Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 12 Nov 2014 (Wednesday) 14:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D Mark II - Focus Discussions

kesterc
228 posts
Gallery: 107 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined May 2013

Feb 07, 2015 19:16 |  #1681

Archibald wrote in post #17420718 (external link)
Over which sea? The policy of Canon US is that they will ship repaired items only to US addresses. But they will accept an item from anywhere I think - they accepted mine, from Canada. But you need a US address for the return.

I'm in South America.

I had to send a 300mm f/4 for repair last year and I remember reading that they don't accept packages that originate from overseas. To get around that, I just shipped the lens to a family member in Miami and then he sent it to them in NJ. That's not an option for me, right now.

I do have a U.S. freight forwarding address for my online purchases from Amazon, B&H, etc. You think I can just use that as my return address and send them the camera direct with Fedex ?

flickr (external link)
Canon 7D Mk II | 6D | Canon 500 f/4L IS | 300 f/4L IS | 24-105 f/4L IS | 1.4x/2.0x III
600EX-RT | 430EX II | Gitzo 4542LS + Wimberley WH-200

sponsored links
Archibald
You must be quackers!
9,199 posts
Gallery: 416 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Feb 07, 2015 20:01 |  #1682

kesterc wrote in post #17420783 (external link)
I'm in South America.

I had to send a 300mm f/4 for repair last year and I remember reading that they don't accept packages that originate from overseas. To get around that, I just shipped the lens to a family member in Miami and then he sent it to them in NJ. That's not an option for me, right now.

I do have a U.S. freight forwarding address for my online purchases from Amazon, B&H, etc. You think I can just use that as my return address and send them the camera direct with Fedex ?

I don't know the answer, and can only relate my own experience. In my case it worked (I had access to a US address). Best would be to phone Canon and ask if they would accept your parcel. I don't think they would have any interest in your US forwarding address. They would just ship to the address you provide. It would have to be able to receive courier items and sign for them.

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 90D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

huntersdad
Goldmember
4,655 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 08, 2015 21:14 |  #1683

Bianchi wrote in post #17420771 (external link)
Huntersdad, good to see you returned #3, I knew there were issues from the pictures you posted. Please tell me you didn't take another camera from the same vendor. Hopefully you tried my suggestion a few pages back.

First 2 were from Adorama, they were returned. Third was from my local store, I bought their last one. Returned it the local store, so I know this camera is from a new order. Seems pretty good with the 100-400 thus far, but that was never the issue.

Facebook (external link)

http://WWW.BLENDEDLIGH​TPHOTOGRAPHY.COM (external link)
1DxII x 2 / 24-70L II / 70-200L II / 85 1.4L / 300 II / AD600Pros

Miaramra
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Feb 2015

Feb 09, 2015 05:12 |  #1684

Hi, I suspected I have the exact same problem and after reading your posting I am certain I do. I've the camera since mid December 2014 in Australia.
I mixed results with a EF 100-400mm Canon lens. When the image in focus its brilliant but unfortunately most shots are not. Two day ago fire off over a hundred shots and I have zero 'keepers'.
How did you go about obtaining another body? I'm really disappointed with the camera thus far.

Markd102
649 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined May 2011

Feb 10, 2015 17:08 |  #1685

I'm very happy with mine...... As long as i don't shoot wide open!
If I shoot at f4 with my 70-200 f2.8L, I get consistently sharp images. But at f2.8 they are consistently soft. This is doable in summer for summer sports in good light, but as soon as winter comes and I'm trying to get football in dark rainy conditions....... I NEED MY 2.8!

We just got a new 300mm f4 at work...... The last thing I want is to take it out and have to shoot at f5.6!

RodS57
897 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Feb 10, 2015 18:40 |  #1686

The other day I posted focus issues to the "discuss and post photos" thread when it should have been posted here so a quick recap: oncoming train shot in ai servo at 1/2000 and F7.1; case 2 first and second shot set to focus. All were out of focus. It was suggested that I send the camera in to either fix the problem or confirm there is nothing wrong.

