Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 07 Feb 2015 (Saturday) 12:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

760D REBEL T6S vs 70D.

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
1,369 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Feb 07, 2015 12:42 |  #1

At last Canon is competition for Nikon. Looking at the spec sheet for the new 760D makes me a bit miffed that I bought my 70D in December. There's the dual Pixel AF system of the 70D, plus Digic 6, and the new metering system as well as a 24MP sensor as well as NFC (something I would use), in body stabilisation for my non IS lensesand HDR video. It looks to have everything the 70D has and more. The only thing missing is the weaweatherproofing, but I don't have weatherproof lenses. What makes my 70D better, if anything? I do shoot a lot of video for my church but only at 640/480. Build quality is the only difference I can envisage. Or am I missing the point somewhere?

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

sponsored links
botw
Goldmember
1,154 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 07, 2015 13:14 |  #2

The new Rebels do NOT have dual pixel AF. That's only on the 70d, 7d2, and the cinema cameras. Nor do they have in body IS. The 70d also has better controls and is commonly available for less than 800.

But that said, the new ones will likely have equal or better IQ. That's technology. You just have to live with it.

www.gc5photography.com (external link)

crbinson
604 posts
Joined Jul 2012
Post edited over 4 years ago by crbinson.

Feb 07, 2015 13:22 |  #3

T6s
Has: 24MP, DIGIC6, and NFC
Does Not Have: Dual Pixel CMOS AF, MFA, max 1/8000, X-sync 250, 7 FPS, 98% VF, near the battery life

My Flickr (external link) | My Gear List

Colin ­ Glover
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,369 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Feb 07, 2015 15:47 |  #4

Well I read both dp review and tech radar, and one said it had the same after system from the 70D, amd stated the 19 cross type points. It mentioned the dual Pixel bit as well. I'll check it out again amd post again.

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

crbinson
604 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Feb 07, 2015 18:23 as a reply to  @ Colin Glover's post |  #5

Did get the 19 focus point upgrade. Did not get the Dual Pixel CMOS AF. Both are all about Live View and Video focusing. From DP Review:

Canon's new Hybrid CMOS AF III makes its way into both models and uses sensor-based phase detection points for increased focus speed and accuracy in live view. It also permits for Servo AF in live view on the T6s, which lets you track moving subjects in live view. Canon claims that the performance of Hybrid CMOS III should be close to that of Dual Pixel AF (found in the EOS 70D and 7D II) and we're keen to see for ourselves when we receive shipping-quality cameras.

My Flickr (external link) | My Gear List

Colin ­ Glover
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,369 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited over 4 years ago by Colin Glover. (3 edits in all)

Feb 08, 2015 10:19 |  #6

Apologies. Must've misinterpreted it. Having said that, the gap between the Rebels and the XXD series is narrowing. Maybe it should have been the 65D? It's a great thing that the gap is narrower, but I wonder if we'll end up with the high end rebels merged into the EOS line, and a very basic rebel section?

gremlin75
Goldmember
2,727 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 08, 2015 15:27 |  #7

Colin Glover wrote in post #17421658 (external link)
Apologies. Must've misinterpreted it. Having said that, the gap between the Rebels and the XXD series is narrowing. Maybe it should have been the 65D? It's a great thing that the gap is narrower, but I wonder if we'll end up with the high end rebels merged into the EOS line, and a very basic rebel section?

I see this as the XXd line coming to an end. The gap between the 70d and t6s is small enough that I don't see canon releasing an 80d. If they do they'll have to make it closer to the 7d II to make it worth while.

Colin ­ Glover
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,369 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited over 4 years ago by Colin Glover.

Feb 09, 2015 17:43 |  #8

gremlin75 wrote in post #17422164 (external link)
I see this as the XXd line coming to an end. The gap between the 70d and t6s is small enough that I don't see canon releasing an 80d. If they do they'll have to make it closer to the 7d II to make it worth while.

Actually I see it the other way around. Canon charges more for XXD series bodies, so eliminating the high end rebels, and leaving a wide gap between the 1300/1400D (when they get released) and the 80D will bring out desirability and entice people to want to upgrade. The Rebels will only exist as a cheap way to introduce photographers to Dslr photography.

gremlin75
Goldmember
2,727 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by gremlin75.

Feb 09, 2015 18:20 |  #9

I'm sure it will all depend on how the sales of the t6s do compared to that of the 70D. But at this point the rebel s series is definitely going to eat into the sales of the 70D. If it has better low ISO abalitys then the 70D then it might even be a better choice, for some people, then the 70D.

