Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 11 Feb 2015 (Wednesday) 12:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D2 Magnify Question

Triplexbee
183 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2013
Post edited over 4 years ago by Triplexbee.

Feb 11, 2015 12:49 |  #1

I am coming from the 7D where I assigned image review to the set button and then used the thumb buttons to zoom into my image to check detail, focus etc. It was quick and easy and more importantly I could keep my left hand gripped to the lens.

Now this could just be that I have missed it in the manual but I can't find a way to do this on the 7D2. I have assigned the set button for image review but then I have to press the magnify button on the other side of the camera, usually with my left hand. I am using the 100-400mm mk2 and the balance is awful when doing this.

Am I missing something or can one handed zoomed image review be achieved?

flickr (external link)

sponsored links
LJ3Jim
Goldmember
1,056 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 11, 2015 17:10 |  #2

Assign the Set button to the magnify function.

Regards, Jim

Image editing ok; C&C always welcome.

Triplexbee
THREAD ­ STARTER
183 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Feb 11, 2015 17:16 |  #3

But that would mean that the play(review) button would then be on the left hand side again, right? Which is back to square one.

flickr (external link)

ppmax
170 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 11, 2015 17:35 |  #4

I would suggest setting the Magnification in menu item PLAY3 to "actual size." When you push the magnify button it will zoom to 100% on the active focus point. You can then use the top scroll wheel to zoom in/out.

Canon changed the way the zoom in/out behaves between the 7D and 7D2...

HTH
PP

Canon 1DX Mark II, EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 IS USM Mark II, EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.4
Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 AS IF, 14mm f/2.8 ED AS IF UMC

LJ3Jim
Goldmember
1,056 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 11, 2015 18:01 |  #5

Triplexbee wrote in post #17427623 (external link)
But that would mean that the play(review) button would then be on the left hand side again, right? Which is back to square one.

Nope. It brings up the image at whatever magnification you have set in the menu. I have "actual size" chosen. When I press the Set button, the images is displayed and it's already zoomed in. It works great!

Triplexbee
THREAD ­ STARTER
183 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Feb 12, 2015 10:11 |  #6

I was so caught up in trying to use the same set up as my 7D that I completely missed doing it this way. It's as good as before and I feel when I stop trying to press the thumb buttons in review I will eventually find it better.

Thanks for the solutions.

flickr (external link)

LJ3Jim
Goldmember
1,056 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 12, 2015 11:33 |  #7

Triplexbee wrote in post #17428614 (external link)
I was so caught up in trying to use the same set up as my 7D that I completely missed doing it this way. It's as good as before and I feel when I stop trying to press the thumb buttons in review I will eventually find it better.

After I got used to it, I do like it better.

pknight
Goldmember
2,655 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Feb 12, 2015 14:49 |  #8

Triplexbee wrote in post #17428614 (external link)

I have had my 7D II for a week, and this is the thing that I still haven't gotten used to. I think that the new system is inherently better, but after 5 years with a 7D, it is taking a while to acclimate.

Digital EOS 7D Mark II Canon: EF 50mm f/1.8 II, EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro, Life-Size Converter EF Tamron: SP 17-50mm f/2.8 DiII, 18-400mm f/3.5-6.3 DiII VC HLD, SP 150-600 f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2, SP 70-200 f/2.8 Di VC USD, 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 DiII VC HLD Sigma: 30mm f/1.4 DC Art Rokinon: 8mm f/3.5 AS IF UMC

sponsored links

1,710 views & 0 likes for this thread
7D2 Magnify Question
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.