Today I ran another set of tests and viewed the shots at 63% zoom. Had the camera on center focus point; 'M' mode; F7.1; 1/1250 sec; case 2

Took shots with and without a tripod of cars and trucks coming toward and going away from me. Took sets of shots with the tamron set to 300mm and the 70-300L at 300. Being rather generous with the scoring considering the zoom level I ended up with 75 usable shots and 8 unusable shots. (Remember I said generous with the scoring). Nothing razor sharp.

I obtained close to perfect results with shots of a car passing the end of my driveway. Sort of like shooting between buildings. The snow banks are higher than the passing traffic. The tamron worked very well. The canon not quite as good but the truck was white in a world of snow and I haven't spent the time with this lens that I have with the tamron.

Lots of shots of static objects which came out good. Had reasonable results with a flying raven even though I was only using center point and didn't manage to keep it on target.

gschlact
Yesterday it definitely looked like this camera needed to be sent to canon. Today I am not sure. What will tomorrow bring.

Pondrader
As you live in a climate close to my own is it possible my focus issues are temperature related. -19C at lunchtime today and the camera worked better than any other time. Soft shots on Saturday and Sunday when ambient temp was around -30C. A few weeks ago I tried the cereal box focus test outside at about -30 or below and even with a tripod the shots were a disaster. Anyone else with experience in these conditions feel free to comment. In particular anyone using the tamron 150-600

Gone from I don't think I have a problem to looks like I have a problem to maybe it's all ok vmad

Rod

>>> Pictures? What pictures? <<<<

britt777
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Feb 10, 2015 18:52 |  #1687

This was my attempt at taking photos today. Absolutely awful, can't get any more focused than this. Image was totally out of focus.....Grrrr. I had a feeling I was going to end up with a bad copy of this camera....grrrr!!! :(

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Brittany
www.shutterprophotogra​phy.com (external link)

Markd102
649 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined May 2011

Feb 10, 2015 18:56 |  #1688

RodS57 wrote in post #17426028 (external link)
Gone from I don't think I have a problem to looks like I have a problem to maybe it's all ok vmad

Yeah, it's the inconsistency that does my head in!

skid00skid00
511 posts
Joined Mar 2004

Feb 10, 2015 20:03 |  #1689

britt777 wrote in post #17426053 (external link)
This was my attempt at taking photos today. Absolutely awful, can't get any more focused than this. Image was totally out of focus.....Grrrr. I had a feeling I was going to end up with a bad copy of this camera....grrrr!!! :(

The AF point focused on the most contrasty pixels within the area, which was the background reeds. This is normal and expected. That's how AF works. You need to get closer on a head-sized target, or focus on the body.

huntersdad
Goldmember
4,655 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 10, 2015 20:08 |  #1690

skid00skid00 wrote in post #17426158 (external link)
The AF point focused on the most contrasty pixels within the area, which was the background reeds. This is normal and expected. That's how AF works. You need to get closer on a head-sized target, or focus on the body.

I would concur on this one. Subject is to small in the frame. Spot focus would have helped possibly.

Facebook (external link)

britt777
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Feb 10, 2015 20:17 |  #1691

skid00skid00 wrote in post #17426158 (external link)

I was focused right on the head. Not sure I understand why it would focus on the reeds?

Brittany

RodS57
897 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Feb 10, 2015 20:26 |  #1692

Markd102 wrote in post #17426062 (external link)
Yeah, it's the inconsistency that does my head in!

Well, including myself I know three people that have bought a canon camera in the past two years.
t4i - bad flash unit that had to be replaced (bought 2 years ago)
My 7D2 - focus issues ?? (Bought 3 months ago)
70D - possible focus issues (bought 2 weeks ago)

Just checked a website and they are listing the 5Ds for $4100 Canadian (body only)
All things considered I'd give them $100 for it.