But we'll have to wait and see how this new sensor is. Personally I wasn't impressed with the 70D sensor.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,202 posts
Gallery: 1640 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 09, 2015 18:52 |  #10

Heya,

Ef-s Precision Matte Focus Screen
MFA
1/8000s
7 FPS

They're different beasts for different people. The 70D has specific features that a few people are more likely to go for. The T6i is a general tool, with good features, but lacks a few specific ones.

In my book, if the camera has MFA, can take precision matte screens natively (use for fast manual primes), and is fast so it can be used for action, then it's something I'd go for.

Then again, I have no interest in any of them.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

jhartley
110 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Feb 10, 2015 06:14 |  #11

I bought a 70D in January and at first when I was reading the specs on the new cameras I was like WTF this is so close to the 70D. the weather seal isn't that important for me but nice to know it's there just in case and to me worth the difference between the T6S and 70D. At first all the minor things that the 70D does have over the T6S seemed more and more significant but makes me happy to see them coming out with what looks to be a rather promising and solid beginner camera.

70D 18-135 STM, 10-22mm, 24mm STM, 40mm STM, 55-250 STM, 270EX II

Kerrits
76 posts
Joined May 2008

Feb 11, 2015 03:53 |  #12

Back when I bought my 450D, the jump in price to the 40D was so much that I didn't even consider it. Now with the xxxxD, xxxD, xxD and xD lines, you are enticed to just pay that little bit more to get the next model.

The xxxD line is also no longer the true entry level camera, that belongs to the xxxxD line, which effectively replaced what the original Rebel was all about. I see them making the cheaper cameras closer to each other in terms of features in price to try and up-sell, and then continue offering a camera the xD line that is great for one thing. For example 6D for image quality, but worse AF. Or the 7D for excellent focussing, but worse IQ. Or the 5Ds, with insane resolution, but again not the great FPS or focussing of the 7D or even the high ISO performance of the 6D.

Canon will have something to suit many different needs at many different price points. I like it.

quickben
Fairy Gapped
1,511 posts
Joined Mar 2004

Feb 11, 2015 04:21 |  #13

Kerrits wrote in post #17426641 (external link)
Back when I bought my 450D, the jump in price to the 40D was so much that I didn't even consider it. Now with the xxxxD, xxxD, xxD and xD lines, you are enticed to just pay that little bit more to get the next model.

The xxxD line is also no longer the true entry level camera, that belongs to the xxxxD line, which effectively replaced what the original Rebel was all about. I see them making the cheaper cameras closer to each other in terms of features in price to try and up-sell, and then continue offering a camera the xD line that is great for one thing. For example 6D for image quality, but worse AF. Or the 7D for excellent focussing, but worse IQ. Or the 5Ds, with insane resolution, but again not the great FPS or focussing of the 7D or even the high ISO performance of the 6D.

Canon will have something to suit many different needs at many different price points. I like it.

I agree. I hope they keep all the model lines going. My original plan was to go for a 6D in a month or so, but now I think I'll buy a 760D and then add whatever the replacement for the 6D is at a later date. I'd love a 5DsR but they're just way too expensive. I hope they keep the 100D mini rebel line going as well.

Fighting the war against the unnecessary use of the Book Worthy Smiley
My name is Gary, not Ben.
6D 24-70/2.8VC 85/1.8

quickben
Fairy Gapped
1,511 posts
Joined Mar 2004

Feb 11, 2015 04:27 |  #14

When you think about it, you get a lot for your money these days with the rebel line, especially the 760D. Back when I bought my first dslr, I went for the 10D instead of the 300D because some features I felt I needed were missing on the rebel but included in the next line up. Nowadays, you get a very feature-rich camera for a reasonable sum in a xxxD body. Obviously, I'm talking purely in Canon terms here.

Fighting the war against the unnecessary use of the Book Worthy Smiley
My name is Gary, not Ben.
6D 24-70/2.8VC 85/1.8

Colin ­ Glover
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,369 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Feb 11, 2015 10:48 |  #15

Well, on specs alone, Nikon blew Canon out of the water at each price point. Canon has made sure that unlike the Rebels before it, thespecially 760D and to a lesser extent the 750D is worth owners of the model below it (700D) upgrading. The 24MP sensor and 10 extra cross type focus points make it worthwhile, not counting the top plate and scroll wheel. Don't forget folks go entry level and then desire upgrades. The magazines have always said if you are one model below it's not worth the upgrade, but this changes everything. With Samsungs 28 MP aps -c sensor NX1 getting 5* reviews, how long till we see a 36MP rebel or entry level nikon or Alpha?
Ya

sponsored links

23,498 views & 5 likes for this thread
760D REBEL T6S vs 70D.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.