Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
Thread started 11 Feb 2015 (Wednesday) 14:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Roller bag suggestions

white ­ venom
Goldmember
1,318 posts
Gallery: 84 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2011

Feb 11, 2015 14:20 |  #1

I'm In the market for a roller bag to hold my 6D and 7D both with grips and gear in my signature. I am leaning towards the Think Tank Airport Takeoff due to the versatility of it converting to a back pack. Anyone use this bag? Pro's or con's... Also any other recommendations on other bags.

Thanks in advance for any help

Gear List~Website (external link)~Facebook (external link)~500px (external link)~flickr (external link)
Feedback-1 2345

sponsored links
ThreeHounds
852 posts
Gallery: 80 photos
Joined Mar 2014
Post edited over 5 years ago by ThreeHounds.

Feb 11, 2015 14:47 |  #2

Not familiar with the Think Tank, but I recently got the LowePro Pro Roller X200. Love it as a roller case that's carry on friendly. Haven't had the opportunity to try it as a back pack for an extended period, but it looks like it may not be the most comfortable hiking pack.
If I'm going to go slogging around for a full day, I'll probably take my Tamrac Expedition 7x along also, and transfer whatever gear I need into that.

5D MkIII | 7D | Bronica ETRS
EF 24-105 f/4 L | EF 85mm f/1.8 USM | EF 17-40 f/4 L | EF 70-300 f/4 L | Sigma 35 f/1.4 Art | Zenzanon 105 f/3.5 | Tamron SP90 f/2.8 Di Macro VC USM
flickr (external link)

psurrette
529 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Apr 2006

Feb 11, 2015 21:37 |  #3

I have the airport International which is the same size without the backpack option. For me I would not want to carry it as a backpack as loaded it would be very heavy. Just depends on how much gear you are going to put in it. Great bag, I have 5 TT bags and love them all.

|SportsShooter Member (external link) | PeteSurrettePhotograph​y.com (external link) | Cameras: Fuji XT 2, Fuji XT 1 | Lens: Fuji: XF 10-24 f4, XF 16-55 f2.8 WR, XF 35 f1.4 R, XF 501.2, XF 50-140 f2.8 R, 100-400 f4.5-5.6 | Bags: Thinktank, Domke, Pelican | Feedback: 1-2-3

Motor ­ On
941 posts
Joined Feb 2007
Post edited over 5 years ago by Motor On.

Feb 11, 2015 22:05 |  #4

I love the TT Airport Security. Right now for basketball I carry it and a Retro 50 ontop of it, and the wheels have saved my back many a time. I thankfully only needed the backpack converstion once and at 60+ pounds with ramp and elevator closed, it works but was not fun. It really comes down to the size you want. Think ahead, the bags are expensive enough I think of them as long term investment not nessicarly just a means to carry what I have now but what I'll be hauling in 3-4 years. I've dug through all the TT bags at the camera shop, the attention to the details is there across the board.

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link)

snowblower
123 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 11, 2015 22:36 |  #5

ThreeHounds wrote in post #17427421 (external link)
Not familiar with the Think Tank, but I recently got the LowePro Pro Roller X200. Love it as a roller case that's carry on friendly. Haven't had the opportunity to try it as a back pack for an extended period, but it looks like it may not be the most comfortable hiking pack.
If I'm going to go slogging around for a full day, I'll probably take my Tamrac Expedition 7x along also, and transfer whatever gear I need into that.

I looked at both of these bags in the "quote" and decided to go with the LowePro Pro Roller X200. It seemed to be a much more durable bag for air travel and honestly you can put more gear in it. It has held up well during my travels. I bet you can get all your gear listed in the bag easy. I can put my 1D-X, 16-35, 24-70, 70-200 and the 800 in it + the Speedlight. The 800 is a monster and almost takes up 1/2 the bag. The bag weighs a ton but rolls very easy, great wheels on the bag. Only drawback is if you travel out of the country this bag does not meet the "Europe/Asia" size requirements for carryon. The bag is a little too big. I avoid the issue by traveling on US airlines (Delta, United, American, etc.) When I go overseas because their domestic carryon rules are a little more liberal and allow this bag in the overhead where European carriers will not. I admit I have not used the back pack portion because I usually take a smaller bag for my gear in my checked luggage and use that when I reach my destination. I'm one of those bad people according to my wife that will sacrifice clothes for camera gear.

Canon 1D-X Mk II | Canon 1D-X | Canon 5DIII |Canon 8-15 F4L Fisheye | Canon 16-35 F2.8L | Canon 24-70 F2.8L II | Canon 35 F1.4L II | Canon 50 F1.2L | Canon 85 F1.2L II | Canon 70-200 F2.8L II IS | Canon 400 f2.8L | Canon 200-400 f4 IS Extender 1.4xL | Canon 800 F5.6L | Speed Light 600 EX II x6

ThreeHounds
852 posts
Gallery: 80 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Feb 12, 2015 08:21 as a reply to  @ snowblower's post |  #6

My plan when traveling outside US is to carry on the back pack insert, which should fit fine into the int'l overheads, and put other items like a jacket or other items i don't need on the plane into the roller shell and check it. The insert is basically the same size as my Expedition and I had no problem with that traveling through Europe last year.

5D MkIII | 7D | Bronica ETRS
EF 24-105 f/4 L | EF 85mm f/1.8 USM | EF 17-40 f/4 L | EF 70-300 f/4 L | Sigma 35 f/1.4 Art | Zenzanon 105 f/3.5 | Tamron SP90 f/2.8 Di Macro VC USM
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

1,111 views & 0 likes for this thread
Roller bag suggestions
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.