Rod

>>> Pictures? What pictures? <<<<

huntersdad
Goldmember
4,655 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 10, 2015 20:27 |  #1693

RodS57 wrote in post #17426028 (external link)
The other day I posted focus issues to the "discuss and post photos" thread when it should have been posted here so a quick recap: oncoming train shot in ai servo at 1/2000 and F7.1; case 2 first and second shot set to focus. All were out of focus. It was suggested that I send the camera in to either fix the problem or confirm there is nothing wrong.

Today I ran another set of tests and viewed the shots at 63% zoom. Had the camera on center focus point; 'M' mode; F7.1; 1/1250 sec; case 2

Took shots with and without a tripod of cars and trucks coming toward and going away from me. Took sets of shots with the tamron set to 300mm and the 70-300L at 300. Being rather generous with the scoring considering the zoom level I ended up with 75 usable shots and 8 unusable shots. (Remember I said generous with the scoring). Nothing razor sharp.

I obtained close to perfect results with shots of a car passing the end of my driveway. Sort of like shooting between buildings. The snow banks are higher than the passing traffic. The tamron worked very well. The canon not quite as good but the truck was white in a world of snow and I haven't spent the time with this lens that I have with the tamron.

Lots of shots of static objects which came out good. Had reasonable results with a flying raven even though I was only using center point and didn't manage to keep it on target.

gschlact
Yesterday it definitely looked like this camera needed to be sent to canon. Today I am not sure. What will tomorrow bring.

Pondrader
As you live in a climate close to my own is it possible my focus issues are temperature related. -19C at lunchtime today and the camera worked better than any other time. Soft shots on Saturday and Sunday when ambient temp was around -30C. A few weeks ago I tried the cereal box focus test outside at about -30 or below and even with a tripod the shots were a disaster. Anyone else with experience in these conditions feel free to comment. In particular anyone using the tamron 150-600

Rod

I can't seem to find your pics, but the first thing that comes to mind reading your description of the shooting situation is heat shimmer. Super cold with heat coming off the train would be a recipe for disaster. I have experienced this shooting ducks on the edge of a lake at close and far ranges with both my 7d2 and 1Dx. Images get made but nothing is in focus - like there is a haze. A tripod will not help in this case.

Your tests today sound more logical, though heat shimmer could still come into play with the exhaust once the vehicle has passed, even as it is approaching with engine heat. I did a similar test with similar results when I first tried the camera. I chalked the results up to shutter speeds too low to stop cars traveling city road speeds. Your driveway test would kinda confirm that, assuming you live in a neighborhood with a lower speed limit.

Find a way to try something moving but not putting off heat. A bike rider, someone running towards you. You need to do it head on and side to side. Some lenses can't handle head on very well (Sigma 50-150 OS that comes to mind from personal experience) so the Tamron may struggle with keeping up on something like that. If it nails the side to side, but not the head on, you'll have a pretty good answer. You're 70-300 should handle that easily.

Just a couple thoughts.

Facebook (external link)

britain
811 posts
Gallery: 187 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Feb 10, 2015 20:51 |  #1694

Must have a good copy. Only a few "Op" errors for OOF. Shot the BA in the heat of the day , bad conditions with the older 100-400.

IMAGE: http://icorva.com/Photography/7D2/2.5.2015/heat.jpg

7D2, 20D , 100-400L I, 100-400L II, EFS 17-85 , EFS 18-135, EFS 10-18mm, 100 2.8 macro , ring light, 430EX II, PD Capture Pro, Lifted modified Jeep to shake it all up:)

My Website HERE (external link)

britt777
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Feb 10, 2015 20:56 |  #1695

Here is a picture taken using the recommended Spot focus-Single shot. Focused on eye and still totally out of focus. Please help. I know this can't be me. Is there a setting or something I'm missing. I really don't want to think its the darn camera.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Brittany

sponsored links

1,405,496 views & 2,732 likes for this thread
7D Mark II - Focus Discussions
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.