Feb 09, 2015 08:35 |  #3826

I do not understand why some people feel you must have full frame to do landscapes. When I first became series about photography, it was with wildlife in mind. I started with a Rebel XT, but right away wish I would have gone for the 30D. It did not take long though before I enjoyed shooting landscapes as well. Pretty much all of the photo's on my site are from the Rebel XT, 40D, and some from a rented 50D and 7D.

The major difference with full frame is basically lower noise (which it seems the 7DMII comes pretty close to catching up) and field of view. I can only recall maybe 2 times that I could not go wide enough with my crop camera and my 15-85mm lens. If I had a 10-Xmm or 11-Xmm lens, I would have been fine. It is a matter of understanding the differences, and getting the lenses that help make up for that difference.

Crop camera bodies can still take excellent landscapes, they are not just for wildlife. If you are 50/50 on what you like to shoot, I think you could go either way. If you are more into landscapes, then full frame may be the better option. If you are more into wildlife, then I would recommend crop.

If money does not matter, then just get the best in the 1D series!

John W
C&C always welcome
What a long... strange trip it's been...
My Site (external link)
My Gear

sponsored links
TenaCJed
935 posts
Joined May 2006

Feb 09, 2015 09:00 |  #3827

I have not posted anything 7dMii yet, so here are a couple from Sax Zim Bog from right before New Years. I decided to send mine to Canon after I signed up for CPS Gold. I did MFA, but still had some shots soft that should not have been, focusing was occasionally not hitting right. I received the same response as everyone else, electronic adjustments made. I have not had a chance to go back out since I received it back.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

John W
C&C always welcome
My Site (external link)
My Gear

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
16,028 posts
Gallery: 2548 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited over 6 years ago by Pondrader. (3 edits in all)

Feb 09, 2015 09:20 |  #3828

John do you feel that the effort was worth it, meaning I guess do you see a difference or feel a difference in your images?? I do not get every shot in focus... never have. So I wonder if it is something I should look at ?? Im not saying at all that I'm having troubles but one always wonders. Remember I only post the good stuff

GrayJay is my All Time Fav

IMAGE: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8604/16212370626_7a9d5cf5ba_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/qGCC​Xu  (external link) IMG_8095 (external link) by Jeff Manser (external link), on Flickr

Jeff ........, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

TenaCJed
935 posts
Joined May 2006

Feb 09, 2015 09:57 |  #3829

At this point I cannot say, I have not had a chance to do any testing or get out and do in field shots. I generally hit the back focus button frequently, even in the situation with the Gray Jay. It was not moving, other than head. I still will hit the back focus button occasionally, just incase focus is not on. Previously with 40D or rented 7D pretty much all shots in this situation would be good. However with the 7dMii that was not the case. I would have some front focus in this situation, and some right on.

Hopefully after Canon made changes I will see results similar to previous bodies I have used.

Oh, Gray Jays are great to sit there and watch!

John W
C&C always welcome
My Site (external link)
My Gear

RodS57
Goldmember
1,044 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Feb 09, 2015 10:35 |  #3830

gschlact wrote in post #17422808 (external link)
So where on any of the not in focus shots was the plane of sharpest focus? More importantly, how are other lenses working on your 7dii in ai servo?

I couldn't find any area in sharp focus when the train was approaching. There were a couple of fairly sharp shots when the train was parallel to my position but then the distance wasn't changing by much or very slowly (train was traveling from 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock and I was standing at 7 o'clock. Clear shots at 5 o'clock.) forgot to mention I was using case 2 with focus priority set to first and second shot. Wasn't looking for trains:-)

This would be only the third time the camera wasn't in one shot focus. The first time was right out of the box with no adjustments. Cross ways movement which came out better than the train. Again on Saturday at 1/1250 and F8. Based on those results I pulled MFA from +4/+7 back to +2/+3. I now have it pushed up to +4/+5 and need to try again.

Someone else mentioned soft shots with object coming toward them and not lateral movement.

Also need to apologize for posting this in this thread. I am also following the focus issue thread. Posted to wrong one.

Rod

>>> Pictures? What pictures? <<<<

Methodical
Cream of the Crop
7,835 posts
Gallery: 235 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008
Post edited over 6 years ago by Methodical.

Feb 09, 2015 11:40 |  #3831

Pondrader wrote in post #17423437 (external link)
John do you feel that the effort was worth it, meaning I guess do you see a difference or feel a difference in your images?? I do not get every shot in focus... never have. So I wonder if it is something I should look at ?? Im not saying at all that I'm having troubles but one always wonders. Remember I only post the good stuff

This was my situation, too, and I sent mine in just to have them evaluate it and they found what I found (I only told them AF was inconsistent); the camera was front focusing. I had football images that clearly showed focus was in front of the player via the grass. They made some adjustments and mine is a lot sharper. The what if's were just killing me, so after Big Country reported his results from Canon NJ, I sent mine to them also and happy I did. I still Maf my lenses just to get as much out of the lens I could and noticed the 600II needed 45% less adjustment after going to Canon.

I get more in focus images now than I did before sending it in for service. Also, I never get all images sharp; some are always sharper than others.

Rod, if it were me, I'd send it in for evaluation, just to be sure and maybe rule out the camera.

Gear
MethodicalImages (external link)
Flickr (external link)
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

Pondrader
16,028 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited over 6 years ago by Pondrader.

Feb 09, 2015 13:49 as a reply to  @ Methodical's post |  #3832

Thats what I was looking for thanks

flickr (external link)

tyr-sog
750 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2014

Feb 09, 2015 14:40 as a reply to  @ Pondrader's post |  #3833

That's great. Even looks better on flickr at a larger size. Nice detail. What lens?

Justin
Nikon Df

RodS57
Goldmember
1,044 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Feb 09, 2015 16:28 |  #3834

Methodical wrote in post #17423651 (external link)
This was my situation, too, and I sent mine in just to have them evaluate it and they found what I found (I only told them AF was inconsistent); the camera was front focusing. I had football images that clearly showed focus was in front of the player via the grass. They made some adjustments and mine is a lot sharper. The what if's were just killing me, so after Big Country reported his results from Canon NJ, I sent mine to them also and happy I did. I still Maf my lenses just to get as much out of the lens I could and noticed the 600II needed 45% less adjustment after going to Canon.

I get more in focus images now than I did before sending it in for service. Also, I never get all images sharp; some are always sharper than others.

Rod, if it were me, I'd send it in for evaluation, just to be sure and maybe rule out the camera.

Looks like sending it in is the best option. At this point I have the tamron set where it seems to work best. Gonna see if I can find a suitable location and conditions to set up a tripod and do some panning shots with the tamron and the 70-300L both at 300 to compare focusing. want to give this my best shot before sending it anywhere. Both lens work fine on my T3i which, I know, doesn't mean beans with another body. If nothing comes out then it is either me or the camera. At this point someone saying it is not the camera would allow me to concentrate on the real problem.

I live in Canada so NJ sounds good but not a real option. Just hope the one I send it to can do good work. Right now I have until late April before things start to come to life here bird wise. With expected turn around time of five weeks I have a little time to try some more.

Rod

>>> Pictures? What pictures? <<<<

Pondrader
16,028 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited over 6 years ago by Pondrader.

Feb 09, 2015 18:06 as a reply to  @ tyr-sog's post |  #3835

Justin that was shot with the 70-200L IS with the 1.4III

Same with this BlueJay

IMAGE: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8666/15626051203_6b4084fc5b_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/pNPA​BV  (external link) IMG_8075 (external link) by Jeff Manser (external link), on Flickr

flickr (external link)

kesterc
228 posts
Gallery: 107 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined May 2013

Feb 09, 2015 19:51 |  #3836

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7450/16285753468_042af841d5_o.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/qP7K​7U  (external link) Blue-headed Parrot (Pionus menstruus) (external link)

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7317/16279459460_86fc099651_o.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/qNyu​8w  (external link) Eared Dove (Zenaida auriculata) (external link)

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7299/16265714648_333c785a08_o.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/qMm3​h1  (external link) Blackish Nightjar (Caprimulgus nigrescens) (external link)

flickr (external link)
Canon 7D Mk II | 6D | Canon 500 f/4L IS | 300 f/4L IS | 24-105 f/4L IS | 1.4x/2.0x III
600EX-RT | 430EX II | Gitzo 4542LS + Wimberley WH-200

Pondrader
16,028 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Feb 09, 2015 20:03 |  #3837

Wow sun shine, only have 4 more month to go and I to can shoot in great light. lol

flickr (external link)

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,843 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Feb 09, 2015 20:14 as a reply to  @ Pondrader's post |  #3838

but you do get the light reflecting up from the snow.... that has been making your shots amazing of late. Nice, soft light.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

Pondrader
16,028 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Feb 09, 2015 20:18 |  #3839

yes sometimes there is that but as of late the light is so very harsh and the cloudy days are just to dark for that luminous light. I find the sun brutal right now, and the shadow very dark blue. A good overcast day would make me smile.

flickr (external link)

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,843 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Feb 09, 2015 20:48 as a reply to  @ Pondrader's post |  #3840

I was referring to your comment about those grey days... soft light above reflected up from the snow..... I agree that bright light is brutal. I seem to prefer later afternoon. I haven't had much success early in the morning, though the bird activity is great. I can't seem to get the grain out, if you know what I mean. I can go the NR route but I seem to lose too much detail, at least, for me. Late afternoon light gives me more options for shutter, ISO and aperture.

Of course, I'm still learning this wildlife/bird thingie.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

sponsored links

10,259,230 views & 101,087 likes for this thread
-= 7D2 owners unite! Discuss and post photos!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.